Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #1
Craig Bailey
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 9
Default Proper Clean Technique

I recently watched a video on a Crossfit affiliate page touting a PR by one of their members in the clean and jerk. While performing the Clean the person caught the weight in the split jerk position instead of the front squat. Since Iím relatively new to OLY lifting I was wondering if this is a modified clean or just poor technique.
Craig Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
Blair Lowe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 594
Default

I think I've seen some footage of split clean and snatch but I'll admit it's weird. I want to say I think I've seen the other Everett do it.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Sam Nutt
Member
 
Sam Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 92
Default

Yeah, it was almost certainly Josh Everett. It's not poor technique, just uncommonly done.
__________________
Goals:
140kg C&J | 90kg Sn | 500lb. DL | 1:15 400m | 15s FL | BW Press | 1:20 500m row
per aspera ad astra
Sam Nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Robert Callahan
Member
 
Robert Callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 94
Default

google "split snatch" or "split clean" They are leagal, though uncommon because they are less efficient movements? I think people use them when there are flexibility issues with preforming squat cleans or snatches? Someone correct me if I am wrong
__________________
"I swear by my life and by my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"
Robert Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Don Stevenson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 502
Default

Until the early 70's split clean and snatch were very common.

These days most lifters can lift more with the squat versions but they are still legal in competitions and heaps of masters lifters still use the split because it's the only way they've ever lifted.
Don Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Aaron Austin
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Copper Cliff, ON
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
google "split snatch" or "split clean" They are leagal, though uncommon because they are less efficient movements? I think people use them when there are flexibility issues with preforming squat cleans or snatches? Someone correct me if I am wrong
Robert, I believe you are correct in saying they are alternative to the squat style if flexibility is a problem. This is how they were introduced to me by my coach. However, my flexibility issues were in my wrist, forearm and triceps my issue was with the bar racking in my shoulders regardless of foot position.
Aaron Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Robert Callahan
Member
 
Robert Callahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nevada
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Austin View Post
Robert, I believe you are correct in saying they are alternative to the squat style if flexibility is a problem. This is how they were introduced to me by my coach. However, my flexibility issues were in my wrist, forearm and triceps my issue was with the bar racking in my shoulders regardless of foot position.
Yeah I can't see how it would help wrist, forearm, triceps flexibility issues much... I believe it is hamstring inflexibility that it mainly assists for. If you have super tight hamstrings getting into a deep deep squat, whether overhead or front, is not going to be easy or safe at times.
__________________
"I swear by my life and by my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"
Robert Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Aaron Austin
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Copper Cliff, ON
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Yeah I can't see how it would help wrist, forearm, triceps flexibility issues much... I believe it is hamstring inflexibility that it mainly assists for. If you have super tight hamstrings getting into a deep deep squat, whether overhead or front, is not going to be easy or safe at times.
Quite right. I had to do daily static stretching to build the wrist, forearm and tricep flexibility.
Aaron Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.