Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Nutrition Logs

Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Steve Kaspar

Default are these breakfasts good for you?

maybe i'm wrong, but looking at all these posts on what everybody is eating for breakfast, seems totally different from what i have ben hearing and eating for years. looks like there are a lot of people eating sausages, beacon, cheeses, creams, which i heard the past number of years is not good. maybe a bit, in moderation, but it looks like these folks eat a lot. i would like to hear from some top of the line nutritionist how this kind of high fat, high saturated fat is good for you.
just in comparison, i look at lance armstrongs diet. his coach and nutritionist have to be some of the better ones out there. no fly by night dr. or coach. he eats his pasta, fish, fruits veggies, salads olive oil, chicken, steak, rice..
i thing he is better informed than we are. he races his bike for a living. most of us wanna gain a few pounds and squat 300 instead of 250...
so where is the info that says eating all this high calorie, high saturated fat is good? i would like to follow up on the reading. i havent had beacon in years. cream or sausage either.... cheese on everything... not me. but if its ok, per a top nutritionist, not just some dude wanting to gain 10 pounds, i'll have a few slices of the fatty beacon myself.
i may have been missing out these last 50+ years.
please, if anyone can provide some good info on the way everyone is eating, and say its not harmfull, let me know...
thanks alot
steve
Steve Kaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
George Mounce

I eat eggs, meat, bacon oh ya.

My cholesterol is well within the low levels. My blood work astounds doctors.

Probably because they are used to seeing people who eat....doughnuts, muffins, grain-based CRAP.

Ancient man didn't have these things, he killed some animal, ate some berries and fruits off the ground, picked a few things he could see and did well. Wasn't until agriculture that the average life span went from 65 to 35. Modern medicine has kept the idiots alive longer than new fangled diets, and tastebud special foods every have.

Lance Armstrong also during races burned 10,000 calories a day on mountain days. You are comparing his need for fuel to...whose? Specialized athletes can eat quite a bit, look at the debate over Phelps' diet. They eat that way because they can burn the fuel. Normal people eating that way would get fat, and they do.

I really, really suggest you read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

Edit: One thing to note, the arguably most powerful woman in the world, Oprah, recently just complained about being back up to 200 pounds. She has enough money to buy an army of nutritionists, and yet she's fat, rich yes, but still fat. Goes to show you people with the money to buy smart people, no matter how much they have or how well they do, will not be healthy if they do not put forth the effort to do so.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Steve, this site has great info on sat fats and heart diseases/cholesterol.

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/index.html
Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Steve Kaspar

Default good oils?

very confusing. i know olive oil is good for you, but what other oils are good? its confusing reading about all the oils. i thought canola and safflower were good. not it sounds like they are ok at best..
what are good cooking oils? i put the olive oil over pasta and other dishes, but what about oils to cook in?which ones re the best?
thanks
steve
Steve Kaspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Kisholi Mendis

Steve, I think most people on these forums favour butter and coconut oil for cooking, as do I. Ghee or lard are other options if you have them.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kaspar View Post
very confusing. i know olive oil is good for you, but what other oils are good? its confusing reading about all the oils. i thought canola and safflower were good. not it sounds like they are ok at best..
what are good cooking oils? i put the olive oil over pasta and other dishes, but what about oils to cook in?which ones re the best?
thanks
steve
This thread has 2 links to some sites, check it out:
http://www.cathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3575
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #7
Nick Hanson

I vote that you cook in lard. Its got an ability to perform well in high heat and doesn't add any flavor to your food. Plus it looks awesome.
Nick Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

I am with George. Bacon, eggs, and more bacon is the breakfast of champs!
With a little fruit and nuts or avo, and you are starting a great day.

Olive oil is fabulous... but you could use the left over bacon grease too

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Anaya View Post
Bacon, eggs, and more bacon is the breakfast of champs!
Olive oil is fabulous... but you could use the left over bacon grease too
I just "poach" my eggs in the bacon grease, so I never have leftover problems.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:49 AM   #10
Derek Simonds

I had 3 eggs cooked in butter, 2 slices of ham and half an avocado for breakfast yesterday. It was heaven.

It's funny how you kind of stated (and I am paraphrasing) this type of diet is ok when you want to add 10 lb's but probably not healthy in the long run. I am in a mass gain phase right now and am eating closer to what Lance eats on a daily basis than what I normally consume. And truthfully I feel like crap consuming more grains, pasta and the like. I have started phasing them back out and I already feel better.

I was however able to put on about 15 lb's in 3 months. Now back to my healthy eating of protein, fat and vegetables.

If you haven't read The Paleo Diet or Lights Out Sleep Sugar and Survival they would be great places to start to understand what a lot of us are doing. Good Calories Bad Calories is a great read also.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote