Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
Liam Dougherty Springer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 338
Default

Thanx Dr. G.... I will apply the info... seriousely doubt I have Insulin sensitivity problems.... I am typicaly a lowish carb high fat paleo IF type of guy.... The ZMA is something I have really beem interested in but what is GABA?

Oh and I usually drink a ton of water but no where near 3/4 gallons.... when I am not IF ing I have a hard time consuming the amount of water I would like for fear of it interupting my digestion and right now as I am in a bulkin Phase I don't IF as much as usual. I am gonna get on the drinking more earlier though.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #12
Darryl Shaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
Thanx for all the input..... I will try the unplugging and I am gonna get some magnesium for before bed....

Darryl I am trippin off the you shouldn't wake up to go to the bathroom thing I am sure I am not diabetic but I guess I had better get the prostate checked I am only 29.....

Dr. G you have input on the urinating at night issue?
The reason you shouldn't wake up to go to the bathroom every night, well okay, you should wake up if you have to go lol, is because around sunset your pituitary gland releases a burst of vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone, ADH) which tells your kidneys to start concentrating urine so that your bladder doesn't fill overnight. Obviously if you're drinking excessive volumes of fluids at night there's a good chance your bladder will fill before dawn forcing you to get up but if you aren't drinking to excess then it's worth getting tested for the other two main causes of polyuria namely diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
Before going to the doctors though try reducing your fluid intake after sunset and don't get too worried if your urine gets darker as the evening wears on because that's just the ADH doing it's job.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #13
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Liam, I meant 0.75 gallon (96 oz.), not "3 or 4" gallons. If I do a lot of exercise, I'll take in closer to a gallon or maybe more of water daily.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Liam Dougherty Springer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Liam, I meant 0.75 gallon (96 oz.), not "3 or 4" gallons. If I do a lot of exercise, I'll take in closer to a gallon or maybe more of water daily.
I am Cracking up right now...... LOL just wouldn't cut it.

I was thinking I would be floating away. However durring long fasts I can easily consume well over a gallon.

Darryl cool info. on the ADH I will try and decrease fluid intake post sun set.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
Nancy Woods
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The reason you shouldn't wake up to go to the bathroom every night, well okay, you should wake up if you have to go lol, is because around sunset your pituitary gland releases a burst of vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone, ADH) which tells your kidneys to start concentrating urine so that your bladder doesn't fill overnight. Obviously if you're drinking excessive volumes of fluids at night there's a good chance your bladder will fill before dawn forcing you to get up but if you aren't drinking to excess then it's worth getting tested for the other two main causes of polyuria namely diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
Before going to the doctors though try reducing your fluid intake after sunset and don't get too worried if your urine gets darker as the evening wears on because that's just the ADH doing it's job.
hello all,
Wow, you sure know your medical stuff, Darryl----thanks for the information.

I also use a herbal product called "Holy Basil" made by New Chapter company is the best one. It helps fight stress by supporting good adrenal function and balancing cortisol levels; and helps me sleep.

Cortisol is what the body produces when it thinks we have a "fight or flight" to deal with, but it dumps too much into our body and it is hard to process this out again. In the old days, or if you are still in a job where stress actually means a physical "life or death" issue; this cortisol is necessary.


help for....allergies
Nancy Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:19 AM   #16
Darryl Shaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Woods View Post
Wow, you sure know your medical stuff, Darryl----thanks for the information.
Thanks but just so there's no confusion I should make it clear that I don't have any medical training or qualifications. The only reason I know anything about ADH is because my pituitary gland doesn't produce any so I have to take a synthetic form of vasopressin (ADH) to regulate my fluid balance.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #17
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
Thanks but just so there's no confusion I should make it clear that I don't have any medical training or qualifications. The only reason I know anything about ADH is because my pituitary gland doesn't produce any so I have to take a synthetic form of vasopressin (ADH) to regulate my fluid balance.
Diabetes insipidus. That sucks.

Is it genetic or from like trauma or something? If you don't mind me asking.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:04 AM   #18
Darryl Shaw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Diabetes insipidus. That sucks.

Is it genetic or from like trauma or something? If you don't mind me asking.
MRI scans show that the posterior lobe of my pituitary gland is malformed but because I've had all the symptoms of DI since childhood and there's no sign of trauma or tumors my diabetes insipidus has been diagnosed as being idiopathic.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
Liam Dougherty Springer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 338
Default

Follwed all above suggestions other than going to get tested for diabetes. and there has been improvement the biggest change has been since adding ZMA. I am going to get tested for Diabetes just gotta get some health insurence.

I now will often have a period of 4-6 hrs. without awakeing. sometimes two consecutive 3 hour periods still that is much better than I was doing. And I am gettin 7-9 hrs of total sleep / night. Overall if any one is haveing any similar problems try out this thread.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
Craig Loizides
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hillsborough, NJ
Posts: 120
Default

Maybe sleeping through the night is unnatural and not the other way around:

http://fabulousforager.com/2008/01/s...-clock-around/
Craig Loizides is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator