Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
R. Alan Hester

Default BJJ and LSD; or, not throwing the baby out....

...with the bath water.

http://www.graciemag.com/en/2010/01/...h-a-bad-thing/

I have noticed personally that 30 minute jogs on 2 off days over 4-day long weekends seems to give me more mat gas. I have tried taking 4-day travel breaks with the following over the last 15 months:

1) LSD 2 days;
2) No LSD but instead 2 high intensity circuit days;
3) Nothing but stretching.

When I return to class, my mat gas is noticeably better doing number 1, with number 2 and 3 coming in 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

At first, I bought into the LSD is old school for fighters, hi intensity is where it is at. I couldn't tell you why it works for me, though.

Any ideas?
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Alan Hester View Post
...with the bath water.

I have noticed personally that 30 minute jogs on 2 off days over 4-day long weekends seems to give me more mat gas. I have tried taking 4-day travel breaks with the following over the last 15 months:

1) LSD 2 days;

When I return to class, my mat gas is noticeably better doing number 1, with number 2 and 3 coming in 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

At first, I bought into the LSD is old school for fighters, hi intensity is where it is at. I couldn't tell you why it works for me, though.

Any ideas?
If I tripped on LSD for 2 days straight I would need a lot more than stretching by weeks end.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Anton Emery

Thanks for that link. I am trying to figure that out myself, just started on on the programming ideas laid out in Joel Jamieson's MMA Conditioning book. We'll see how it goes when i am done.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

I like JJ's online stuff. How is the book?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
R. Alan Hester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
If I tripped on LSD for 2 days straight I would need a lot more than stretching by weeks end.
Well played, sir. After I posted that I knew I left myself open: LSD, mat gas, etc.
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
I like JJ's online stuff. How is the book?
Lyle reviewed it. You can read the review in the middle of this thread:

http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopi...c2576346f02449
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Alan Hester View Post
...with the bath water.

1) LSD 2 days;

Any ideas?
This is from one of Lyle's articles:

Quote:
The Importance of the Aerobic Engine

Now, it’s worth noting that a lot of ‘how long is necessary’ depends on the event and the term ‘endurance sport’ covers a tremendous amount of ground. Strictly speaking, pretty much any event lasting about 2 minutes or longer has an endurance component and aerobic endurance becomes an increasingly more important contributor to performance as the duration moves past that point.

Here’s a good example, the German track cycling team which set a world record and won the gold in 2000, training for the 4km team pursuit (an event that lasts about 4 minutes) spent the majority of their training time doing easy aerobic work with only a small amount of intensity work (that occurred in the form of stage races done every few months and short periods of interval work right before their main event). That’s for an event lasting 4 minutes.

Rowers, whose even lasts roughly 6 minutes or so do the same, an enormous amount of aerobic work for the same reason. Sure there’s an anaerobic component but it’s typically done in fairly small amounts to ’sharpen’ the athlete right before their event. The predominant training is aerobic.

Tangentially, you might keep that in mind the next time you read an article about how a mixed martial arts guy (who may be doing repeat rounds of 4-5 minutes with a short rest) should be doing nothing but interval work for conditioning. Because, simply put, the guy with the bigger aerobic engine will outperform the guy running on higher anaerobic capacities. The aerobic guy will not only recover better between rounds but, since he can generate more energy aerobically during the round, he won’t gas as fast. Which isn’t to say that fighters of any sort should be doing nothing but or enormous amounts of aerobic work mind you; both extremes are going to result in poor performance. But I’m getting off topic.

Of course, as the events increase in duration, the contribution of aerobic metabolism to performance goes up and up. While a cyclist racing a criterium (a race done on a fairly short course with lots of corners) needs the ability to jump coming out of the corner, the duration of that race (an hour) requires a large aerobic engine. As the distance goes up, the contribution of aerobic metabolism goes up to and this is reflected in the training done.

Why? Because anything longer than about 2 minutes is going to be aerobic in nature.
You should probably read Lyle's series on Methods of Endurance Training.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/cat...rance-training
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
James Evans

Donald, have you read the book?

I've found JJ's articles interesting in the past. I'm surprised there isn't more traffic at his forum and I notice that Lyle answers most of the questions.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Steve Shafley

The basic legit issue is that you can't open the throttle 100% of the time.

This is why so many boxers do roadwork. It's not that they don't know about more intense training methods, or that their trainer has antiquated ideas on training, it's just that you cannot go hard every time you go out.

This applies to everyone, across the board, any sport, any training style.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
Donald, have you read the book?

I've found JJ's articles interesting in the past. I'm surprised there isn't more traffic at his forum and I notice that Lyle answers most of the questions.
I read the book right when it came out, almost a year ago.

I used Joel's methods to help train for the military, and I was easily able to figure out my deficiencies and train them accordingly. For example, the Tempo Method trains the slow twitch fibers, and I found that I could do a max set of pullups and not be absolutely trashed afterwards because the development of slow twitch fibers helped me to recover. But, my max number of pullups didn't go up, so when I started doing more of the Explosive Repeat method, which works the oxidative capacities of the fast twitch fibers, my max number of pullups went up.

I also used his Cardiac Output training and High Intensity Continuous Intervals (HICT) to help with my running.

I don't use his methods anymore, since I dropped out of the military and am more interested in gymnastics and strength training. I do frequent his forum though, and I was introduced to Block Training and much more through him.