Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 03-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Derek Simonds

Default Derek's Mass Gain Manifesto and Milestone Log

Day One! There I was in the jungle naked and covered in motor oil and through the distance I could hear the natives drums and they were restless.

Actually day one went really well other than I feel like a stuffed pig from all the eating. Here are my vital stats for benchmarking

36 YOM, 6' 1", 185.5 LB's, Orangutan Arms with a 79" wing spread
BF % from an Ironman scale is 8.6% on athletic and 16.1% on normal person. I know that they are both wrong. My best WAG is around 12% I can see my abs but they are not standing out looking ripped and the only area on my entire body with any extra fat is right on my belly.

I am doing the mass gain program from the Performance Menu. The food is a combination of several things but mainly large amounts of clean food with a low carb leaning on off days. I try to stay close to Paleo but usually don't quite make it. I will weigh in once a week and keep the log updated to see how things work.

5:30 1/2 Trioplex Bar, Propel
8:00 3 eggs scrambled, slice of ham, 1 wheat and nut pancake
10:00 other 1/2 Trioplex Bar
12:00 4 oz lean turkey, 4 oz lo fat cottage cheese, 4 oz watermelon, 2 oz egg salad
3:00 ABB Blue Thunder RTD
6:00 1/2 BCAA
6:50 1/2 BCAA
6:50 Cell Mass Creatine
7:00 16 boiled shrimp, 4 oz rice, big salad, 2 oz green peas

Workout
6 x 6 FS 90 LB's no problem felt good worked form not light but easily do-able
6 X 6 Press 70 LB's same as above really worked shoulder activation
6, 6, 6, 3, 3, 4 Chins a lot harder than the above could have done more sets 4 and 5
AB Circuit with S/U GHD, BE, Knees to Elbow and PU 10 minutes I was sweating hard at the end. Everything felt good nothing was tight no worries.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

Day Two

6:45 Cell Mass Creatine
6:45 2 Activa Lights with 2 tbsp flaxseed, 3 scrambled eggs
9:50 4 oz beef jerky, banana
12:30 4 oz lean turkey, 4 oz lo fat cottage cheese, 4 oz watermelon, 2 oz egg salad
4:00 4 oz lean turkey, 4 oz lo fat cottage cheese, 4 oz watermelon, 2 oz egg salad
5:45 started drinking 32 oz powerade
6:00 1/2 BCAA
8:45 1/2 BCAA
8:45 Fininshed 32 oz powerade, 16 oz lo fat choclate milk
9:30 chicken breast, 4oz squash casserole, 3 oz fettuccine JoAnne

BJJ
6:30 - 7:30 Fundamentals kept heart rate low focused on streching and movement worked with 2 beginners during drills
7:30 - 8:45 Advanced 25 minutes light conditioning, 1 technique gi trap to armlock and 45 minutes of grappling. Once again tried to keep my heart rate down but didn't succeed. Good matches rolled with a huge dude who I couldn't get both hands around his biceps if I wanted to, worked position and transition. almost pulled a triangle from the guard but his neck was so thick I couldn't close it tight enough, used the triangle to sweep and ended up in the mount. Changed partners worked on my 100 Kilo position and landed 2 subs with keylocks, 4th match with a wiry guy who has dominated me in the past, same thing as first match worked transitions and position felt really comfortable and ended up with a clean guard pass to side control right before time expired.

Looking back I only ate 5 meals plus one chocolate milk and I dont think that is enough.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

Day 3 (I am changing from spelling the number out now so I don't have to type day forty two)

6:45 cell mass creatine
6:45 activa light 1 tbsp flaxseed, 1/4 kashi go lean, 3 eggs
8:45 blue thunder RTD
10:15 chicken breast, 4oz squash casserole, 3 oz fettuccine JoAnne
12:00 cell mass creatine
12:45 baked potato plain, chilli
3:00 trioplex bar
6:00 1 3/4 oz peanuts
7:45 1 BCAA
8:00 3oz lasagna, 7 oz ground turkey, 1 really small piece of garlic bread

BJJ
11:00 to 12:15 No-Gi
Warmup was running and stretching instructor was taking it easy on us. Worked on one technique a bicep crush. Wrestled 3, 8 minutes matches.

In the first match I worked my position and transition game ended up with the guy in closed guard and went on the attack. I faked an armbar a couple of times and landed a triangle. It wasn't too deep and as I was working it I tweaked my knee pulling it in. No big deal. I got the triangle locked down and got the submission.

Next match with a guy that had to be 250 plus and he had an amazing top game. He submitted me twice in 8 minutes once with an elbow lock that is still sore this morning.

Third match with a guy I roll with pretty often he is a blue belt and has a great technical game. He had me in side control I rolled into him going for the hip escape and he went for an armbar. I grabbed my own arm across my chest and he was wrenching on it trying to extend my arm. I faked like I was going to pull really hard to escape and when he pulled back again I bridged and rolled right across the top of him. Unfortunately in the scramble I landed on my shin funny and felt some major pain go through my knee. I iced it down when I got home last night and did not work out. If it feels ok I will hit the weights tonight.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Derek Simonds

Day 4

6:45 activa light 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1/4 kashi go lean, 3 eggs
8:45 trioplex bar
10:45 blue thunder recovery
12:45 cell mass creatine
12:45 6" turkey, ham, roast beef on whole wheat
3:45 6" turkey, ham, roast beef on whole wheat
6:00 1/2 bcaa
7:00 1/2 bcaa
7:30 7 oz grilled salmon, lima beans, broccoli, 2 0z of spagettini, small slice of apple pie

Workout
My knee is definitely tweaked talked to my sister the doctor and she recommended that I take it easy. I tried 1 push press (hurt like he##) and decided that it was straight press all the way.

6 X 6 Press 85 lb's
3 X 6 med grip Pull Ups
6 X 6 incline press 95 lb's
abs and back circuit

Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Derek Simonds

Day 5 Saturday an actual rest day

No workout of any kind today. I bought a soft knee support to see if it helps with my knee and it feels pretty good. I am helping a family our church knows move this morning but I am going to take it easy. Most moves I participate in I turn into some sort of competition. Not today!

6:45 activa light 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1/4 kashi go lean, 3 eggs
8:30 4 oz egg, potato, ham casserole (courtesy of one of the ladies in our Sunday school class)
9:30 pure protein bar
10:30 4 oz beef jerky
1:00 cell mass creatine
1:00 organic peanut butter, strawberry jelly on 2 pieces whole grain bread
4:00 1 BCAA's
4:00 Derek's protein shake 2 scoops whey, skim milk, ice, yogurt, organic peanut butter and flaxseed
8:00 ceasar salad light dressing, 8 oz sirloin, broccoli (Outback) 2 rum and diets

Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Derek Simonds

Day 6 Sunday

6:45 activa light 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1/4 kashi go lean
8:30 Banana at JR's meet
9:45 M and M's (I know there was nothing else to eat at the meet)
1:00 ceasar salad, grilled salmon, risotto and spinach
4:00 cell mass creatine
4:00 1/2 BCAA
4:00 blue thunder mass gain
5:30 1/2 BCAA
7:30 chicken breast, broccoli
9:45 1 and 1/2 scoops protein with water

4:15 Workout

Deadlift Hi Pull 6 X 6 120 LB's These were a lot harder than I had imagined. in the beginning I was nursing my knee and not using explosive force. The last couple of sets I really worked on exploding and it felt much better.

Push Pull Circuit
5 X 3 ring dips / 3 X 3 alternating grip pull ups
6 X 6 bench press 95 LB's, 30 LB's DB Row

Abs Back Circuit
Sit Ups
Back Extensions
L Sits

Old 03-19-2007, 07:11 PM   #7
Derek Simonds

Day 7 Monday

6:45 activa light 2 tbsp flaxseed, 1/4 kashi crunch
7:45 1 1/2 scoops whey protein water
11:00 1 chicken breast, broccoli, multi grain bread
12:30 cell mass creatine
12:30 trioplex bar
2:45 1 chicken breast, broccoli, multi grain bread
4:45 4 oz sirloin jerky
6:30 started drinking 32oz powerade
8:45 16 oz reduced fat chocolate milk
10:00 4 oz ground turkey, cantelope

6:30 to 8:45 BJJ
Great classes tonight. Wrestled with a guy tonight and managed 6 different submissions from side control or full guard. I didn't use the same sub twice and really worked to flow with him, I even pointed out when I could have used a submission I had already caught him with. Than I wrestled with the really big guy from last week still couldn't submit him, and man if he ever learns how to move he is going to be unstoppable. Finished the night wrestling with the highest blue belt on the mat. Him and I have wrestled several times lately in fact I tweaked my knee escaping an armbar from him on Thursday. I managed to get side control and worked for 2 different subs he defended both nicely and I learned from his technique. He also paid me a real nice compliment when we got done telling me how far I have progressed. Nights like this certainly make you want to go more often

Last edited by Derek Simonds : 03-20-2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: I remembered what I ate at 4:45
Old 03-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Derek Simonds

Day 8 Tuesday morning weigh in

Jumped on the scale with thoughts of at least 1 lb gain. Imagine my dismay when I looked down and saw the numbers. I am down 3 LB's

182.6 LB's
10.1% BF on athletic 17.5% on normal

I tried to keep everything the same as when I weighed in last week Tuesday morning both weigh ins were after grappling Monday night. I might have been more dehydrated today but I don't think so.

1) My diet must have been worse than what I thought for the last year.
2) I feel like I am eating more food but it is certainly good to clean food.
3) My best guess is that I need to up my total calories and possibly add more carbohydrates.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:46 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Day 8 Tuesday morning weigh in

Jumped on the scale with thoughts of at least 1 lb gain. Imagine my dismay when I looked down and saw the numbers. I am down 3 LB's

182.6 LB's
10.1% BF on athletic 17.5% on normal

I tried to keep everything the same as when I weighed in last week Tuesday morning both weigh ins were after grappling Monday night. I might have been more dehydrated today but I don't think so.

1) My diet must have been worse than what I thought for the last year.
2) I feel like I am eating more food but it is certainly good to clean food.
3) My best guess is that I need to up my total calories and possibly add more carbohydrates.
1)It usually turns out that way
2)According to your log it seems that way
3)I'd play with adding more fat before the carbs.

Another thing is were you eating more carbs prior to when you started doing this mass gain thing?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
Derek Simonds

Allen thanks for the feedback. I need to figure out how to add more fat into my diet. I will research and post as I figure it out. I have started taking my fish oil again and have significantly upped my intake. I need to find some fish oil in liquid form I can take. My other thought is adding olive oil to my shakes.

Day 8 Tuesday

6:45 1/2 cell mass creatine
6:45 1 cup of kashi crunch with low fat milk, light yogurt
8:30 blue thunder mass recovery
9:45 4 oz ground turkey, broccoli
11:30 4 oz ground turkey, asparagus
1:30 chicken breast, spagettini, carrots
3:30 4 oz ground turkey, asparagus
5:30 started drinking 32 oz powerade
7:45 16 oz lo fat chocolate milk
9:00 something for dinner

5:00 5 X 6 Chinups I bought a dip and chin up station for my office. I figured that I would get in my chin ups before I got home so that I would only have to do the squats and presses. Didn't work out that way as my knee was too sore.

6:30 No-Gi BJJ
Great workout rolled half guard drill with Fabio and he rolled on my bad knee I went down and hurt really bad. Amazingly it doesn't hurt when rolling as long as I don't twist it. I rolled with 2 different guys and pulled off 6 submissions. I landed an omoplata, keylock, choke, armbar, keylock, and I think a rear naked choke. Unfortunately my knee doesn't feel good at all with any sideways movement. It looks like I am going to need to take a couple of days completely off to let my knee heal.