Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Default Taurine + ZMA

Taurine is, if anything, even cheaper than ZMA. At Beyond-A-Century it's 300 grams for $5.75, and it's completely tasteless.

I find that if I use 6-9 grams of L-taurine with the ZMA that I don't have that window of opportunity with regards to getting to sleep.

If you have this problem, and I know a few of you do, try taking 9 grams of taurine before bed. If that works, titrate it down to the least effective dose. IIRC, 1 teaspoon = ~3 grams of L-taurine.

For some reason the L-taurine itself helps me with sleep. At one point in time I knew why, but I don't anymore, and I'm too lazy to look it up at this time.

Cheap fix for a common problem.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

"Taurine also functions as a neuroregulator and nerve cell growth factor. It promotes a calming effect by inhibiting the release of norepinephrine and acetylcholine, and stimulating the release of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Taurine increases the production of serotonin and melatonin by stimulating the activity of N-acetyltransferase, resulting in normalization of sleep and nerve functioning."

or something like that....good tip
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Robb Wolf

Good stuff! I forgot about Taurine...used it years ago. MOD- you big smarty pants!

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb Wolf View Post
MOD- you big smarty pants!
My evil plan is working....thanks to Google and Cut and Paste technology I appear to become the ruling expert so only to sell more of my E-Books....wait....am I thinking out loud again....damn unfreezing process...
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Ronnie Ashlock

Is this the same taurine that's touted as the magical ingredient in Red Bull (and has it's origins from bull liver but is now synthesised in labs)?
Ronnie Ashlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Steve,

How has the taurine+ZMA going for you? I just switched to the biotest brand ZMA last week and the past 2 nights if I get woken up at all I'm awake for hours, tired but unable to fall asleep.

I was originally taking the GNC ZMA (2 months) which was Zinc arginate as opposed to the biotest brand which is aspartate. That's the only difference really between the 2 products, I think.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #7
Steve Shafley

I ran out of taurine.

I've been taking care to really make sure I get to sleep in the window of opportunity.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Derek Simonds

I started taking ZMA 3 nights ago. The first night slept like a log, second night woke up once or twice and last night was just crazy. I was up and down all night long. Really vivid sleep / dream sequences. I wasn't exhausted this morning just didn't sleep like normal.

I also seem to be much more thirsty and drinking water more often. I will keep going to see how it washes out.

I went with the Vitamin Shop brand and it is Zinc Asperate

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Robert Allison

I've been taking ZMA for about three weeks now. It has improved the quality of my sleep, and helped with recovery. About two weeks ago, I started taking about 2 g of taurine along with the ZMA. It seems to prevent some of the problems with waking up during the night, but I still had crazy dreams.

I also ran out of the taurine... I may try that brand Steve recommended. It is less expensive than the stuff I picked up at the local health food store.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #10
Dave Van Skike

Default Good tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Taurine is, if anything, even cheaper than ZMA. At Beyond-A-Century it's 300 grams for $5.75, and it's completely tasteless.

I find that if I use 6-9 grams of L-taurine with the ZMA that I don't have that window of opportunity with regards to getting to sleep.

If you have this problem, and I know a few of you do, try taking 9 grams of taurine before bed. If that works, titrate it down to the least effective dose. IIRC, 1 teaspoon = ~3 grams of L-taurine.

For some reason the L-taurine itself helps me with sleep. At one point in time I knew why, but I don't anymore, and I'm too lazy to look it up at this time.

Cheap fix for a common problem.
Smart. Will give that a try.