Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 01-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
Derek Maffett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
I shall hastily write to my good friend at Honda N America to chide him for all his mollycoddling middle managers.....
That's not what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
But I'm quite sure they didn't get there by molly-coddling their employees and tolerating those who were unproductive and generally royal screw-ups.

Quote:
who is tesla?
Nicola Tesla. Essentially a genius (my opinion, you can judge for yourself). Google.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #22
Dave Van Skike

i was goosing you...

of course, I know tesla..they just put a new album.

http://www.teslatheband.com/

Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #23
Kevin Perry

hehe
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #24
Derek Maffett

Yeah, them. Amazing research into hair lengthening technology. The lead singer's doctoral thesis was mind-blowing.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #25
Allen Yeh

I know it's Nike but I still like this commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mMi...eature=related
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #26
Derek Maffett

Hehe. His failure level is over 9,000!!

Oh, come on. Everyone was thinking it.

And incidentally, he does not succeed by failing over and over and over again. He succeeds because he doesn't fail too incredibly much. If failure were the reason for success, everyone could be a star basketball player.

He didn't mention one single word about learning from his failures.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #27
Mike ODonnell

Wayne Gretsky once said "You miss 100% of the shots you never take"....that and it's fun hitting the lights, glass, boards, defensemen and other random objects and people with some bad aim once in a while.....
Old 01-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #28
Derek Maffett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
that and it's fun hitting the lights, glass, boards, defensemen and other random objects and people with some bad aim once in a while.....
That is a perfect example of a time where failure equals success.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #29
Dave Van Skike

Ascending Soapbox.

I'm not sure why this matters but here goes.

Derek, what you're clearly not understanding or at best dismissing is the fundamental nature of learning and knowing process that this discussion gets at.

Yes, learning from mistakes is good. fewer mistakes would seem to be better, somewhere out there is an engineer who can figure stuff out on paper first and execute the first time or the 50th time..I met this guy at a bar once...he was hella boring.

that is not the point.

in between pursuing success and avoiding mistakes is a balance point. those that find it, do well and enjoy themselves. those that don't are forever mired in suckatude and become lawyers and/or engineers and/or planners.

the balance point in my mind hinges on two things experience and judgment. Without experience, (first hand..flat on your face screw up experience)..you don't acquire judgment....

what do I mean by judgment? What I mean is that if you have acquired enough experiences and reflected on what you have seen and done, you can look at set of new circumstances, and make a reasoned stab at the right answer and execute on a level that theorists cannot. It is my belief that herein lies genius.

Bobby Fisher
Michael Jordan
Brett Favre
Soichiro Honda

people who worry about making mistakes spend a lot of time and energy amounting to nothing. at the very least, those that don''t sweat it and let it ride as best they can have more fun taking the thousand shots that miss than the guys riding the bench wringing their hands.

"“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” TR.

descending soapbox.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #30
David Aguasca

Default Don't mess with Honda

Besides, Honda makes ROBOTS. They can walk up stairs and jog and dance...they have a jogging, stair-walking, dancing robot army. Where's your robot army, Derek?
David Aguasca is offline   Reply With Quote