Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
Donald Lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 646
Default

Jay,

You should check out Lyle's article series on endurance training. He doesn't go over in detail all the adaptations that occur with endurance training, but he does go over pretty much all the types of training for endurance. And, Barry Ross' stuff has nothing to do with endurance training. And, intervals have their place, but not in the beginning of an endurance program. HIIT, such as Tabatas, has no place in an endurance training program.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #12
Jay Cohen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Pa
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Jay,

You should check out Lyle's article series on endurance training. He doesn't go over in detail all the adaptations that occur with endurance training, but he does go over pretty much all the types of training for endurance. And, Barry Ross' stuff has nothing to do with endurance training. And, intervals have their place, but not in the beginning of an endurance program. HIIT, such as Tabatas, has no place in an endurance training program.

Don, you're on the mark. I ran a benchmark 5k in Nov, came in around 22ish, my coach wanted me to dump the speed work and build a good base of anywhere from 25-35 per week of easy running, I'm been trying to build to that, plus keep two days of the 5/3/1 program, along with some rest.

I see speed work coming end of March.

Thanks for feedback.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 AM   #13
Jay Cohen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Western Pa
Posts: 416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McElhone View Post
An 18min 5k is very, very impressive. That is a solid goal. What is your goal for the strength training?

Have you looked at Pavel's PTP?

Hey Pat, thanks for the kind words.

I'm currently following the 5/3/1 program, training Monday/Friday. My long term strength goal is very basic, 1 x bw Press, 1.5 x bw bench, 2 x BW squat and 2.5 x bw DL. My current weight is 168ish. While these numbers are no way shape or form impressive, in fact, rather "light", I try to maintain a balance with other activities, i.e. running, scuba diving, ballroom dancing, some bike riding, kayak work, little climbing, you get the picture......

So much to do, so little time.

Have a great day.
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #14
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Hey Pat, thanks for the kind words.

I'm currently following the 5/3/1 program, training Monday/Friday. My long term strength goal is very basic, 1 x bw Press, 1.5 x bw bench, 2 x BW squat and 2.5 x bw DL. My current weight is 168ish. While these numbers are no way shape or form impressive, in fact, rather "light", I try to maintain a balance with other activities, i.e. running, scuba diving, ballroom dancing, some bike riding, kayak work, little climbing, you get the picture......

So much to do, so little time.

Have a great day.
Good goals, IMO...very similar to my own. I've almost got the squat and bench done, but I'm not trying to do any longer running!
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Yeah, you can get some decent times with longer interval work.

But you definitely need the endurance work to do anything good with it.

Doesn't look like it corresponds much to your goals though.
__________________
Posts NOT intended as professional medical, training or nutrition advice.
Site // Bodyweight Strength Training Article // Overcoming Gravity Bodyweight Book
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #16
Donald Lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Don, you're on the mark. I ran a benchmark 5k in Nov, came in around 22ish, my coach wanted me to dump the speed work and build a good base of anywhere from 25-35 per week of easy running, I'm been trying to build to that, plus keep two days of the 5/3/1 program, along with some rest.

I see speed work coming end of March.

Thanks for feedback.
Jay,

That's a pretty good time to be starting at. I think my best 3-mile time was 21:25 ish, but I was running with a bum knee. You could try doing some light high-rep jumping squats after your regular lifting to develop the elastic abilities of your legs. Verkhoshansky has it in the first 1/3 of his program for 5k-ish distances.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator