Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #21
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Watching your event work is kick-ass. You were working out until 4:00am? I thought you old guys needed your sleep!
I agree on both parts with Emily. As a fellow old guy I definitely need my sleep. Glad you are 100% and glad your daughter is still hanging with you in the gym.

Jr's practice just got moved from Saturday morning to Friday night and my daughter was upset. Saturday mornings have been our time for the last two years. She would hang out with me in the garage gym and then go with me to BJJ. She doesn't want to give up that time with me. I made her a promise that her and I would continue to have just our time.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #22
Arden Cogar Jr.

Derek,
That is awesome!!!! Enjoy that time, it won't last forever. I can't wait until my younger daughter takes an interest in WL. She will be a force to reckon with. But as of now, she's into crafting and eating.

I would consider myself immensely blessed if I had to do two independent sessions with each daughter because them working out together simply would NOT work.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Simonds View Post
I agree on both parts with Emily. As a fellow old guy I definitely need my sleep. Glad you are 100% and glad your daughter is still hanging with you in the gym.

Jr's practice just got moved from Saturday morning to Friday night and my daughter was upset. Saturday mornings have been our time for the last two years. She would hang out with me in the garage gym and then go with me to BJJ. She doesn't want to give up that time with me. I made her a promise that her and I would continue to have just our time.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:18 AM   #23
Arden Cogar Jr.

1.19.10 - taught a barbell class at Firebreather Fitness - concentration was power cleans and squat cleans. Must have done close to a 100 reps with 60 kilos divided between the two movements.

Then got roped into doing the met-con - Chelsea. Made it 8 rounds of 6 pull ups, 12 push ups, and 18 air squats before I said no mas.

1.20.10 - lats and biceps were sore from the pull ups the previous night. But continued with normally scheduled session.

this session was at 5 a.m. as I had to be in Court pretty early.

Started with yoga and roller. Then did the following:
box cleans: 20x3, 40x3, 70x3, 100x3, 120x3x3 - the 120 should have been easy as it's about 65 to 70% - but for some reason, and I'm guessing the met-con from the night before fatigued me as it was hard. I should have lightened up. Live and learn.
Then did push press: Went 40x5, 70x5, 100x5x3. The 100 felt so easy I was tempted to go heavier, but didn't. I'm in "deload week."
Then did front squat: went 135lbx3, 225x3, 275x3, 295x3, 315x3.
Then did clean pulls: went 120x3, 165x3x3. Worked on getting onto my heels during the first pull. Still a long way to go on these.
Then did 2 board: went 135x10, 225x5, 275x3x4.
Then did abs:
Here's some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihsqBrLgEdE

Got up this morning 1.21.10 and my lats and biceps are still sore - WTH? Man, I'm outta shape.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #24
Brian DeGennaro

Wow, those cleans were better! Inconsistent with staying flat footed longer but much better! Those pulls were great too. Keep working that consistency and that speed through the middle, it'll get there.

Tip: on the pulls, try to focus on exploding hard enough to make the weights weightless, that ought to make some things click.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #25
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Wow, those cleans were better! Inconsistent with staying flat footed longer but much better! Those pulls were great too. Keep working that consistency and that speed through the middle, it'll get there.

Tip: on the pulls, try to focus on exploding hard enough to make the weights weightless, that ought to make some things click.

Thanks Brian. I read that long thread on WE about extending/thigh brush/2nd brush and it really got me to thinking.

I'm doing both movements tomorrow. I'll really focus on exploding during the transition.

Thanks again.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #26
Arden Cogar Jr.

1.21.10. Ok, I'm still store from the pullups from Tuesday night, WTH? Yeah, I can smell it.

Had a meeting close to home late afternoon, so came home and abused myself with event training. Was very spirited. Enjoyed it big time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jumOQjEIiM

I hope I can get up in the morning to do my beefcake, i've got a trial at 9:30 2 hours away. So I will have to be in the barn at 4:00 a.m. to make it happen.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #27
Arden Cogar Jr.

Last deload workout. And it was a fun one. Will get the video uploaded when I get home. I did this session at 4 a.m. as i had to be in court at 8:30 2 hours from my home.

Snatches: went 20x3, 40x3, 60x3, 75x3x3 - I lost the last snatch on the last set and went flying backwards, caught it on tape. Somehow managed to throw the barbell forward as I was off the ground flying backwards. Awesome.
Cleans: went 70x3, 100x3, 120x3x3
Jerks: went 70x3, 100x3, 120x3x3
Squats: went 135lbx5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5, 315x5
RDLs: went 120x5, 165x4x5
Abs
More roller and yoga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u5iaMAfpko

1.23.10 waterpark in Sevierville, TN - good lord this has been a long day of running up stairs, chasing my 9 year-old, and riding water rides. I never knew a wave pool could be so debilitating. Then we went to Magi-quest and completed 10 "quests" in 2 hours - she ran me ragged there too. Gonna sleep good tonight.

1.24.10 - nothing physical, but driving and packing up.

1.25.10 I had some epic beefcake tonight. Lots of PRs. Deload works. Even when I suck and miss lifts because I suck. Not that I don't have the strength, I just suck. And I'm okay with it because I suck less than I used to. I believe in degrees of sucking.

Started with yoga and roller.
Then to box power snatch. Went 20x3, 40x3, 60x3, 75x3, 90x3, 100x3, 100x3, 100x3 - each of the 100x3 were PRs. I know it leaves a lot to be desired, but i think my barpath is less loopy with the heavier weights? Still loopy, but less loopy. Sucks less? I think?
Then did some tall box drills; 40x2, 60x2, 70x2
Then did some OHS: 75x5, 105x3, 105x3, 105x3, 105x3
Then did some back squats: went 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 500x5 - that 500x5 was the heaviest I've gone in more than 10 years. I did it for 8 when I was younger and lot stoopider. I actually feel a lot stronger now than I did then. Look like ****, but oh well - I can deal with it.
Then did snatch pulls: went 100x3, 130x3x3.
Then did 4 board - 135x5, 225x5, 315x5 - left shoulder wasn't feeling right, so ditched it.
Then did some kb presses - really fixed my shoulder. it stopped hurting. Went 16x5RL, 24x5RL, 32x5RL, 40x5RL, 48x2R,1L.
Then did abs.

highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLtsqo_HNz
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #28
Brian Stone

Arden, that is some impressive training for the timbersports stuff. Out of curiosity, to maintain such a frenetic pace and duration, what kind of calories do you eat? Those workouts look absolutely painful!

Great work!

log
Brian Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #29
Brian DeGennaro

Good stuff! Speed is slowly picking up. One big note, make sure you really set your back off the floor with your snatches, it appears a wee bit loose, other than that, just pull it slower and accelerate the hell out of it above the knees, and snap those elbows into place overhead. Like you should accelerate that bar faster than Usain Bolt crossing the finish line of the 100m and besting the world record by another 5 seconds (I can give you more ways of thinking about it if need be).
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #30
Arden Cogar Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post
Arden, that is some impressive training for the timbersports stuff. Out of curiosity, to maintain such a frenetic pace and duration, what kind of calories do you eat? Those workouts look absolutely painful!

Great work!
Brian,
LOL. I eat about half what I used to. I would guess about 10 years ago, I ate about 6 to 7k calories a day. Now, I'd say I'm around 3,500 to 3,000 depending upon my level of activity for the day. If I'm event training, I normally eat a bit more than I would if I'm lifting. For the very reason you mention.

On competition days, I eat between 4,500 and 5,000.

I'm slowly becoming more paleo, but I still drink 3 to 4 protein shakes a day (a carryover from bb'ing days and reinforced by two recent bouts with the Velocity Diet). It's a necessity given my work as getting real meals is hard when I'm on the run. I am having a hard time giving up cheese, beans, and my one meal of heaven per week (pizza).

all the best,
Arden