Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 AM   #11
Tony Ferous

Im using now brand BCAA powder...at first it tasted vile, but strangely its gowing on me...i actually savour the taste now. Perhaps they are killing my taste buds though.

What are BCAAs made from anyhow? My bottle says it contains no milk.
Im thinking they are a good bet for me i avoid milk products, otherwise whey may be a better bet, you get the bcaas and the other aminos.
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:45 AM   #12
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Right. I think that the 4th school would be the Lean Gains approach noting that most of them end up as glucose in the blood (if I remember correctly).

I think he's more of an EAA guy than BCAA guy (again, if I remember correctly).

I'd rather eat whole protein sources, a lot of them, and spend the money on sleep supplementation... but my sleep patterns are more sporadic than a new born's.
I thought he had said in the Lean Gains approach to have them before working out as he didn't recommend fasted workouts? I also thought he advocated PWO shakes?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Derek Weaver

Yeah, he's cool with PWO shakes, but I think he's an Essential Amino guy.

Here's an excerpt from Jamie Hale's work: Knowledge and Nonsense: The Science of Nutrition and Exercise.

M. Berkhan: No, you get plenty off BCAAs from food protein sources, especially whey protein. There’s nothing showing any benefit of excessive dosing. Because BCAAs are very glucogenic, they will most likely end up in your bloodstream as glucose. Bodybuilders who eat piles of protein and consume BCAAs on the side are throwing money down the drain.

Gant made a good point though that if you're hypocaloric with less than 1gr. of Protein/lb of LBM, then BCAAs are critical. People start Zoning and wonder why their back squat falls by 35%...
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #14
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Thanks for the answer, but why might they be more effective pre workout? I thought BCAA's were just broken down proteins...but I know very little about BCAA's other than that other people use them and they work.

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/co...act/281/2/E197
Quote:
Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise
Kevin D. Tipton1,2, Blake B. Rasmussen1,2, Sharon L. Miller1,2, Steven E. Wolf1, Sharla K. Owens-Stovall1, Bart E. Petrini1, and Robert R. Wolfe1,2

1 Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, and 2 Metabolism Unit, Shriners Hospitals for Children, Galveston, Texas 77550

The present study was designed to determine whether consumption of an oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement (EAC) before exercise results in a greater anabolic response than supplementation after resistance exercise. Six healthy human subjects participated in two trials in random order, PRE (EAC consumed immediately before exercise), and POST (EAC consumed immediately after exercise). A primed, continuous infusion of L-[ring-2H5]phenylalanine, femoral arteriovenous catheterization, and muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis were used to determine phenylalanine concentrations, enrichments, and net uptake across the leg. Blood and muscle phenylalanine concentrations were increased by ~130% after drink consumption in both trials. Amino acid delivery to the leg was increased during exercise and remained elevated for the 2 h after exercise in both trials. Delivery of amino acids (amino acid concentration times blood flow) was significantly greater in PRE than in POST during the exercise bout and in the 1st h after exercise (P < 0.05). Total net phenylalanine uptake across the leg was greater (P = 0.0002) during PRE (209 42 mg) than during POST (81 19). Phenylalanine disappearance rate, an indicator of muscle protein synthesis from blood amino acids, increased after EAC consumption in both trials. These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #15
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post

As for BCAAs, it depends on your program and your diet. If you're Zoning, you might want to add them, regardless of program. If you're doing CF, you would probably benefit from them but don't need them. If you're doing anything else that involves daily weights, then thrown em down.
What if I was doing something that involved daily bodyweights??? I'm currently on a gymnastic-focused plan for a while.

Quote:
Yeah, he's cool with PWO shakes, but I think he's an Essential Amino guy.

Gant made a good point though that if you're hypocaloric with less than 1gr. of Protein/lb of LBM, then BCAAs are critical. People start Zoning and wonder why their back squat falls by 35%...
I'm already getting at least that much protein daily, around 150g on rest days (from all whole foods) and 200g on work days(extra 50g's comes from pwo shake), and I weigh around 140, but if I was looking for more protein, would BCAA's not be the way to go? What about EAA's?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
Derek Weaver

I think you're probably fine. What's total caloric intake for the day?

I think that if you're eating enough food (at least maintenance amounts) and obviously you're getting enough protein, then BCAA's don't really matter. You're getting enough from your protein sources... assuming they're not crap like vegetable and soy proteins.

If you're cutting the fat (I hope you're not at 140 lbs. and your height and age. I'd assume there's not too much to cut) then BCAA's are a nice addition.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
Chris H Laing

Quote:
I think you're probably fine. What's total caloric intake for the day?
Not sure. I've only been tracking protein on fitday, but for the next couple days i'll track it all and see. I'd guess around 3000.

Quote:
I think that if you're eating enough food (at least maintenance amounts) and obviously you're getting enough protein, then BCAA's don't really matter. You're getting enough from your protein sources... assuming they're not crap like vegetable and soy proteins.

If you're cutting the fat (I hope you're not at 140 lbs. and your height and age. I'd assume there's not too much to cut) then BCAA's are a nice addition.
Haha not soy protein, and I do eat a lot of veggies, but not for the protein. And I get my fill of fat daily, and love it!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
Derek Weaver

I wouldn't worry about it then. I'd invest in digestive enzymes to help break down and absorb all that nutrition you're eating. Probiotics should come in before BCAA's too in my opinion.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #19
Bradley Martyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
The taste of BCAA combo powders was one major reason I'm interested in leucine by itself...I don't know how true the T-Nation marketers are, but they said their leucine (by itself) doesn't change the flavor of things it is added to much if at all...

Nothing is good for you if you can't manage to get it past your taste buds...
L-leucine, is L-luecine is L-leucine, i have tried a few varities, some from Purebulk.com as well as T-nations L-Leucine, it tastes like complete trash haha, but you just have to man up. The best way to take it is get some water in your mouth like your going to gargle mouthwash after brushing your teeth, and then put a scoop in there then drink a bunch of water to wash it down. Since the BCAA's when coming into contact with water usually like to float on the top, the water under it will keep it from touching your tounge.. Its alot like taking a shot. (the right way).
Old 02-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #20
Daniel Olmstead

I started taking BCAA's (capsule) a few days ago, and yesterday and today I've noticed an unpleasant bitter taste in my throat after I eat - regardless of when the meal is in relation to taking the pills. Are these things correlated? Has anyone else had this experience?