Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
Andew Cattermole

Default BCAA research

Thought this might be interesting for some of you out there

Something new from our AIS
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/news/p...nce_for_longer

Researching the effects of amino acids on longer sports performance

New research into the use of amino acid supplements to reduce fatigue in players of team sports is being carried out in Melbourne under the direction Dr Nigel Stepto (principal researcher) of Victoria University, Dr Graeme Hyman from Monash University and Australian Institute of Sport Physiology researcher Professor David Pyne.

Highly skilled, fast paced team sports, such as Australian rules football, require players to perform at consistently high intensities for long periods. Excessive fatigue can impair physical performance, skill execution and decision-making, so the ability to limit fatigue during a game gives players a competitive edge over the opposition.

Serotonin, a chemical produced naturally in the body, controls the level of fatigue. The more serotonin present in your brain, the more tired you feel, mentally and physically.

Athletes from different sub-division Melbourne Australian rules football teams have been recruited as subjects for the project, which involves them taking a high dose of serotonin-depleting branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) three hours before completing a series of sport-specific activities. Level of fatigue is assessed by monitoring the ability of the players to complete game and training exercises.

The experimental design has been structured so that the results can be related to the manipulation of serotonin levels. The supplements should, in theory, counteract the detrimental effects of serotonin build-up. The BCAA dosages have been closely monitored, as low levels of serotonin in some individuals can cause depression and trigger bipolar disorders.

Initial findings from the project have been positive, and there will be further investigation into similar but more practical amino acid formulations to try to achieve the same effects. Dosing regimens and applicability to other team sports are also being considered.

There is also potential for non-athletic populations to benefit from the findings. Dr Stepto believes that amino acid supplementation might eventually improve conditions for people working in high stress and fatigue jobs, such as the military, law enforcement and the transport industry, and even sufferers of chronic fatigue syndrome.
Andew Cattermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

BCAAs are the real deal. I sip on them fasted with water and have lots of energy.

I'm sure Gatorade is working on their BCAA version as we speak.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Matthieu Hertilus

I second BCAA use. I usually have 5g mixed w/ 2-3 g creatine before and during my training session, and I can still keep performance up.

It's also great if you're looking to reduce calories overall in your diet. I dropped some fat fast by using just BCAA + Creatine after my sessions instead of a protein drink. I hope that helps some people here as well.
Trueprotein.com discount code: MUH937
Matthieu Hertilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Ari Kestler

Thoughts on sipping BCAAs all day long on days when you don't have time to eat?

On days when I'm working 12s, either day or night I have time for maybe one meal. Can obviously drink here and there....

How many grams of BCAAs would I be looking to shoot for? As a % of lbm?

Anything to worry about?
Ari Kestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Kestler View Post
Thoughts on sipping BCAAs all day long on days when you don't have time to eat?

On days when I'm working 12s, either day or night I have time for maybe one meal. Can obviously drink here and there....

How many grams of BCAAs would I be looking to shoot for? As a % of lbm?

Anything to worry about?
Not sure there is an exact number....I throw in 10+g per gallon water...then eat plenty of protein otherwise. Poloquin will say 20-40g/day (that can get expensive!). Will also depend on how much protein you eat later on, as that daily number is the real factor. Don't sweat about needing it spread out all the time, look up "protein pulsing"...as it works fine for many. You may not go IFBB pro, but I'm assuming most on here are not.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Tony Ferous

I noticed my Now BCAA powder says it contains 'milk derivative', that shouldnt surprise me i guess, milks an obvious place to start refining the bcaa from.
Anyone know a bcaa product that states no milk/dairy though?
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
Jane Michel

Label on Xtend says nothing about milk