Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Kevin Green

Default Snatch Grip too wide?

I am just getting into Oly lifting and have been reading Olympic Weightlifting by Greg Everett. His recommendation in the book to determine snatch grip is to bend over at the waist with the bar in hand and move your hands out, keeping the bar in that position. When I do this my hands go to the collars because I have really long arms. (6' with a 78" reach) Evidently I have a short torso because when I hold the bar overhead it is only about 1-2 inches above my head. Are my hands too far out?

I look at other guys in the catch position and even the guys that have their hands out to the collars have the bar a good 4-6 inches above their head. I am not snatching this way because I am still in the early phases but I am starting to OHS and it feels very awkward and unstable in that position. That could also be just a lack of strength on my part.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Michael McKenna

Kevin, as a beginner, feel free to move your hands in somehwat. I'm 6'1 and can easily grip collar to collar, but I don't on my pull (I shift my hands out on the catch and end up collar to collar).

After a few months, or maybe even weeks, you can shift your grip outwards for the pull. Try to put the bar four inches or so overhead when you OHS and use that as your pulling width. I just taught a class last night and had the women use that as a guide.

If you start to feel better with the wider grip, then stick with that.
Michael McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Kevin Green

Michael,
I am definitely not comfortable with the bar being only about an inch overhead. I have also worked on snatch grip deadlifts and had to move my hands in to maintain grip.

Thanks for giving me the same advice you give women. I can read between the lines.

Kevin
Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Michael McKenna

Beginners, I should say beginners. It just happens to be a class called "Free Weights for Women".

My son, who is taller then me and has much longer arms, also snatches with a closer grip, an inch or so right outside the rings on the bar. He's no expert, and he needs the control until his strength improves. Of course, he trains so sporadically that the strength might never improve.
Michael McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Kevin Green

Thanks for the advice. I will try moving my hands in a little until I am comfortable. I have the strength to press a lot more than I can hold overhead in the OHS. I think it is such a foreign movement to me and that is more of a problem than the pure strength. I just want to get it right so when I start moving from PVC to a real bar that I am comfortable getting the weight overhead without worrying about stability.

Kevin