Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 11-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
joe shininger

Default Feedback on my progress?

Hello all-

First off, hope this is the right area...please let me know if I goofed posting this here.

I have been doing CF for about 2 years, but only really started focusing on Olifts recently. I started following CA programming 2x a week back in the beginning of October-my 1RM for C&J was 235, and snatch was 165. Since then, my C&J has bumped to 245, and snatch to 185. I can only give 2x a week because I'm in my final year of law school and time is in short supply. I am becoming aware of technique issues that I have, and am working on correcting them. My question is whether my progress is normal, given that I am only training 2x a week right now. I'd really like to hit 300+ on C&J, and 200+ on snatch by my birthday (late Feb)-is that possible on my current approach? If not, how can I re-tool things?

Just for reference: 28 years old, 5'11", 223 lbs
joe shininger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Yuen Sohn

Hi Joe,
There are just a few more bits of info that would be useful to know:
1RM Back Squat
1RM Front Squat
1RM Power Snatch and Power Clean (if you've ever attempted a 1RM)
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
joe shininger

back squat-415
front squat-between 305 and 315, not 100% sure
Power clean-210
Power snatch-can't say I've ever tried a 1rm, but I can get 135 with ease so make of that what you will.

Just throwing it out there-haven't gone for a true 1rm on deadlift in forever, but I hit 415 for a triple in september. Don't know if that matters.

Edit: on the back squat-I was pretty confident that I could get more, but we use really thick bumper plates and I couldn't fit any more on the bar.
joe shininger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Yuen Sohn

Progress can vary quite a bit from person to person, but your numbers thus far seem quite normal.

Just speaking generally, a 200lb snatch is definitely attainable by Feb with your strength numbers, even with just two sessions per week. I think you're plenty strong to do it. It's probably a matter of correcting any form issues and getting more comfortable with the lift.

A 300lb c&j would represent an exceptionally large increase over a few months, generally speaking. This one's a tough goal, but hey half the fun is getting there, so why not? In order to C&J that weight, you should aim to increase your front squat to at least 330ish to 340ish. Your back squat is strong enough as is.

The rest is just working really intensively on form issues (see a coach if you can manage a break in your schedule or video tape every session) and putting in the time with the lifts by drilling them at somewhat challenging intensities.

Good ratios to shoot for are
Snatch 80% of C&J and
C&J 80-90% of FS

Just my thoughts.

Good luck!
Yuen Sohn is offline   Reply With Quote