Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default Thick Rings?

Over the past month or 2, i have been working on some high bar elements with like a 2-2.5" bar. I assumed that the real high bar was this thick. my hands would peel off back swings all the time. i went online and saw how they are actually much skinnier. i went to my college gym and tried their skinny pullup bars. the only hard part about gripping these was that they are extremely rough textured, so my skin was screaming. my strength on the other hand was fine.

I normally find grip to be one of the most limiting things in ring training. i'm now thinkin about buying another set of rings and wrapping one of my pairs up with some material to make it much thicker. anybody had experience with something like this?

i'd like to work on ring swings as well, but it's not gonna work on my home rings. are real gymnastic rings the only trustworthy ones to swing on? i thought about looping rope or something since for a while i'd just focus on the low portion of the swing.

i just got some money so i'm gonna try going to a local gymnastic club now. maybe it will all work out on it's own.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
I normally find grip to be one of the most limiting things in ring training. i'm now thinkin about buying another set of rings and wrapping one of my pairs up with some material to make it much thicker. anybody had experience with something like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grip_strength

You want support grip type work. Farmers walks or that or anything similar is going to help significantly.

Quote:
i'd like to work on ring swings as well, but it's not gonna work on my home rings. are real gymnastic rings the only trustworthy ones to swing on? i thought about looping rope or something since for a while i'd just focus on the low portion of the swing.
I would personally not swing on anything except real rings.... not very safe to swing on any of the ones you can buy online for cheap. Most of the sellers even say this.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #3
Blair Lowe

My biggest concern about swinging on any fitness rings is the buckle slipping and shredding the strap which will jar one of my shoulders into oh, so fun seperation or shoulder tear.

If your swing is mild like a compulsory swing (little kid swing) it will probably hold. If you look at regulation ring straps, it is just a buckle that sleeves through rather than grinds teeth in to.

One of the biggest concern about swinging on fitness rings would be on what they are mounted to. If they are mounted from the bottom of a support beam, they could easily crack it or tear right out. From the side might work but if the strap overlays across a beam it will probably fray at some point.

I'm pretty sure some mild swings like uprises or kips/butterfly would be doable. Not gonna be smart to really start swinging on them. A mild swing of 3g is probably too much. I have hung and swung on them just to loosen my back a bit.

Attend the gymnastics class. The feel of sprung rings is far different than hanging rings. And of course there are mats to land on if you peel and land on your anterior.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
You want support grip type work. Farmers walks or that or anything similar is going to help significantly.
I understand that it is a support type grip, but I find that with much grip work, the best way i can stimulate hand strength for that type of feat is to make the grip harder in that feet (that probably sounds confusing).

for example, i've played drums for a long time, and i find that most other grip work doesn't really help me with drumming. it's more about finding proper grip technique and drilling your hands to always use the proper technique. that way if you have to do blast beats or something, you're hands don't die in 5 seconds.

furthermore with grappling, i find that getting a strong grip on the gi just has to do with how you cock your wrist and how you rotate the material.

i find that anytime i focus on just squeezing in any hand based activity, my hands will die pretty quickly. i have done heavy farmers walks and other work, and i think that they are good for blasting your forearms and grip. the problem is that these things don't teach me the minute technical details to how to grab a ring. i can do muscle ups and show other people how to false grip to an extent, but just from my experience things like drumming and grappling, i know that my concepts of false ring gripping are probably way below what elite gymnasts know.

in essence i was wondering if increasing the difficulty of gripping in the specific task i actually desired it for would be beneficial.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote