Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 10-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Allen Yeh

Default Bilateral Hip External Rotator Stretch

This stretch was in Eric Cressey's new article at T-nation yesterday:
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...andom_thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cressey
10. The stretch above is great for powerlifters, hockey and soccer players, and anyone else who tends to walk with their feet "turned out." For a lot of guys, it's an ankle mobility issue, but in many cases, it's just a function of the hip being stuck in external rotation and the entire lower leg going along for the ride.

I also use it a lot with pitchers, as external rotator contracture causes guys to open up too early on their lead leg, which can throw shoulders, elbows, and lower backs under the bus.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Jamie Crichton

Just how important is this for your average trainee? I can't get close to that position; in fact my hip internal rotation ROM is pretty terrible. But I don't feel like it's limiting my activities in the way that poor ankle mobility would.
Jamie Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Garrett Smith

Jamie,
You might want to work on that stretch then!

I'm completely on the opposite end, I actually feel nothing in that position stretch-wise...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Jamie Crichton

I'm doing a similar version, 1 leg at a time, as I find it easier to get the stretch without horrendous cramping to hold the position. I read somewhere that people tended to have 1 direction better than the other; that is, better internal or better external. I'm one of the latter I think. People who have better internal rotation ROM are more likely to see the knees caving in when squatting, where as I never have this issue and in fact find it physically impossible to get my knees in when in a squat. That's why I wondered whether it was actually a problem. I don't do any pitching either, so that's not an issue!
Jamie Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Grissim Connery

i feel that it's always worth working on your problem areas. i started opening up this area a little while ago because i have a lot of tension in there. i've fallen in some weird positions while grappling, and i've been pretty thankful that i prepped this motion ahead of time. maybe if you're just squatting, then you can predict for the most part all of the possible positions you will end up in. if you're engaged in other activities, it might be worth the security to open it up.

it's also been my general opinion that every part of my body i've neglected to stretch has come back to bite me in the ass. normally i get hurt and then realize how tight i am at spot x.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
Ben Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Crichton View Post
Just how important is this for your average trainee? I can't get close to that position; in fact my hip internal rotation ROM is pretty terrible. But I don't feel like it's limiting my activities in the way that poor ankle mobility would.
It's pretty important. But I don't care for that bilateral supine stretch.

You can work the area much better prone doing one leg at a time. Kick the foot out to the end of ROM and then a few degrees more for two seconds (AIS style) and repeat several times. Then reposition the knee out about 10 degrees and repeat. And another 10, and another 10, and another 10! Yeow! You'll stretch some stuff that hasn't been stretched in awhile.

Then do the same with ext rotators working the feet in across centerline. Oh yeah, it all needs help. This stuff only works right on about 3 people out of a 100. Most people have messed up ext and int hip rotators to some degree or another and don't even realize it till you start stretching it and they start exclaiming about how much it hurts...
http://www.bettercise.com/

“People who do not eat butterflies will wear their clothes the wrong way, and people who wear their clothes the wrong way are inviting lemmings inside.”
~Muzhduk the Ugli the Third~
Ben Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Harry Munro

I tried these today and can definitely feel a little stretch and some relief in the hips.. however the knees don't feel good being rotated/twisted at that angle. Is there suppost to be anything felt in the knee?
Harry Munro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's gonna put some stress on the knees like that especially on the MCL.

If you can use your hands or be abel to put some torque on your upper leg directly it would be better than moving the feet or whatever at a longer lever from the knee.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
Ben Moskowitz

Ben, could you describe more how to stretch external rotation?
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
Matthias Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
Ben, could you describe more how to stretch external rotation?
Obviously you can stetch external rotators by internal rotating maximally.
Matthias Becker is offline   Reply With Quote