Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #21
Jay Cohen

Excellent mind set and good post.

Also agree with you and Doc G on up hill work. I've rediscovered the benifits of the treadmill.

Set to 15 degrees, crank up to 10 MPH, do 20 secs sprint, rest 40. Great short, fast hard WOD.

Chow On
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #22
Susie Rosenberg

Man, oh man.

I am sore today, mostly in the muscles all around my shoulder joints, precisely the muscles I have moved the least during the past seven months. It's a good sore, though; the sore of muscles that have been worked the right amount past their limits. The kind of sore that promises gains in strength, if responded to appropriately. (ie, REST)

But, the two physical therapists I've been working with have suggested strongly that I don't do real strength work until I have full ROM of the left shoulder, because growing muscle before the joint mobility is restored might result in less ultimate ROM. Much as I don't want to listen to that---I feel ready to take on growing muscles---it makes sense, and I think it would be wise to stop the lifting and pulling for a while longer, work on mobility. *sigh*

Today all I will do, if I get to it, is walk. We're having about 20 people for dinner tonight, and I have a ton of stuff to do.

Yesterday's meals:

B: 2/3 c. cooked oat bran w/blueberries and cream; 2 eggs w/swiss cheese
L: large green salad w/shredded cabbage, beets, avocado, olive oil, 2 oz. salmon
D: meatballs, cauliflower and broccoli w/butter, 1/2 c. quinoa

Cal: 1448 51% fat, 27% carb, 22% protein (85.3 gm. pro)

I have been feeling wonderful, great mood and good energy. Amazing. Two weeks ago, I was tired, cranky, and discouraged. Thank you, Jay!

Susie
Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #23
Jay Cohen

Susie;

You're doing the hard stuff and getting great support from a great group of friends.

Enjoy your dinner party

Life's a Journey, enjoy the trip.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #24
Susie Rosenberg

Just came back from NIA class (sort of combo dance and T'ai Chi), 60 minutes.

I really like this kind of rehab!

I'm still pretty sore just from the teensy work with weights I did last week, in a way that makes me feel not good in the neck and spine, so I skipped them today. I think maybe twice a week is plenty to start off with, so if I'm feeling better I will do some strength work on Wednesday. Tomorrow's my 2 hour dance class, which I do for the sheer joy of it.

One thing does seem to be getting clearer and clearer to me: I'm not in a place to be thinking about "athletic training" yet---I'm doing repair, strengthening and rehab work.

It's just an utter joy to be so free of debilitating pain and to be able to MOVE. I don't want to muck it up by getting too ambitious too soon.

I'm not disciplined about taking my supplements, so this week, I'm going to commit to getting that fish oil in.

Susie
Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #25
Steve Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
One thing does seem to be getting clearer and clearer to me: I'm not in a place to be thinking about "athletic training" yet---I'm doing repair, strengthening and rehab work.
Though you may have more limitations than you like at this point, you can still be an "athlete in training". There are things you can't do now, but there's a lot that you can do. Part of the challenge is discovering which is which without taking a bad turn. Take care.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #26
Susie Rosenberg

Steve, your response got me thinking this morning about what's been going on with me the past few days.

I've noticed something: when I think of myself as a recovering athlete, it's easier to discipline my eating, but more frustrating to bump up against my physical limitations, which is stressful.

When I think of myself as striving for good health and function, I find myself eating with less restraint and discipline, but not as hung up on performance at activities, and just taking more pleasure from being able to move without excessive pain.

I really don't know who I am anymore with regard to this part of my life.

What makes this hard is coming off a Crossfit template for fitness. I think what happened to me last year is that I trained to my peak, and then overtrained. Right before my surgery, I had true adrenal fatigue (if you believe in that sort of thing) because I was training hard at the gym, and dealing with life-threatening illnesses in both of my children, as well as my neurologic condition and my upcoming surgery. I'm sure that the reason it took me so long to recover (and why I developed the frozen shoulder) was because of this burnout.

So I am conflicted when I go to the gym. I don't know whether to tough it out or take it easy. I'm just really thinking this out here and now.

When I do a risk/reward analysis, it gets clearer.

1. I am not a professional athlete whose career is on the line.
2. My goals are to be able to enjoy life and have sufficient fitness to do the things I really want to do, most notably travel, hike, bike (if possible) and to feel intensely well and vital, as I did when I was highly, but not over, trained. I'll never forget how wonderful it was to keep up with my teenaged son hiking, kayaking and rock-climbing during a trip out West.

To that end, it's better to go slowly and under-train (at this point) than to overdo it and suffer the consequences. The rewards of pushing hard---getting there faster, getting stronger quicker, feeling like a badass, etc.---just aren't worth the risk of injury or even excessive fatigue at this point.

So where does that leave me? (I'm going to talk to myself out loud now)

1. Remember, this is only your second week of regular, daily physical activity!
2. Continue to develop the ability to listen to your body and trust its wisdom in healing.
3. Think about the primary attributes of fitness---endurance, strength, and flexibility---in new, creative ways.
4. Train for vibrant health with the same degree of dedication and excitement as you trained for Crossfit. Create a new yardstick instead of the leader board.
5. Realize that every choice you make in terms of diet and supplementation is even more critical now, because you are supporting your repair and recovery. Since you are emerging from a critical BURNOUT state, EVERYTHING you choose must support recovery.
6. Learn especially novel ways of strength training: think resistence bands, bodyweight, etc.
7. Start the process of finding yourself a sensitive and skilled coach who won't impose a Crossfit template on your program.

That helped! I'm going to go enjoy my dance class today without guilt that I am not working on heavy deadlifts or, heaven forbid, "Fran." I have just enjoyed my breakfast of brussel sprouts cooked in bacon and topped with two eggs. Now I'm going to take my fish oil and call it a morning!

Susie
Old 11-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #27
sarena kopciel

Susie, I love you
sarena kopciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #28
Steve Rogers

You're right not to rush things. Under the circumstances it's best to sneak up on your fitness potential rather than charging up that hill as quickly as possible. Taking time to decide what you want to be fit for is also important.
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #29
Craig Brown

HI Susie-

Looks like you are doing great! I am going to use you as my diet guardian angel for inspiration as I get back on track.

Best-
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #30
Susie Rosenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Brown View Post
HI Susie-

Looks like you are doing great! I am going to use you as my diet guardian angel for inspiration as I get back on track.

Best-
Oh, man. You're in trouble now.

Susie

ps: Love ya right back, Sarena!

pps: I enjoyed the heck out of my 2 hour dance class. It's a lot more fun putting my shoulder through a ROM to music than it is cranking it out during a PT session. (Yes, I am doing all my ROM exercises. I'm stuck mostly at external rotation, so I lean into doorways a lot and reach behind me to clasp hands.)

Tomorrow, I am hoping to do a little rowing, maybe a couple of 500 m. sprints, then walk uphill on the treadmill. I don't like doing hill sprints on the treadmill because my balance isn't 100% yet, but I can handle a steady pace uphill, so I'll do that, too.

Add to that some declined situps, back extensions, plank poses and pull-up assists on the machine, and that should be a day! Thursday, I'll swm.

Susie

Today's meals:

B: brussel sprouts, bacon and eggs
L: sm. handful walnuts
D: burger, carrots, green salad w/bleu cheese dressing
nonfat plain Greek yogurt, berries, few walnuts