Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 12-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #31
Donald Lee

Drop strength training to 1 day/week, and try to get at least 3 days/week of CO work. CO work responds to frequency moreso than even strength. Usually, with endurance athletes, 3 days/week is the bare minimum they can get by with for just maintenance. You can also do some aerobic work during rest intervals within strength workouts as active recovery (i.e. jump roping, shadow boxing, light medicine ball stuff, etc.). Maybe you can try to get your kids to go out on a jog with you, if they're old enough.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #32
Brian Lawyer

Donald, Not that I didn't trust you, but you know how guys are on these forums....haha. I did my own research and found this article that corroborates what you were telling me to do. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/ca...rinciples2.htm
Old 12-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #33
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
Donald, Not that I didn't trust you, but you know how guys are on these forums....haha. I did my own research and found this article that corroborates what you were telling me to do. http://www.elitefts.com/documents/ca...rinciples2.htm
Yeah...there's one other guy who also writes on Elite FTS who promotes similar stuff to Joel's, but I don't remember who he is.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #34
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Yeah...there's one other guy who also writes on Elite FTS who promotes similar stuff to Joel's, but I don't remember who he is.
I did my CO work today. I set my Polar heart rate monitor to a zone of 120 to 140 then proceeded to just wonder around the gym for 45 minutes. It went something like this:

Jump rope
Elliptical
Bike
Some different elliptical machine.
Jump rope
Yet another type of elliptical machine (this is the local Globo gym keep in mind I had plenty ellipticals to choose from.
More jump rope
Threw a medicine ball against the wall and floor.
Did some shadow boxing
Bike
Threw medicine ball around some more
Shadow box

Well you get the point. I did that for 45 minutes.... Sparring partners cancelled on me this week!! Sucks because there is a no-gi tourney Saturday that is only $20 to enter. If I would have had at least an hour of rolling around to polish my game I would have gone and done it.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #35
Derek Simonds

Where are you located Brian?

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #36
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
Where are you located Brian?
In the vicinity of Dallas, Texas.

I am really getting into Ross Enamait's materials lately. I came across a copy of his book Infinite Intensity and started incorporating some of his training ideas into my program. With some of my Christmas money I am going to get his other books and DVD.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #37
Donald Lee

Quote:
In the vicinity of Dallas, Texas.

I am really getting into Ross Enamait's materials lately. I came across a copy of his book Infinite Intensity and started incorporating some of his training ideas into my program. With some of my Christmas money I am going to get his other books and DVD.
Does that mean you're done with the CO stuff? If you do get Ross' other stuff, the conditioning one is a good way to go. I'm warning you though. It's basically HIIT/metcons + strength training.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 AM   #38
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Does that mean you're done with the CO stuff? If you do get Ross' other stuff, the conditioning one is a good way to go. I'm warning you though. It's basically HIIT/metcons + strength training.
No I did my two days of CO last week and plan to do two days this week. I will update my training log for you to review. The link is in my signature. Subscribe to it if you want and I will attempt to keep in up to date. I have a journal I log my workouts in normally.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #39
Donald Lee

Quote:
No I did my two days of CO last week and plan to do two days this week. I will update my training log for you to review. The link is in my signature. Subscribe to it if you want and I will attempt to keep in up to date. I have a journal I log my workouts in normally.
I'll try to keep track. I hope things turn out better in your upcoming fight
Old 12-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #40
Tina Sisk

Quote:
I did my CO work today. I set my Polar heart rate monitor to a zone of 120 to 140 then proceeded to just wonder around the gym for 45 minutes. It went something like this:

Jump rope
Elliptical
Bike
Some different elliptical machine.
Jump rope
Yet another type of elliptical machine (this is the local Globo gym keep in mind I had plenty ellipticals to choose from.
More jump rope
Threw a medicine ball against the wall and floor.
Did some shadow boxing
Bike
Threw medicine ball around some more
Shadow box

Well you get the point. I did that for 45 minutes.... Sparring partners cancelled on me this week!! Sucks because there is a no-gi tourney Saturday that is only $20 to enter. If I would have had at least an hour of rolling around to polish my game I would have gone and done it.
Many MMA athletes will alternate times of weights and cardio, rest one complete day after which learn fighting skills and spar another six days every week. Therefore, an example schedule may mean Monday, weightlifting and wrestling; Tuesday, cardio and boxing; Wednesday, weightlifting and kicking; Thursday, cardio and boxing; Friday, weightlifting and sparring; Saturday, cardio and practicing a really weak area; then resting on Sunday. Obviously, every athlete differs. Some MMA athletes must work full-time, so their schedule is shortened. Other athletes possess a strong wrestling background therefore focus their attention on boxing, Tai boxing, kicking and punching. Your unique expertise, experiences and life situation will dictate your schedule.

Make use of an elliptical in your cardio days along with a stationary bike or treadmill. Many MMA gyms advocate running while using elliptical for 20 to 40 minutes, moving away from and performing other routines for example sit-ups or pushups, then jumping back on the elliptical for Twenty minutes, moving away from and perhaps carrying out a round of sparring or learning some techniques. This frantic, random group of activity emulates what are the body experiences during an MMA match.

Realize that the main reason many MMA athletes make use of an elliptical happens because they offer a great cardiovascular workout without jarring the joints or back. Many coaches believe running on the treadmill or on the grass or dirt track puts undue pressure on vital joints and recommend utilizing an elliptical (more elliptical workout info here)
Tina Sisk is offline   Reply With Quote