Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #31
Jon Brody

Just when I do the jumping motion I make sure to explode enough to do a 360degree turn in the air, land and rinse n' repeat. I wanna start adding a lot of intensified, low-moderate volume burpees into my sprint work, or in general when looking to add a nice finishing blow to a sequence lol.

Monday: Strength

BP: 185x5, 205x5, 225x3, 245x1

PR'd my 1RM!

BS: 225x5, 255x5, 285x5

PR last set.

SP: 135x4

Never went this heavy but wanted to see if I could make it work. Couldn't quite finish the 5th....really pushed myself....was totally drained on this exercise and decided to not push it further.

Hammer Strength Press Machine: 225x5, 245x5, 275x2

DL: 315x5, 315x5, 405x3

Usually just do 1x5...but I got to talking with a couple of powerlifters at the gym. Apparently my form sucks donkeydick and I am using my hamstrings too much and my motion is basically broken down into 2 parts. I went in wanting to do 405x5, so after polishing off the 315's went for it. 1...2 weeks max and I hit 405 for 5...book it!

Tuesday: MetCon, Gymnastics

10 explosive medicine ball woodchoppers (first time doing, pretty cool exercise, felt like it enforced good ROM in the squat and pushed me to explode up really well)--> 10 straight-arm push downs with a resistance band -->10 straight-arm twists -> 10 standing rows w/ same resistance band --> 10 burpees

5 rounds for time, zero rest during the round, explosive throughout

I took 30s rest between rounds. I was so spent when I finished that I forgot to stop my stopwatch, so I'm not totally sure of my time...I *think* somewhere in the mid 9's....liked this workout.

Practiced l-pulllups and l-sit from floor and caled it a day.
Jon Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #32
Jon Brody

Thursday: Date Night Jackassery

Ran a mile, increasing speed gradually, topping out at 10.1 on the treadmill for the last 60s. Did some curlz for the gunz. Did some russian twists and situps for the abz.

Got a 1st date tonight, so didn't want to risk being wiped out from the big metcon I normally would have done..
Old 05-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #33
Jon Brody

Friday: Strength

Hanging Power Cleans: 135x5, 155x5, 185x1

First time doing this exercise. *LOVED* it...can't wait to do more.

DB Clean & Press: 70x3, 85x3 (right hand) x2 (left hand)

I need to work on my shoulder strength.

Dips: 15pound weighted x10, x10 bw, x7 bw, 15pound x4, 15pound x4

First time doing weighted dips. I made really quick progression past 2 weeks on dips, and wanted to start up doing weighted ones, incrementally.

1leg squats: 4x5, per leg

Lovin' my improvement on these...right leg markedly stronger, or at least better balanced....I'm going damn low on and pumping these out now!

L-Pullups: x5, x3, x3 --> 5 max-power kipping pull-ups finisher

Making improvement in my l-ups, really liking this exercise.....pretty cool stuff.

DB RDL's: 80x8, 100x8, 115x8

PR on last set for weight.

All in all...loved starting the l-pullups and the hanging power cleans....
Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #34
Jon Brody

Saturday: Sprints

5x100m @ football field, 2m rest between rounds

Pretty simple....I planned on finishing off with 10x20m, but my legs felt fried and I couldn't get any explosion when I attempted....my ass and hips were also spazzing out a bit by the end. I think in part it was because I didn't do a great warmup.

Just going to chill the rest of the weekend and hit it hard next week while integrating in Oly lifting.

In another couple weeks I am going to see where I'm at with the initial 50 Day Goals I established....#450 DL and #150 OP I feel really confident about, my #335 squat I'm a bit worried about.....I feel like I've been pussying out on my squats some recently...not going deep enough and just being pussyfooted about them....I'm hoping that by adding snatches and cleans 1x/week my squat will get a boost.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #35
Jon Brody

Monday: Kettlebell Beach Stuff!!!!!

I bought some kettlebells today....two #20's and a #45...and a #20 weighted vest. Went to the beach feeling kinda "meh", but wanted to do something and put the new gear to work:

10 clean&presses (with full squat) using the #20s --> 10 alternating swings using the #45 --> 10 burpees. 3 rounds. 8minutes .

I don't know if I was just tired and my intensity wasn't that great, the workout was harder than I thought it'd be, or doing it on an uneven plane in the sand made things that much more difficult, but this really beat me hard and early....my legs especially just got killed really early on, and my my burps and rest between rounds was way too long. I'd like to tame this circuit in sub-5min at some point.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #36
Jon Brody

Tuesday: Strength

Big workout day..lots and lots of PRs and attempt:

HPC: 135x5, 155x3, 185x2, 190x1, 195x1, 205x-fail

2nd time doing these, really love 'em...mistakenly used the gym's shitty bar...185x2, 190 and 195 were PRs...failed on 185x1 last week.

BS: 225x5, 265x5, 300x5

15plb PR on the last set!

SP: 95x5, 125x5, 135x5, 155x1

PR for reps on 3rd, went for a 1RM at the end and PRd!

DL: 315x3, 375x3, 405x1, 455x1, 475x-fail

So, my first 3 sets I felt unusually weak, endurance-wise....I went in wanting to do 405x5.....but I was PRing the shit out of the entire workout, and I felt 1RM-strong, so I went for it and PRd my 1RM....I couldn't even lift the #475 attempt off the ground afterward at the end lol...

L-Pullups: x5, x5, x2

My "form" was significantly improved on these over when I first tried them a week ago....really cool movement....going to start doing more of these, more heavy weighted PUs, and more front lever progressions.

Just checked...I've already eclipsed my 50-Day Goals w/ time to spare, accept for not attempting a 1RM BS, though my 5rep working sets are pretty close to it as is....awesome stuff....my SP has gone up #40 on working sets, BP by #50+, BS on working sets by #75, and my DL has gone up ~#40. I've also dropped BF during this time period *AND* packed on a REALLY surprising amount of quality muscle. I'm also beginning to make quick gains on the new oly movements I've been starting up.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #37
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brody View Post
Just when I do the jumping motion I make sure to explode enough to do a 360degree turn in the air, land and rinse n' repeat. I wanna start adding a lot of intensified, low-moderate volume burpees into my sprint work, or in general when looking to add a nice finishing blow to a sequence lol.
I like it. I might try those this week.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #38
Jon Brody

I liked em a lot; makes them more interesting, and to me the biggest thing is mental...in that the simple goal of doing the 360 really helps ensure I give a true explosive effort at the top...vs. the more general parameter of jumping up high, I find myself slacking sometimes when I'm fatigued. For whatever reason, the added mental stimulus and goal of doing a 360 helps me push myself, aside from whatever benefit the 360 itself gives.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #39
Jon Brody

Wednesday (yesterday): MetCon

10 burpees --> 20 lunges --> 30 squats --> 60s rest --> x5

+

10 kipping pull-ups --> 20 plyo pushups --> 10 power cleans with bar --> x2

Time: 22.22

Wanted to do 5 rounds of the 2nd circuit, but I was wasted...hadn't slept much, my diet was utter shit the past 24hours, and I was feeling the big workout I had on Tuesday. Not my best/favorite workout that I've done.

Core: 10 flags --> 10 kimuras w/ physioball --> 10 medball twists --> plank for time --> 60s rest --> x3