Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 04-23-2009, 07:06 AM   #21
Yuen Sohn

Another fail of mine was spraining my wrist pretty badly during a PR attempt squat clean a couple years ago. It took about 3 months until it actually felt normal again. The problems were 1.) the increase in weight was too large relative to my max 2.) I was fatigued (having already missed at that weight twice) and 3.) I got lazy with the elbow whip.

Lessons learned:
-That I need to always channel as much aggression into the elbow whip as I do with the 2nd pull.
-Take smaller jumps approaching 1RM weights
-Keep PR attempts to ~4kg or under for snatch or clean and jerk...that's just what works for me.
-Ignore peer pressure and know when to call it a day
...in retrospect, these all seem like no-brainers, but I guess I had to learn the hard way.

Next Steps:
On the bright side, the time off from being injured gave me the chance to re-evaluate my clean technique and rebuild it from square one. I ended up losing the arm pull and really improved my overall positioning.
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Arden Cogar Jr.

For me, it was when I was first learning to squat clean. I had 225 or 102 on the bar and I was set to do doubles. I was doing two sets. On the first rep of the first set, I caught the bar a bit high and rode it down. Then somehow my weight shifted a bit and I fell backwards. Luckily I had the presence of mind to shove the weight away from me before I got trapped by the bar. Ended up on my duff with a red face.

Not to admit the defeat or the embarssment, I immediately stood up, grabbed the bar again and proceeded to my second rep.

The 2nd rep was even less graceful than the first.

It was awesome. Unfortuantely, I didn't record it. I wish I had. It was realllllly embarassing. Oh, and I skipped the 2nd set. As it was the Y - a larger gym - and it was pretty busy that day. One of the trainers came up to me afterwards, and he's not afraid of me in any way despite my ogre like appearance, and commented "so, you're not quite grasping 'the squat' part of the 'squat clean' are you?" We had a good laugh and it was all good.

What I learned - use lighter, completely controllable weights when you're learning a complex movement.

Next step - my OCD personality pretty much speaks for itself. I still don't feel completely competent in the movement, but my confidence has increased dramatically. I've gotten to a point where I feel I can squat clean just about whatever I can front squat - but I've not tried it, I just feel that way for some reason. No way in blue hell I can jerk that now, but that's only part of the process.

All the best,
Arden
Old 04-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #23
Chris Forbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Then somehow my weight shifted a bit and I fell backwards. Luckily I had the presence of mind to shove the weight away from me before I got trapped by the bar. Ended up on my duff with a red face.
Heh. I've had this happen to me. But I'm a skinny bastard that can fit underneath the bar (when loaded with 45# weights) so I don't have to worry about trapping myself.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #24
Arden Cogar Jr.

Ew, forgot about one from my college days when I was powerlifting. All suited/wrapped/cramped up at a globo gym at peak hours, screaming my head off, getting all pscyhed up with my power lifter buddies. A group of five us trained together and we were all doing the same meet. We used to beat the absolute shit outta one another before a near max lift. It was awesome. Got some pictures of some nice bruises to prove it.

I believe we were about 10 days out from the meet and I was working my way up to my openers in the squat. Had on old Ernie Frantz suit on. It was single ply (this was the late 80s). Anyway, the squat stands face away from the rest of the gym. So when you backed out with the weight on your shoulders, other gym members would either see your ass or the dude who was spotting you from behind.

Since the weight wasn't overly heavy - as it was an opener, I didn't have a spotter behind me. As I walked it out, I had two spotters on the side. I reckon the weight would have been in the mid 500s. I was lifting in the 220s then. As I went into the hole, the ass of the squat suit ripped loud as all hell - beyond that the whole ass end of the suit literally shredded from my taint to about the middle of my back. I reckon the whole gym saw at least a portion of my ass crack - as we were all wearing the "old school floral print banana hammock buy your underwear in a tube" at the time.

Got up with the weight. Racked it. Undid my knee wraps and did the walk of shame to the locker room to change back into my shorts. I got at least a dozen thumbs up from other members in the gym. Not sweet.

What did I learn - still don't know.
What did I do differently - still trying to figure that one out too.

Oh yeah, anyone ever crap themselves on a reallllllly heavy set of squats before? That's a story for a different time.

all the best,
Arden
Old 04-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #25
Duke McCall

Well, I am not sure it constitutes an EPIC FAIL, but I learned again last week--the hard way--about the need to pay attention when lifting. I was working on rack jerks when I remembered something I needed to tell my wife. I ran up stairs and spoke to her for a couple of minutes before running back downstairs to resume my workout. I was still thinking about our conversation when I started my last set of rack jerks. Lost in thought, I neglected to pull my head back. The collision between the bar and my chin was violent enough to chip a tooth and nearly knocked my out. Fortunately, muscle memory took over and I completed the lift without dropping the bar on my head.

After the cobwebs cleared, I finished my workout with a bit more focus on what I was doing and no more problems. But I am having to fight the urge now not to push the bar forward on my jerks.
Duke McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #26
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Cogar Jr. View Post
Oh yeah, anyone ever crap themselves on a reallllllly heavy set of squats before? That's a story for a different time.
Almost, once during SS. But i was lucky enough to hold it in and make it to the toilet after finishing my set...barely.