Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #11
Garrett Smith

I think your performance slip can easily be tracked down. I like to think I'm pretty decent at this stuff.
Quote:
I had been running in my Vibrams, but I purchased the Mizuno Wave Universe 2.0 for the PFT. I had a normal workout week, minus the running because of the pain I had in my shins and feet.
Pain in your feet/shins after changing shoes that make it difficult if not impossible to run in the style you had trained in up to that point? No way! This race day (or race week) change is likely completely responsible for your run time being poor. Don't do that one again, no matter what anyone says about your Vibrams. If you had the pain in your feet/shins before the PFT, and after you switched to the Mizunos, your culprit is obvious. I don't care if Michael Jordan wore a new pair of shoes every game, at least he always wore the same shoes!
Quote:
I didn't get a good night's sleep for the PFT because I had to wake up at 4 am and drive 1.5 hrs down to San Diego.
Poor sleep the night before and a long AM drive sure aren't going to help matters. I had a similar situation before my TSC (we drove from Tucson to Chula Vista CA in the very wee hours of the morning, something like an 8 hour drive to be at the comp. by 10am). I was used to supplement stimulants (back then ephedrine and caffeine were used), so those helped me shake out the cobwebs. I still could feel the fatigue from poor sleep, in the back seat of a car, no less.
Quote:
I had some eggs and a banana in the morning, so I don't think potassium was an issue with the cramping.
If you don't normally experience cramping, then my guess is that the shoe change, lack of sleep, and your caffeine naivete is what did it in combination.
Quote:
Do you think that the cold weather made my legs heavy?
Not really, only for the first part of the run, unless you were way underdressed.
Quote:
I couldn't do POSE running at all because my legs were dead.
I believe you couldn't do it because of your shoe change.
Quote:
Maybe the crunches fatigued my hip flexors?
Possibly. To avoid this in the future, if the PFT always goes in the same order, always do your crunches before you run. That's a simple problem to fix.
Quote:
I usually run after 9 am, so usually it's not too cold. With the PFT, I didn't have my usual warmup jog and it was 7 am, so it was pretty cold. I did a lot of joint mobility work to warmup though.
Next time bring a jump rope, problem solved.
Quote:
Anyways, I think I had a Mark Twight moment for like the second time, except this time I wasn't CrossFitting. I think I actually need to build up my aerobic base again before I focus most of my running on interval training. I guess specificity, even for training for the military, can be pretty important.

Another sad thing about this is that I'm incredibly sore in my shins, feet, and quads from running that slow.
I think your training was plenty adequate. I think your "race day" preparation was an example of a bunch of things not to do, and you paid the price. If you learn from this experience it will likely never happen again.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
Donald Lee

Yeah, you're probably right, Dr. G. Except, I got the shin and feet problems with the Vibrams. The PFT was the first time I ran in the Mizunos though. I think a combination of not having done a light run a couple days prior to the PFT to loosen the legs up, the caffeine, lack of sleep, and the crunches might have all contributed to a bad run. On a side note, I might have had some chest pain at about the 3/4 to 1 mile point, but I don't remember. If I did, it was probably from the caffeine. I remember distinctly wanting to quit because I wasn't feeling great, but the Marine Corps doesn't really care about how you feel, so I finished and eventually my only problem was the severe cramping.

I started doing some weighted toe raises by tying a plate around my feet, so I'm going to see how that works to minimize shin problems.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Garrett Smith

My further suggestions:

If you are getting shin and foot problems in Vibrams, running what you believe to be POSE, I'd highly suggest you spend the $$ to do a session or three with a POSE coach to make sure you are doing it right. As I understand and have experienced it, the shins are hardly involved (in terms of being stressed or fatigued) in POSE, so if you are having problems, it is either from lack of adaptation to the new style, or the possibility you are doing it incorrectly.

The chest pain could have been from the cold air and not warming up, as well as the caffeine.

Sounds like the "perfect storm" for a crappy test result. I'd say learn from it, then kick a$$ the next time.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
George Mounce

Post up a video of you doing Pose running, perhaps we can all help and benefit from it.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
My further suggestions:

If you are getting shin and foot problems in Vibrams, running what you believe to be POSE, I'd highly suggest you spend the $$ to do a session or three with a POSE coach to make sure you are doing it right. As I understand and have experienced it, the shins are hardly involved (in terms of being stressed or fatigued) in POSE, so if you are having problems, it is either from lack of adaptation to the new style, or the possibility you are doing it incorrectly.

The chest pain could have been from the cold air and not warming up, as well as the caffeine.

Sounds like the "perfect storm" for a crappy test result. I'd say learn from it, then kick a$$ the next time.
Thanks for the advice. I still need to work on my POSE some more to minimize the impact that I have on the ground. I think I need practice more than coaching. Plus, I just found out that I'm broke. Credit cards can be a crazy thing...
Old 02-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #16
Garrett Smith

More jump rope.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #17
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
More jump rope.
My jump rope broke about a month ago. Thanks for the reminder to purchase a new one.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
George Mounce

I've also found this can help too for a warm-up or for general training:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie...&hilit=senders
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #19
Craig Loizides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Something went horribly wrong, whether it was the coffee or not. I am sure I have the conditioning to run faster than 33:35. I could do that with zero running. I was hoping for about 23 min.

On a side note, I was doing the interval protocol in one of Brian MacKenzie's CFJ articles, prescribing 8 x 200 m intervals (total 1 mile) with 3 min rest and lowering the rest until you get down to 1 min. Then, you lower the interval time by 1-2 sec and up the rest again and work back down to 1 min. According to those calculations, I started off based on a 24 min 3-mile time. I started at 3 min rest and worked down to 1 min rest. It was all easy until I did the intervals with 1 min rest, which caused all my recent leg problems (probably because I was already tired that day).

I am wondering whether with a protocol such as this, whether I should have had a good aerobic base prior to implementing this.
I like 8x200 a lot, but for something like a 5k I prefer active recoveries to static recoveries most of the time. My favorite is run 200 meters at about mile pace and recover with a 100 meter jog in the same amount of time. Start with about 8 reps and work up to 12-16. I'll also do run 800/ jog 400. Or you can just do a fartlek where you run a couple miles at a comfortable pace with a few periods of faster running mixed in.

The 200/100 workout is basically a Billat 30-30 workout:
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0896.htm

You need to be a little careful with the interval work. You might recover enough aerobically to complete the next round, but your legs might not be recovered enough to run with proper form. That's when injuries occur. I usually stop with a couple rounds left in the tank.
Craig Loizides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #20
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Loizides View Post
I like 8x200 a lot, but for something like a 5k I prefer active recoveries to static recoveries most of the time. My favorite is run 200 meters at about mile pace and recover with a 100 meter jog in the same amount of time. Start with about 8 reps and work up to 12-16. I'll also do run 800/ jog 400. Or you can just do a fartlek where you run a couple miles at a comfortable pace with a few periods of faster running mixed in.

The 200/100 workout is basically a Billat 30-30 workout:
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0896.htm

You need to be a little careful with the interval work. You might recover enough aerobically to complete the next round, but your legs might not be recovered enough to run with proper form. That's when injuries occur. I usually stop with a couple rounds left in the tank.
Sound advice.

I did Tabata sprints today. The form was definitely getting iffy.