Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
Catherine Imes

Thanks Garrett. I lurk here often; I find the information on the board quite good.
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
Chris Lampe

Garrett and Catherine,

In a previous thread both of you had some pre-personal experience reservations about the Perform Better comp bells but in this thread you both seem to recommend them. Have you both now had the opportunity to work with these bells?

I have an AKC bell and will soon need a heavier bell. The Perform Better bells are substantially less expensive than the AKC so I'm wondering how they compare. If the quality is there I'll go with the Perform Betters.

Thanks!
Chris Lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 AM   #13
Catherine Imes

I don't recommend the Perform Better Bells for the record. I'm just fair and balanced

I personally have never used them, but have friends who did and said they were the same.. What I have discovered through others is that the Perform better and AKC bells are from the same mfg. In fact, PB shipped (mistakenly I guess) painted bells with the AKC/WKC Logo on them

The AKC was running a 20% discount on their bells which would put them closer in line to the PB bells. Also, I'm not sure what sizes PB offers at this point. I thought they just went up to 24kg, but I could be wrong.

Basically, I don't blame anyone for shopping for a better deal. So, if you can get a better price with the PB brand, go for it. They are the same bell.

CI
Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
Chris Lampe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Imes View Post
I don't recommend the Perform Better Bells for the record. I'm just fair and balanced

I personally have never used them, but have friends who did and said they were the same.. What I have discovered through others is that the Perform better and AKC bells are from the same mfg. In fact, PB shipped (mistakenly I guess) painted bells with the AKC/WKC Logo on them

The AKC was running a 20% discount on their bells which would put them closer in line to the PB bells. Also, I'm not sure what sizes PB offers at this point. I thought they just went up to 24kg, but I could be wrong.

Basically, I don't blame anyone for shopping for a better deal. So, if you can get a better price with the PB brand, go for it. They are the same bell.

CI
Catherine,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to check out the 20% off AKC bells. Might be worth a few extra dollars to get a bell with the handle already stripped of paint.
Chris Lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
David Boyle

For high-rep KB work I would go w/ the following:

Dragon Door
Ader
Apollo
Life-line
Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
glennpendlay

I've got a bunch of Ader bells, because I used to sell them. I have used DD, Apollo, Powermax, and a number of others. Of these, the Ader and DD feel the best to me, and feel just about the same.

But, having had the chance on a couple of occasions to use AKC style bells, I feel like their is no comparison. This style of bell is definately way better for long sets. I would love to have some, and soon will. I am waiting, because there is soon to be a third company carrying the same bell that AKC and PB carry, and they are going to be cheaper than either one.

glenn
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:38 AM   #17
Bill Ripley

Free shipping at Perform Better through May 15.
Bill Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #18
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennpendlay View Post
I've got a bunch of Ader bells, because I used to sell them. I have used DD, Apollo, Powermax, and a number of others. Of these, the Ader and DD feel the best to me, and feel just about the same.

But, having had the chance on a couple of occasions to use AKC style bells, I feel like their is no comparison. This style of bell is definately way better for long sets. I would love to have some, and soon will. I am waiting, because there is soon to be a third company carrying the same bell that AKC and PB carry, and they are going to be cheaper than either one.

glenn
My gift to myself when I get promoted in July is a set of the 16, 24, and 32kg AKC pro KBs. Can't wait to own them.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
Catherine Imes

That's Great George. It's also a good time to buy. They have significantly reduced the prices.

CI
Old 05-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #20
glennpendlay

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/mdprosecoke.html

Competition bells from MDUSA, pretty good price.
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote