Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Martin Bonn

Gant, I can see what you mean! I find it hard to remove all 'heavy' squatting in fear of it all going down the drain! The last thing I need is for my clean to go down! But I suppose I might have to do that in order to benefit in the long run! I guess you are right: I'm not doing myself any favours by squatting near a max with crappy form!

Arden: I think you hit the nail on the head as it were! I think GE said this recently somewhere as well: if you want to be better at something do it more often!
Your advice is good, I'll use it in a slightly different way. I like your simple 5x3. I'll do that maybe 2/week with moderate weights and then two sessions with 3x3, slightly heavier, no maxes for a while. I'll drop the BS as well for the time being, that will need addressing in the future!
TOTAL: 227kg

Youtube
Martin Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Taking a couple steps back to take ten forward is a no-brainer. You don't have to be training at near-max to get stronger. Even though you're dropping down in weight, you won't necessarily lose strength. I imagine you'll find that, after a few weeks of practice, your FS numbers will increase.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
Martin Bonn

You are right with that! I can just get a little obsessive over numbers and everytime they go down i make a massive deal out of it. I just need to pull my finger out!
It's just got to hear this from other people, sometimes you need that little bit of pushing to do the right thing (God that sounds deep, we are only talking about FS after all!)!

Youtube
Old 02-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #14
Brian DeGennaro

Martin, you can also try looking up when you front squat, like so: http://sportivnypress.com/documents/...quat_ezg_1.jpg
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #15
Shane Skowron

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question on FS technique I haven't seen answered.

When I FS close to my max, I have a tendency to push my knees out really far. All the cues I read say to push knees out, and I'm always careful not to let my knees cave inward, but how far outward is too far? The knees go a little bit outside my feet. I usually feel it in my aductors almost as much as everywhere else.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
Brandon Oto

You're recruiting your glutes... I don't think it's a problem. You can angle your feet out more if you're worried about knee torsion.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
Martin Bonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian DeGennaro View Post
Martin, you can also try looking up when you front squat, like so: http://sportivnypress.com/documents/...quat_ezg_1.jpg

That's an impressive squat! I'm experimenting with something like that atm, I'll defo give it shot, I'm willing to try almost anything!

Youtube