Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
Steve Shafley

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.

At one point in time I could do 75-85 reps in the push up and 20-25 in a decent 1 armed push up. Lots of fun on the rugby pitch when we used push ups for conditioning and punishment...they'd say drop and give me 20, and I'd do 10 with each arm.

Watching the coach turn purple and fight the urge to scream at me was highly amusing.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:13 AM   #12
James Evans

Peter is correct with his first answer.

If you look at the schedule on the site you can normally click on any of the workout descriptions and get a definition of the parameters and aims of said workout.

The deadlift example is the one given but I note they often post TGUs of 50 and upwards as SMMF. I find that I get friction burns after about 20 of these and honestly the idea of rubbing myself down with vaseline before a session in the gym doesn't appeal. If that makes me a puss then a puss I am.

I guess burpees (100+) would do the trick too.

When I read the definition it was one of those times when you think 'I'm doing that, TONIGHT!'.

I nearly always regret that sentiment.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:27 AM   #13
James Evans

On an aside to the question of volume I read an interesting fact about dustmen (trash collectors or whatever you call them) a couple of years ago.

In an article comparing the fitness levels of various jobs and professions (who is fitter, the Royal Marine or the ballet dancer? Apples and oranges and ultimately rather silly) this rather random idea came up:

A dustman in the UK performs an equivalent amount of work in a day to powercleaning 45kg, 142 times.

Why 142 and not 140 or 145 I don't know. I assume this was just made up nonsense to be honest.

But it lead me to powerclean 45kg, you guessed it, 145 times, which was actually rather fun. I then stepped it up to a powerclean and press and raised it to 50kg.

It left me feeling that the UK's dustmen were stealing a living.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote