Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default wasnt really sure where else to stick this

Can anyone think of the best (or at least a vary effective) way to build strength (and maybe even a small touch of size) while also increasing your numbers in bodyweight exercises needed for PT (pushup, pullup, and situp)?

I had two main thoughts. The first is to do two moderate strength days (say Monday and Thursday) whether it be with weights or low-rep bw exercises( feet elevated pushups, weighted pullups, etc and two calisthetic days (say Tuesday and Friday). I cant imagine this approach giving to many massive gains, but I can definately see it providing a steady increase over a period of time.

The other thought was to just do a strength workout 3 days a week and end it with cals, be it until failure or in a circuit fashion, or whatever.

And before anybody says it, I have tried G2G before, it doesnt work for me. I always forget to do them. It will be like 'every time I go in my room, 5 pushups and 3 pullups' and I go in my room several times throughout the day, and I never remember to do the act.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Dave Van Skike

density training of some kind is pretty foolproof.

google this:

bryce lane have it all

dragon door ethan reeve pullup one the minute
Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Patrick Yeung

This has been working for me very well, and it may work for you.

I started doing a modified density training program after I learned about it.
ATM: 4 pull ups/min for 15mins - 3 pull ups/min for 5. Next week, itll be 4/min for 20, adding 1 rep in 5 min incriments. My Goal was to get 100 in 20mins, then work the time down.

You can do this with any exercise really, and at any incriments. I started with 2 pull/min for 20mins

In the gym, im pretty much working my way up to 3 RM for the bench/front squat at the moment. This will be Mon/Wed, then one other day. Sometimes its Friday, sometimes saturday, sometimes, not at all.

Total volume seems low, even for 4-5 days of lifting. Ive been making gains in my lifts, and my total pull ups have been increasing.

Lately, ive been losing weight with this though, but im probably not eating enough. Midterms these last two weeks, and not feeling hungry at all.
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Do Tabata push/pull/sits, separately, once or twice a week. The first 3-4 weeks will be tough. After that, you'll make fast gains.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Brandon Enos

I have another question based on this problem. I see it all the time when people sy they do say 100, 200, whatever hundred pushups every morning. Wouldnt they expierence overuse injuries?

Im asking because I like the idea of using bodyweight workouts over barbells solely because I like being able to do my workout anywhere without having to worry about finding weights. So for strength building workouts, Im leaning towards low rep, hard bodyweight exercies (feet elevated pushups, pushups/pullups with weight vest, pullups using a rope, etc) and some sandbag stuff maybe to add a little resistance for squats and stuff like cleans and shouldering for the lower back and hammies.

Would doing low rep bodyweight workouts one day and say the tabata type workout to help with numbers the next cause an overuse injury or anything, or should I not even worry about it?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Anything too much can cause overuse injuries.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Patrick Yeung

Okay, so I was thinking more about what you were saying, it didnt make sense, but then it sounded somewhat familar.

You may have been referring to Pavel's strength program.

He has it that you do 5 reps, randomly, or at least after full rest, to increase both volume of max, and max efforts.

I did this for awhile, and it really helped me with my air squats and pushups.

His program worked you up to 5 reps of one handed pushups, that could be elevated, on one leg, etc to keep the effort down to 5. And, then pistol squats.

This may be what youre looking for.

And about overuse, if it starts to hurt or get sore, take some time off, or switch it up. Its more a problem when you push through it, like runners continuing on after pain.
Patrick Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Brandon Enos

Yeah, greasing the grove. Like I said, good in theory, I just could never remember to do the damn things.