Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
james forshaw

Default Mass Gain w/ CF Football

Prone to regular changes of heart as I am, I'm wary that this is another one of those cases. But it's a positive one this time because it's the result of a period of consistency and discipline rather than of slacking off and neglect.

Basically it's been my plan for a while that I'd start bulking from 77kg to mid-80's from September 1st (I have a vacation coming up), going at it as quickly as possible i.e. GOMAD and a lot of time spent under a heavy bar. But now I've spent 5 weeks or so just working on GPP, I've really enjoyed racing the clock, eating well and generally feeling tip-top.

I still want strength and mass though, and I've been looking at CF Football which looks fantastic for strength and GPP. My question is, would CFFB with half-GOMAD and unlimited paleo allow me to simultaneously put on muscle (I accept fat too, which would fall off once the milk goes) and develop GPP?

At the moment, I pretty much eat unlimited paleo already which has kept me at my normal BW very well. I'll eat as much protein as I want which usually has enough fat in it (if not, I'll add nuts or oil) and have a piece of fruit or a big side of veggies 3x a day, which works out at about 1800kcals - eat quality food til your full seems to be the most natural thing you can do, and it works well.

Half GOMAD = approx 1300kcals, so that'd be 3100kcals by my reckoning. I read a PM article which says a small increase in calories is effectively dealt with by the body, therefore you need a lot more to put on weight. Do you guys think this approach would work over many months?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

If you lift heavy, and work hard you will gain muscle.... unless your body doesn't want to put it on genetically. But that can be influenced with lots of cals.

Don't overthink it.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
Jon Sikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by james forshaw View Post
At the moment, I pretty much eat unlimited paleo already which has kept me at my normal BW very well. I'll eat as much protein as I want which usually has enough fat in it (if not, I'll add nuts or oil) and have a piece of fruit or a big side of veggies 3x a day, which works out at about 1800kcals - eat quality food til your full seems to be the most natural thing you can do, and it works well.
1800 calories, really? Cuz, the guy at the top of this page, supposedly eats 1900 calories a day and he's 6 feet tall and weighs 115 pounds.

"...Michael, stands beside her at the ready: a boyish-looking 35-year-old with brush-cut red hair, translucently pale skin, and—at six feet tall and 115 pounds—an eerily spare physique.

Consider those dimensions for a moment. Divide Michael’s weight by the square of his height and you get a body-mass index of 15.6. Compare that with the minimum BMI of 18 recently decreed by the organizers of the Madrid Fashion Week—who cited the World Health Organization’s definition of 18.5 as the lower limit of healthy weight and offered medical assistance to any models who couldn’t meet it"

Don't be like that guy.
Jon Sikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Kevin Perry

Two Words: Chocolate Milk

Specifically on workout days.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
james forshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sikes View Post
1800 calories, really? Cuz, the guy at the top of this page, supposedly eats 1900 calories a day and he's 6 feet tall and weighs 115 pounds.

"...Michael, stands beside her at the ready: a boyish-looking 35-year-old with brush-cut red hair, translucently pale skin, and—at six feet tall and 115 pounds—an eerily spare physique.

Consider those dimensions for a moment. Divide Michael’s weight by the square of his height and you get a body-mass index of 15.6. Compare that with the minimum BMI of 18 recently decreed by the organizers of the Madrid Fashion Week—who cited the World Health Organization’s definition of 18.5 as the lower limit of healthy weight and offered medical assistance to any models who couldn’t meet it"

Don't be like that guy.
He clearly doesn't eat 1900kcals though. From eyeballing my food, (and I used to measure accurately) I eat about 20 blocks of protein, 5ish of carbs and 40ish fat a day and if you work it out, guess what? Way under 2000kcals.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

If you're going to do CFFB, do the novice progression so you get the volume and the linear progression. I did it for a few weeks (pro level) and enjoyed it but felt the programming started to get a little nutty.

We talk a lot on here about the simple process of mass gain (EAT MORE). It is simple, but it can be difficult to conceptualize the calories you need to put away. I've have typically eaten between 200-225 g protein to maintain 195-200 lbs. at 12-14% BF.

I've been trying to gain mass for the past month because I'm moving up a weight class for a tourney in October. I have added 100g protein a day of whole milk + whey and cut out metcon almost entirely. That's what it took to get the needle to move. Now that I've added metcon back in, I'm adding grains and more fat to keep up.

170 is relatively light in terms of overall swoleness. You have that on your side. But your young age and your desire to eat Paleo clean might be a hindrance. Add the milk, add some fat, and don't run from a hamburger if it presents itself.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:05 AM   #7
james forshaw

Thanks for the info guys. Can't wait to start, the bit about the hamburger especially sounds good
Old 08-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james forshaw View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Can't wait to start, the bit about the hamburger especially sounds good
Seriously, after doing some heavy cleans, presses, deadlifts and a non-dumbass metcon, a 1-lb. burger and a milk shake are very satisfying.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Kevin Perry

hehe non-dumbass metcon
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote