Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Kris Reeves

Default Switching to KG's

Hey all,

I think I want to make the switch to all rubber and get some colored kg bumps.

Can anyone give some opinions and advice on what combination of plates work out well?

For instance, in a standard olympic iron set, I find 35's pretty useless. Do people find that the 15kg/25kg plates fall in the same category?

I was thinking of doing something like this:
Metal pairs - .5, 1, 2, 2.5, 5
Bumps - 2-3 pairs of 20kg and 1 pair of 10kg

It just seems to me that 15kg or 25kg...it's just easier to throw a 5kg metal plate on top as opposed to taking off a 10 to load a 15 (or a 20 off to load a 25).

but i don't know, maybe in practice having the 15 & 25's are nice to have? or maybe I'm not thinking about the situation fully.

plus it doesn't hurt that the new pendlay colored bumps are a little bit cheaper if you buy a 140kg set with the 25's and 15's. http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/pecobuplk.html

anyone, anyone...bueller....bueller....
Kris Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Any bumpers are nice to have.

I've been making do with pairs of 25kg, 15s, and 5s (along with a normal full set of iron plates).

I'd say as long as the breaks between your bumpers aren't more than 10kg, and you have rubber or iron 5kg and 2.5s for the in-betweens, one isn't necessarily "easier" than another.

I will say that during my earlier days of OL when I was lifting less weight, I would have rather had 20s and 10s than the 25s and 15s, but that all depends on how much you're lifting at this point.

I have recently become able to clean more than than my bumpers + bar equal (110kg, I just cleaned 112 in my last meet)...so I'm selling some other equipment to buy new bumpers!!!

The 25s are the red bumpers, in OL they're kind of like the 45# irons. As in, I'm looking forward to being able to C&J 2 reds on each side...
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Júlíus G. Magnússon

You'll be fine with a few 20's and a pair of 10's. But like Garret said, it's just cool to lift the big red 25's.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

I have a set of bumpers in LB's and the 35's are hardly used. I wish I had of A) bought KG's and B) I would have bought the 25's, 20's and 10's. But like was said before any bumpers are cool.

I like that Pendlay set a lot even with the 15's and the price is right. Free shipping on that amount of weight is a big deal. Shipping would probably be at least 250 - 300 bucks.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
Eric Egan

the heavier bumpers are also nice when you squat alone and have to dump the weight.i would hate to have to load and unload a bunch of 10 and 15 lb bumpers when i could be loading 45 and 35 lb bumpers.
Eric Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
John MacMullen

The Garage Gym has this 140kg set, no idea what shipping would cost but the base price is reasonable.

http://www.theg2scart.com/140KG_G2S_...s-140kgset.htm
John MacMullen is offline   Reply With Quote