Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 08-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
george nesrallah

Default How does this look for fat loss?

My eating plan as of now is broken down as such:

Daily-Protein 200 grams (800 cal.) , Carbohydrates 50 grams (200 cal.), fat 89 grams (801 cal.)-Total 1801 cal.

Carb. sources are breakfast 1 ccup of blueberries and lunch all (or fairly close to)fibrous carbs (broccoli, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, etc...).

Protein is lean chicken, fish, whey shake post workout and egg protein shake before bed.

Fat is fish oil, almonds, and sometimes olives.

I eat a cheat meal every 7 days, than have one 9 days later; thus 7/9.

Training is weights 3x weekly, CF 2x weekly, distance run 2x weekly.

Just wondering if it looks off or things should change to make it better.

Thanks
george nesrallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

That's a lot of training... what exactly are your goals?

What's your height/weight and BMR?

Cal intake looks a bit low to support all the activity.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
george nesrallah

My goals as of now are to burn fat, maintain (or even increase) lean body mass, increase strength, and improve my cardio. Basically just get healthy.

I stand 5'8.5, and weigh 247.2 with a BF % of about 28 (roughly).

I was doing 2000 cal. for a bit but not much was coming off. Then again I have been adding a good bit of muscle (I think anyway) so I am figuring the best way to tell would be to get my BF tested. Actually I have made an appointment to do so and will do it every 2 weeks or so to make sure I am making good progress.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Arien Malec

I've looked a bit through your previous posts. You have a current tendency to try to much and do too many things with too many goals. Simplify. You've probably also been dieting for too long, and need a break at maintenance calories to keep your metabolism and hormones from being royally screwed up.

I'll provide three options that I think would work for you:

Option 1:

All out war on fat. Read McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss. Implement this approach as a category 3 dieter. Follow the diet to the letter, including the refeeds and the maintenance diet breaks. During this period, no cardio, no mecons, just strength training as prescribed.

When you hit your %BF goals, switch to Starting Strength, or 5/3/1 or some sensible structured strength training program. Drop the metcons, except for occasional "finisher" type short strength biased metcons (e.g, 2000 meter row, sandbag or kb work, strength biased couplets, that sort of thing, no longer than 5 minutes). Drop the distance runs.

As you approach your strength goals, add more metcons and potentially distance work as well.

Option 2:
Starting Strength, with maintenance eating. Focus on linear strength gain and body recomposition by forcing muscle gain at the expense of body fat. When you run out of linear progression after a couple of resets, focus on fat loss through something like Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss approach. Drop the metcons and the distance runs, but perhaps include a short "finisher" (5-minute strength biased mecon) after one, maybe two of your starting strength sessions.

This will hit your strength goals, give you some body recomp, and when you hit serious fat loss later, you will be working off a better base of lean body mass. What you are eating seems fine, but reduce the number of cheat meals. You might want to throw in one high carb refeed every two weeks or so. Read Rapid Fat Loss or A Guide to Flexible Dieting for more details.

Option 3:
Alternating focus on strength gain and fat loss. Try for a 4 week cycles alternating between fat loss and strength maintenance, and strength gain.

1st 4 week block: Starting Strength linear progression with maintenance diet, no metcons., no distance runs, occasional finishers.

2nd 4 week block: Keep lifting 3xweekly, use 3x3 rather than 3x5, keep the intensity the same but hold the weights, or increase weekly rather than every workout. Keep protein high, carbs low, and calories low to create a large deficit (e.g., the diet you posted above but cutting out some of the fat). Break this 4 week cycle with a high carb refeed. Use Rapid Fat Loss to structure this phase.

4 weeks all out war on strength, 4 weeks all out war on fat loss.

Rinse, wash and repeat.

The common theme between all three options: Focus on one thing at a time, using a dead simple approach. Attack things like all out war with one overriding goal that subordinates all other.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Do what Arien said. Though I'd vote for option 1 for you.

Doing too much is going to screw up your goals worse than doing not enough but doing it wrong.

At your bodyfat percentage you can probably diet for quite a while without screwing up your hormones, but taking a break to help mentally reset would be a good idea.

Invest in the Rapid Fat Loss e-book (why wait for shipping?), set your cals/protein and get going. You'll get fastest results that way and can start working on any other goals that may be easier to attain once you've lost the extra weight.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I'd go with option 2. But option 1 is acceptable.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #7
george nesrallah

I have never heard of the Rapid Fat Loss book. I am going to purchase the e-book today.

Thanks so much for all the guidance. I am going to do option 1. You are right; trying to do to much at once. However when I look back the healthiest thing for me to do is get the fat off. I can worry about getting bigger and stronger after.

Thanks again so much everyone.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #8
george nesrallah

Sorry for posting again. I was wondering something though.

I am hoping to maintain energy, LBM and strength while dropping the fat. With the Rapid Fat Loss program is there a maintenanve of these (although I am assuming strength does drop) or does that go by the wayside?

Thanks all.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
Darryl Shaw

George,

There's no secret to losing weight, all you have to do is create a small daily energy deficit of ~300-500/day* and you don't need to buy any e-books to figure out how to do that as you can find plenty of free stuff online.

For example you could go here to calculate your estimated daily calorie requirements then deduct 300-500kcals from that figure as you're trying to lose weight and adjust the macros to 60%, 20%, 20% carbs, fats and protein respectively. Then go here to work out a simple meal plan. Alternatively you could do it all here instead, either way they're all free and as good as or better than a lot of the commmercially available software.

*As long as that is not >15% of daily energy requirements.
Darryl Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
george nesrallah

Thanks very much Darryl. I checked my calorie requirements on runningdeersoftware and it gave me 3369. Therefore I would minus 300-500 calories from that to give me what I need to lose my 1 pound a week goal.

Just wondering if you are saying to do 60% carbs, 20% protein, and 20% fat? What would the reasoning behind so many carbs daily be?

Thanks