Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
jason long

Default Stupid Questions

Hello all, I'm very new to IF and am reading quite a bit on the subject, however I am a product of the Memphis public school system so bear with me as I still have a couple of possibly stupid questions:

1.) How intermittent do the lengths of fasting need to be? I have been sticking to a 15 hour fast each day (longer after a cheat night) because it works with my schedule. Should I stick with this until it stops working or should I attempt to vary the length each day?

2.) I might be showing my ignorance here, but I have heard conflicting statements regarding aspartame. I have heard that it can trigger an insulin response just like sugar, but I have also read that it cannot do so without calories present (a zero calorie diet soda for example). Here is my question: I'm a gum junkie and I love stride gum. I started thinking about it and happened to read the nutritional info for stride: 3.5 calories and contains aspartame. Am I causing an insulin response if I chew this gum during my fast? Should I even care if it does? Or am I totally off base?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, and don't worry, I'm not fragile, so please be honest. Thanks in advance , Jason
jason long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Why are you doing IF....for health or fat loss? Or just like it? As for the gum....I say ditch it....artificial sweeteners are not ideal during a "true" fast (although it won't really make you fat either).
Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
jason long

Mike, thanks for the response. I guess I would say I'm doing it for both reasons. I have some fat I want to lose, and I'm interested in the long-term health benefits. I also do kinda like it. I'm one of those people who seem to have better workouts fasted. I have been avoiding the gum during my fast since I began to question it. i was curious as to the insulin effects. Also any ideas on the varying of fast lengths?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

16-24hr is the typical range.....people who are more active and enjoy doing IF more often will do 16-18 hr ranges....others may do the 24hr 1-2x a week. Both can get results....really all depends on your workouts and whether you still eat enough to recover. For longevity....well get low insulin and that will take you a long way. As far as all the science of CR and IF...still much is out but most of the studies do use longer fasting ranges like 24-36+ hour ranges. Eating whole foods vs processed will do a long way to improve your health and prevent disease at the cellular level. Also you can play around with low carb days and higher day refeeds.

In the end....find what works for you and play around with it. I enjoy more the 16-18 hr window most often....while every now and then throwing in a 22-24hr fast. of course some days I just eat whatever and whenever....hence keeping the whole "intermittent" part in IF.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
jason long

Mike, I'm currently a 5 on 2 off Crossfit WOD guy, with some running and swimming thrown in throughout the week (not a ton). I'm 32 years old 6'2, 204 lbs. at 14% BF (My record high!) and am currently at 20 blocks 2x fat WAM with paleo foods. Cheating one day a week, but it's a doozy when i do it. I try to stick to 20P 16C 52F per day right now in about an eight and a half hour window. I don't mind weighing and measuring and i like paleo, it's just a logistical nightmare sometimes to get 5 meals in that time frame. I feel great and am happy so far with the results, but i want to get my BF back to single digits (i know you hear that all the time) without my performance suffering. I'm not in a hurry and am content to do it slowly, as i got myself in this predicament. Whew, sorry to drop all that on you but i'm a newbie at this style of eating and wanted to run it past somebody experienced. do you see any glaring errors with what i'm doing so far? Thanks in advance for your patience with an intellectually challenged person.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Aspartame is chemical garbage, I could care less about the insulin response.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Willem Koster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason long View Post
Hello all, I'm very new to IF and am reading quite a bit on the subject, however I am a product of the Memphis public school system so bear with me as I still have a couple of possibly stupid questions:

1.) How intermittent do the lengths of fasting need to be? I have been sticking to a 15 hour fast each day (longer after a cheat night) because it works with my schedule. Should I stick with this until it stops working or should I attempt to vary the length each day?
If it works, don't "fix" it. There's nothing wrong with your approach (hee, it's working isn't it ?). There's no reason the vary the length.

Quote:
2.) I might be showing my ignorance here, but I have heard conflicting statements regarding aspartame. I have heard that it can trigger an insulin response just like sugar, but I have also read that it cannot do so without calories present (a zero calorie diet soda for example). Here is my question: I'm a gum junkie and I love stride gum. I started thinking about it and happened to read the nutritional info for stride: 3.5 calories and contains aspartame. Am I causing an insulin response if I chew this gum during my fast? Should I even care if it does? Or am I totally off base?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, and don't worry, I'm not fragile, so please be honest. Thanks in advance , Jason
Don't worry about a single piece of gum. You'll be fine (as long as you don't take in heaps and heaps of aspartame)
Willem Koster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
jason long

Thank you both for the comments and insight. Willem, i agree wih the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. i just wondered if i would see more benefits from longer fasts. of course i think i would have a hard time fitting all of my blocks in with a smaller eating window. As far as the gum goes, i figured i was being kind of OCD about the insulin, but i don't want to counteract the effects of the fast. thanks again.