Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
Scott Kustes

And if you want to get strong, ditch all the metcons and start lifting weights as your main focus for awhile. 5/3/1 or Starting Strength.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:10 PM
daniel lyell
This message has been deleted by daniel lyell.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Brian Stone

With that amount of output, you're going to have to eat a ridiculous amount if you're going to hope to gain any mass. Really, I'd suggest eating as much as you're able to get down between those workouts. Heavy sugar or hi-gly carbs might not work well for you, but you're going to need to get calorie density from something. Whole milk, ice cream, lots of nuts, rice, whole grains, red meat, whole eggs, etc. I wouldn't even worry about blocks if I were you, but that's just me.

Nutrition and eating clean are one thing, but the other thing to consider is your digestive system; you're not going to be exactly getting the opportunity to eat paleo foods when you're in ranger school. I'd suggest getting your body used to the kind and types of foods you'll eat there (probably really calorie-dense) so that you don't have a digestive shock when you show up. If you've ever eaten super clean for a while and then re-introduced "normal" foods and seen how it affects you, you probably don't want that kind of system shock when you enter Ranger school.

I'd worry less about the macros and blocks and more about getting tons of cals, making sure you have plenty of protein and quality stuff in general.
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:21 PM
daniel lyell
Old 11-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #13
Brian Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel lyell View Post
Ok thanks for the advice. I'm a little confused though as you say to attempt to eat quality stuff in general...but earlier on ice cream is mentioned. Could you clarify that?

Also, I'm only trying to gain mass before the tap starts - hehe I don't count on being able to gain any during. I'll be struggling to maintain weight then.
I don't think ice cream is too bad; it gets a bad rap. It's pretty low-glycemic if you get a variety that's relatively bullshit free (bullshit being peanut butter cups etc. - aka the delicious stuff). But as far as eating "quality" I just mean avoid things like sodas and chocolate bars and other super high-glycemis stuff that has little to no value nutritionally. You can make gains with these (like anything), and w/ your aggressive routine it probably won't make a difference anyway, but I prefer the better stuff, and personally tend to feel better if I manage to adhere to it.

On a separate note, you know your own body, but for many 6% BF is going to be a detriment to sustained performance. It might do you some good to up the BF a bit prior to entry as well, but that's more a matter of how your body functions for you over periods if deprived of food. I'm also not familiar with the types of stuff they'll put you through in Ranger school, so mileage may vary and all that. Just putting that out there.

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 PM
daniel lyell