Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training

Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Jacob Rowell

Default DE/Speed training for strongman

First, thanks to Greg and Allen help starting this sub-forum. Hopefully we'll get lots of activity going on around here!

I'm about to start training in a more specific manner for my next contest. I'll be doing the WV state/regional strongman championships on April 18th. The events are:

Log press for reps @ 200
Truck Pull
Farmer's Walk @ 200 for distance
Partial DL @ knees for max weight
Stones 175-275

This is a light contest in general, and I'll be competing in the 200# class. On my first contest, which was fairly similar to this in some ways, the guys who did best were the quickest, not necessarily the strongest. It seems that this is the case for lightweights in particular.

I've never done any Westside style training, and I was considering implementing some DE work after reading this article: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/dy..._strongman.htm . Given that I need to be the guy moving submaximal the fastest (because it will be a long time before I'm the strongest), it makes a good bit of sense. I've been doing o-lifting for awhile, by my technique is the pits and I'm not progressing well, and would just like a change of pace.

My plan was to have a dynamic effort day, doing presses, dls, and squats, and have some ME stuff spread out over the week(Box squats, DLs from knee height, and log presses)

I don't claim to have a complete understanding of WS methods by any means, but I would like some feedback from people who have trained in this manner as to whether this is a good idea, and general experiences with DE work. Thanks!
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Jacob;

I'm glad this new thread has started. Best of luck and I'll watch with interest as you progress.

I'm throwing the shot, discus and Javlin in the PA Senior games(over 50 folks), but have an interest in Strongman comps. Being only 5'9" and 170ish, not sure I'd have a prayer.

Chow On
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Jacob;

I'm glad this new thread has started. Best of luck and I'll watch with interest as you progress.

I'm throwing the shot, discus and Javlin in the PA Senior games(over 50 folks), but have an interest in Strongman comps. Being only 5'9" and 170ish, not sure I'd have a prayer.

Chow On
in my recent experience, i would argue having a prayer is overrated.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rowell View Post
First, thanks to Greg and Allen help starting this sub-forum. Hopefully we'll get lots of activity going on around here!

I'm about to start training in a more specific manner for my next contest. I'll be doing the WV state/regional strongman championships on April 18th. The events are:

Log press for reps @ 200
Truck Pull
Farmer's Walk @ 200 for distance
Partial DL @ knees for max weight
Stones 175-275

This is a light contest in general, and I'll be competing in the 200# class. On my first contest, which was fairly similar to this in some ways, the guys who did best were the quickest, not necessarily the strongest. It seems that this is the case for lightweights in particular.

I've never done any Westside style training, and I was considering implementing some DE work after reading this article: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/dy..._strongman.htm . Given that I need to be the guy moving submaximal the fastest (because it will be a long time before I'm the strongest), it makes a good bit of sense. I've been doing o-lifting for awhile, by my technique is the pits and I'm not progressing well, and would just like a change of pace.

My plan was to have a dynamic effort day, doing presses, dls, and squats, and have some ME stuff spread out over the week(Box squats, DLs from knee height, and log presses)

I don't claim to have a complete understanding of WS methods by any means, but I would like some feedback from people who have trained in this manner as to whether this is a good idea, and general experiences with DE work. Thanks!
this guy knows speed work for overheads.

http://www.theverticalanswer.com/sho...vp&shop_param=

this guy is a LW beast. who borrows some ideas for DE/ME work in this article

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effe...an_routine.php

is those contest weights for sub 200? looks like it will be a fast contest.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Jacob Rowell

thanks Dave,

I've kept up with Brian Amundsen's stuff through p&b, very informative. What I find interesting is doing DE work with the implements. I was considering doing DE work with the bar and doing the ME stuff with the log/axle/whatever.

Hadn't seen the other guy's stuff. I will probably implement something along the lines the powerlifting/strongman routine. My gym lifts aren't where they need to be!

To top it all off, my shoulders started hurting during jerks today (but strangely enough, not during my pressing before)
Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Adam Gagliardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Rowell View Post
thanks Dave,

I've kept up with Brian Amundsen's stuff through p&b, very informative. What I find interesting is doing DE work with the implements. I was considering doing DE work with the bar and doing the ME stuff with the log/axle/whatever.

Hadn't seen the other guy's stuff. I will probably implement something along the lines the powerlifting/strongman routine. My gym lifts aren't where they need to be!

To top it all off, my shoulders started hurting during jerks today (but strangely enough, not during my pressing before)

BA definitely knows his stuff. So does Tom M, the other link.

I may see you there Jacob, as a 200, even though i hate the light/ fast contests(they definitely dont favor me).

IMO if you already have the strength do do the events, just sticking around those weights and working on speed/ endurance will be the most beneficial.

I Usually do heavy events one week, lighter, longer , faster then next week. It's been working for 2+ years for me.

as far as DE work for the gym, I think Defranco is more on the money for an athlete, which i consider SM competitors to be. More jumping/plyo/ traditional sprinting stuff then light fast squatting/ pressing. I didnt really notice much of a difference when doing DE days in the gym, but it may work for you. IMO your better off keeping OLY stuff in your program then using the typical WS DE days. The argument was/is that the DE days with squats/deads/bench are better for athletes b/c the OLY lifts take too much time to learn/perfect...this wouldnt be the case for someone who already knows the OLY lifts. As far as bands+ chains go, i like to use them on my normal days or ME work.
Adam Gagliardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
Jacob Rowell

Jay - I don't have a prayer either. I'm 6'2, 190#, and not particularly strong. Good times!

Adam - Thanks for the suggestions. The only events I seem to be any good at are the quick/light ones. I scratched the press event at my first 2 contests, I'll be happy if I can squeeze out just a couple reps this contest. I'll say it again, your log work looks great - my shoulders have been protesting all my jerk work lately, but I hope to get there soon.

I'll post up some specifics when I get this next programming cycle planned out, try to incorporate some of the suggestions you guys have had, and see what you think. Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Brian Amundsen

Thanks for the kinds words guys.

I'm toying with the idea of putting together an Overhead Strength Manual.
Brian Amundsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #9
Alex Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Amundsen View Post

I for one would be quite interested in such a document.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Amundsen View Post

I'll buy it.