Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default A sugar free elementary school?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/12/11...ool/index.html
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
Arien Malec

There is a partnership between Chez Panisse and the Berkeley School District to reform the school lunch program in Berkeley. It didn't go as smoothly as the Georgia program seems to, but is still going.

http://www.chezpanissefoundation.org/lunch.html
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

How about more recess and gym so they can burn off the sugar instead.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I like this idea better.

But that's a step in the right direction at least..
Old 12-14-2008, 11:14 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Removing sugar might be seen as a solution....but it's still about making people being able to make the right choices with anything in front of them....not hiding and taking away all the bad guys.....as Coke and Snickers isn't going away anytime soon. The lunchroom should have healthy choices, but unless they plan on shutting down all candy bar and soda factories globally....personal responsibility is a better lesson to teach kids....as the temptations will always be out there.

We had soda and candy machines in our school....never wore bike helmets....and ran around the playgrounds made of cement....the whole "protect our kids from the evil things" is not the answer.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell; 12-14-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Jason Tanner

From my experience of growing up in Georgia (I'm 19), I highly doubt they would ever put more recess in school. Now a days, more and more recess is taken out in order to take standardized tests. It's unfortunate that this has happened, as I see this may only get worse.
Jason Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Scott Kustes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
From the article:
Quote:
The school day starts with an hour of jumping jacks, exercising and dancing -- one morning to the beat of "Whoomp! (There It Is)" as the children bounce and sing along. Students also eat a breakfast of omelets, soy milk, organic cereal and turkey sausages.
Also:
Quote:
Simone Davis, who was a fifth-grader when the school banned sugar, credits the program with ingraining lifelong lessons about healthy eating.

"I was one of the heavier students in elementary school, so I really lost a lot of weight and just became healthier overall with the changes," said Davis, who is now a slender junior at Spelman College. "Kids were hyper, bouncing off the wall and those things changed."
It seems to me that things like this are helping. Teach kids what real food tastes like and they're more likely to make those decisions when they have the choice. The same thing works if kids are fed lots of good foods at home...they are less likely to opt for the crappy foods at school.

To change the system requires many small steps, so let's not be too quick to denigrate steps in the right direction. Given how much we talk about insulin control, it would seem that removing sugar is a HUGE part of the solution. Not the whole solution, but since diet is 80% of health, it's a big part.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
John P. Walsh

I would never go for the state dictating my childrenís diet. The libertarian in me chaffs at the very notion. However these kids are essentially wards of the state since so many depend upon government handouts including free and reduced lunch. Therefore I think the state has a right to serve what they see fit and the recipient should be thankful they are receiving anything. School lunches may be the only nutritious meals they eat. In my own ghetto upbringing in the 1970s I can recall many of my classmates eating potato chips and cola for lunch although there wasnít a fat kid in the class. Having said this I donít think the article indicates either success or failure. Itís just few slices of anecdotal evidence that could be very influenced by other factors. Iíd like to see what happened with the studentís weight levels. One could easily eat a wholesome lunch and then blow it at dinner time. I do it all the time.

The question for me is not so much whether eating right is appropriate but whose responsibility is it? At my childrenísí school they had ďfreeĒ breakfast for everyone since a certain percentage of the student body lived below poverty. I found out one of my boys was eating his normal nutritious breakfast at home cooked by my wife and then he went off to school to eat a bowl of Froot Loops. The state reasoned that breakfast is after all the most important meal of the day. Froot Loops was the natural choice. Thankfully the school lost the free breakfast status due to a large influx of children of gentrifying types.

http://moynihaninstitute.com/
John P. Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote