Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
Alan O'Donnell

Default chronic heartburn

Over the past few months I've developed a pretty bad case of recurring heartburn, and I was wondering if I could get some insight into the cause. It's become an almost daily occurrence.

In general I eat a pretty paleo-ish diet - stuff like fruit (apples, cherries and blueberries mostly), celery, salads (basically greek), chicken, beef (not generally grass-fed), and occasionally fish. Also things like eggs, almonds, and now and then I'll have some bread with butter or olive oil, and I probably average around 3 alcoholic drinks per week. Also a fair amount of whole milk - maybe 1/3 gallon per day. I also drink some coffee in the mornings.

Some foods seem to get me every time - bread and alcohol especially. I don't drink much at all but may need to quit entirely... which is a little frustrating because I haven't always had this reaction. But now the heartburn kicks in so fast that I can barely make it to a second drink. In terms of other sugary foods, ice cream seems to go down just fine

I've also gotten heartburn after eating steak cooked in butter, and even after eating some cherries. Not sure about spicy foods - Indian food is definitely tough but that could be the rice, I haven't tested it out very carefully yet.

Thoughs? I assume I'll have to start observing myself more carefully to figure this out, but hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.
Alan O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Try eliminating dairy and gluten, see how that does you.

Don't eat fruit/sugar/starches with your protein.

Alcohol tends to loosen the lower esophageal sphincter, that's just the way it is. If beer really sets it off, it could be the gluten.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

It's probably worth getting tested for helicobacter pylori before you start getting all neurotic about your diet.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Alan O'Donnell

Hrm interesting I'll look into that.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

the go-to homemade remedy of drinking a bit (1 tablespoon) of Apple Cider Vinegar (cloudy with the mother) in water (10+ oz) before a meal seems to work for many.....that stuff has like 1001 uses....probably even shines your silverware.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

1/3 gallon of milk a day...that's easily one of the first places to start.

Read this.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
glennpendlay

I have had heartburn off and on for years. Nothing major, but there all the same. I had never linked it to any certain food or anything... but, it does appear that since I have been eating mostly meat and veggies it has not happened in quite a while... then last night, I had a couple beers and finished off a bowl of left over mac and cheese which I had cooked for my son, so two things which I hadnt eaten in a while (beer and pasta/carbs), got heartburn last night and woke up this morning feeling like crap.
glennpendlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #8
Liz Neufeldt

There are definitely some foods that trigger heartburn more than others. Anything acidic like citrus fruits and tomatoes or tomato products or pickles. Also, refined sugar, caffeine, and fried foods. Those are the things to avoid or at least eat in moderation. Anything like soda, beer, or most alcohol (carbonated drinks especially) will also set it off. It helps to avoid eating those things late in the day and to avoid eating 30 min before going to bed or so. I also found a supplement I like a lot called Acid Ease. It's natural and really seems to help. It's definitely worth trying.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Alan O'Donnell

Thanks Garrett, that milk article is really interesting.