Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #51
Derek Weaver

Definitely. I wouldn't just set a kid in a weight room and tell him to have at it. However, I wouldn't have them do 5/3/1. I would think that there are plenty of other ways to set up a competition. Farmers walks, sprints, playing time. At my old high school there was a wall of strength so to speak. Supervised one rep mazes at the end of the summer and again in spring, the highest maxes went on the wall. In some cases there were records up there for years.

As far as strength goes, a high school kid, of all trainees, has the potential to benefit the most from a more aggressive approach to adding weight to the bar and in turn his frame.

If this new approach is targeted for more advanced athletes like college and pros then great. That makes more sense to me.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #52
Dominic Sirianni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
when I get a copy of it, I'll post my opinion of it... then again with 150 pages worth of info, I bet they will take into account a novice athlete, guess we will see.
I'm sure there will be some filler content that doesn't differ much from the 5/3/1 original, like how to do the lifts, how to do the assistance lifts, some log tables, some success stories. I doubt it will be 150 pages of tightly spaced dense information.

CrossFit 305 - Sweet Fitness in the heart of Miami
Dominic Sirianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #53
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Sirianni View Post
I'm sure there will be some filler content that doesn't differ much from the 5/3/1 original, like how to do the lifts, how to do the assistance lifts, some log tables, some success stories. I doubt it will be 150 pages of tightly spaced dense information.
I think you will be surprised how much info is in it...

Derek, case in point. I have a high school baseball player I am training now. He is a decent player, from what his coach says, but he is weak and needs to be stronger. He has good contact but for his frame he has little power.

I started with him 9 sessions ago. Took him from hardly being able to stabilize a 45# bar on the bench to doing 75# for 8 reps. I have him doing box squats because he has knee problems and doing weighted squats are a major issue. His first day under the bar he had problems with a 55# bar off the box, yesterday he did 155# for 5 reps.

First day he was horrific with bodyweight squats, pushups, body rows. Now he can bust out 50 air squats with no problem, 15 pushups from only doing 2, and about 10 body rows from doing zero.

He came from square zero to this in 9 sessions so far. Basic strength program, and we are doing some sled pushes for conditioning, shuttle runs for movement, sledgehammer strikes on the tire for swing power and a fair amount of core work.

His coach called me the other day and said he won a hitting prize at practice for farthest ball hit and he has seen a noticeable difference in his speed and bat speed.

Like you said, it is not hard to train a high school kid, you just have to prod him in the right direction.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #54
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

These are strange stories you guys tell. Here in Texas, motivation isn't a problem, at least at the larger high schools. Regardless of UIL "rules," if you don't show up, you're off the team. If you show up but don't work hard, you won't get to start.

The most frequent problem I see here are logistics and eating. Logistically speaking, the basic programs work because they're simple, specific, and most schools can throw together 3-4 stations and have 4-5 of everything. Of course someone is going to have to bench before they squat, but whatever. The next problem is getting the damn kids to eat enough.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 AM   #55
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
These are strange stories you guys tell. Here in Texas, motivation isn't a problem, at least at the larger high schools. Regardless of UIL "rules," if you don't show up, you're off the team. If you show up but don't work hard, you won't get to start.

The most frequent problem I see here are logistics and eating. Logistically speaking, the basic programs work because they're simple, specific, and most schools can throw together 3-4 stations and have 4-5 of everything. Of course someone is going to have to bench before they squat, but whatever. The next problem is getting the damn kids to eat enough.
at the larger schools you have insane competition, plus in Texas HS sports (esp football) are a religion. Here on Long Island it isn't quite the same.

There is so many things kids can do here to occupy their time, plus the demographics are different. We have areas here that have incredibly wealthy families and with that seems to come the kid who wants it given to them. Even in the poorer areas the direction seems to be lacking.

Its a shame but its true. Not many kids are self-motivated to hit the gym and bust out a set of heavy squats, they are more content with trying to look good for the clubs and look like a bodybuilder. Its the culture here, its different...

In the schools that have a tradition (St Anthony's high school) it is different but that is only because the parents send their kids there to excel, and the kids are expected to work hard to play sports there.

Even Lacrosse programs here are behind the times in strength work. You have a tradition of great lacrosse players and coaches here, but more often that not in the offseason they train like something out of a Flex magazine.

The ones that don't train that way, excel.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #56
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ashman View Post
at the larger schools you have insane competition, plus in Texas HS sports (esp football) are a religion. Here on Long Island it isn't quite the same.
Being from LI I can attest to that! Where in LI are you again Jay? Next time I visit my parents up there I'd like to check out your setup.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #57
Jay Ashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
Being from LI I can attest to that! Where in LI are you again Jay? Next time I visit my parents up there I'd like to check out your setup.
Nice...

Babylon. You?

I don't have my own place, I won't for a while. Rent is expensive as shit here. At the best I can get 1000 sq ft for 7 bucks a sq ft and that is in an industrial park with no visibility other than word of mouth and advertising. That would be 7 grand a month and I'd have to pay all my own utilities and maintenance. Upwards of 8000 a month for just rent and utilities... minus what I need to make out of that to pay my personal household bills I would need to have about 65 fulltime clients at $125 a month just to pay my bills. That is difficult to do.

I honestly don't know how CF boxes make money here, I've been to several and a couple of them are in high traffic areas and I know the rent has to be about 15-30 dollars a sq ft there...

I'm not into committing financial suicide at this stage of my life so I work out of World Gym in West Babylon. I'm an independent trainer for them and they have everything I need. Strongman, powerlifting, sports performance equipment, some incredible athletes/lifters there so I have a supply of face-to-face knowledge if I have a question. We are the last gym on the Island that has a setup like we do that is "public". The others are Catz, CF gyms and some place in Stony Brook that is appointment only. So I am lucky.

If you come back up, let me know, you can use my place for your training for sure.