Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #21
Arden Cogar Jr.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise View Post
I got a question, how heavy was that kettlebell on the russian twists?
I must shamefully admit that's one of my wife's bells. It's a 12kg.

All the best,
Arden
__________________
Lifting heavy stuff is fun and relative......
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #22
Timothy Scalise
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 135
Default

it looked so big that is why I asked.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #23
Arden Cogar Jr.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise View Post
it looked so big that is why I asked.
That particular bell is an AKC bell. American Kettlebell Club. All the bells are the same size (competition size and competition handles) but vary on weight dependent upon color. The 8s are pink, the blues are 12, the yellows are 16, the purples are 20, the greens are 24, the oranges are 28, and the red are 32. I think the 36 is white, and the 40 is silver. And the AKC 48, I believe, is gold, but I could be wrong about that. I would defer to Cate Imes as she's much more learned than I on the subject and the lifting.

I have lots of kettebells. My AKC bells are all the same size - 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg. Then I have sets of Dragon Door's 40kgs, and 48kgs. I also took my 12kg, 24kg, and 32kg K2s to the Charleston YMCA.

The AKC bells are kinda like 20kg fat bumpers......they make you feel heeeeuuuugggggge and strong.

All the best,
Arden
__________________
Lifting heavy stuff is fun and relative......
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #24
Timothy Scalise
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
That particular bell is an AKC bell. American Kettlebell Club. All the bells are the same size (competition size and competition handles) but vary on weight dependent upon color. The 8s are pink, the blues are 12, the yellows are 16, the purples are 20, the greens are 24, the oranges are 28, and the red are 32. I think the 36 is white, and the 40 is silver. And the AKC 48, I believe, is gold, but I could be wrong about that. I would defer to Cate Imes as she's much more learned than I on the subject and the lifting.

I have lots of kettebells. My AKC bells are all the same size - 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg. Then I have sets of Dragon Door's 40kgs, and 48kgs. I also took my 12kg, 24kg, and 32kg K2s to the Charleston YMCA.

The AKC bells are kinda like 20kg fat bumpers......they make you feel heeeeuuuugggggge and strong.

All the best,
Arden
interesting, I never really knew there were different types of kettlebells to be honest, nor compititions for them. and I know what you mean i like using the bigger weights makes me feel like a beast even though its light lol. when I do 70kg snatches I use the green and yellow plates so it looks like its more with the 2 plates. lol.
Timothy Scalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:11 PM   #25
Dave Ogilbee
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Turlock, California
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Thanks Dave!! Coaching for O-lifting is a learned process. If you're a stand alone place, that's not associated with crossfit, I would recommend the USAW club coaching cert. They are conducted all over the US and all you need to do is go the USAW - US Weightlifting site; calenders for the club coaching certs are listed.

If there's xfit gyms in your area, xfit and Greg offer awesome courses/certifications. Greg's are very impressive. My hope is that he and Aimee host one closer to where I live this Fall or early next springs. I'm all about learning as much as I can.

My hope is to attend the Regional Coaching Course conducted at Moorestown NJ this July. I'll never be a regional coach as you have to have a certain number of lifters, who qualify for national comps, sign you off as their coach. My main impetus for attending the RCC is to attend the week long "Weightlifting Camp" hosted by the Moorestown Weightlifting Club. I know it's not the summer camp my daughter had hoped for, but it's one she can go to with her chubby daddy.

All the best,
ARden
Thanks for the info Arden! I've been wanting to try to get to some of the O-lift certs. I live in CA and it's not a big deal to drive to Greg's gym (one of these days, would love to see the new place). I don't actually own a gym, i'm just a regular there, to the point most everybody knows where i'm headed when I come in . It's just inspiring to hear about people like you, Greg and Mike B. that are passionate about what you like to do to the point you'd willingly give up time to give somebody a point or two. To me, that's what it's all about.
__________________
"Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it."

-George S. Halas
Dave Ogilbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 AM   #26
Arden Cogar Jr.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Scalise View Post
interesting, I never really knew there were different types of kettlebells to be honest, nor compititions for them. and I know what you mean i like using the bigger weights makes me feel like a beast even though its light lol. when I do 70kg snatches I use the green and yellow plates so it looks like its more with the 2 plates. lol.
Tim,
Grivory Sport is pretty awesome. I've done two informal competitions and I've not done overly well - the competitions are 10 minute sets and you can't put the bell down during that time frame and you can only switch hands once. It sucks on a level that should only be tested ocassionally.

I'm not much for truly training GS, but I do it for cardio when I'm not event training heavily. Otherwise, I use the bells "hard style" or for explosiveness - similar to O/L. But I hear you on using the greens and yellows. Makes me feel heeeuuuggggggeee.

All the best,
Arden
__________________
Lifting heavy stuff is fun and relative......
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #27
Arden Cogar Jr.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ogilbee View Post
Thanks for the info Arden! I've been wanting to try to get to some of the O-lift certs. I live in CA and it's not a big deal to drive to Greg's gym (one of these days, would love to see the new place). I don't actually own a gym, i'm just a regular there, to the point most everybody knows where i'm headed when I come in . It's just inspiring to hear about people like you, Greg and Mike B. that are passionate about what you like to do to the point you'd willingly give up time to give somebody a point or two. To me, that's what it's all about.
Dave,
My pleasure. Any way I can help I will. Greg and Coach B are awesome. Simply awesome.

All the best,
Arden
__________________
Lifting heavy stuff is fun and relative......
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #28
Arden Cogar Jr.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 694
Default

Finally had my phone over in my barn this morning, so I snapped a couple updated photos. I've reworked the entire thing over the past few years. I'm very proud of her.

All the best,
Arden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.8.09 mh.JPG (23.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 4.8.09 mh 2.JPG (21.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 4.8.09 mh 3.JPG (24.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 4.8.09 mh 4.JPG (22.8 KB, 9 views)
__________________
Lifting heavy stuff is fun and relative......
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #29
Allen Yeh
Senior Member
 
Allen Yeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,245
Default

that is one awesome home gym
__________________
"And for crying out loud. Don't go into the pain cave. I can't stress this enough. Your Totem Animal won't be in there to help you. You'll be on your own. The Pain Cave is for cowards.
Pain is your companion, don't go hide from it."
-Kelly Starrett
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator