Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Combat Sports

Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Brian Lawyer

Default MMA Library for sale (good deal!)

Hey guys,
I just listed my 7 book collection of MMA books if you are interested,
MMA Library - Muay Thai Jiu Jitsu Mixed Martial Arts - eBay (item 140386960096 end time Mar-04-10 14:26:27 PST)

It includes:
Jiu-Jitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro

Mixed Martial Arts Book of Knowledge by BJ Penn and Glenn Cordoza

Mastering Jujitsu by Renzo Gracie

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique by Renzo Gracie and Royler Gracie

Jackson's MMA: The Standup Game

Tao of Jeet Kune Do by Bruce Lee

Muay Thai Unleashed by Erich Kraus and Glenn Cordoza
Old 02-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
Donald Lee

How'd your fight in January go?
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Brian Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
How'd your fight in January go?
I quit the week before. I was in killer shape to. I really busted my ass for about two months, lot's of sparring, cardio etc. I was feeling really great. I even had a really solid training session about 10 days before where I went about 6-8 three minute rounds with 3 different opponents.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, I finally had some clarity in my life and realized I can't do MMA anymore. I have other responsibilities and a hobby like MMA consumes me too much with the competitve aspect.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
I quit the week before. I was in killer shape to. I really busted my ass for about two months, lot's of sparring, cardio etc. I was feeling really great. I even had a really solid training session about 10 days before where I went about 6-8 three minute rounds with 3 different opponents.

Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your point of view, I finally had some clarity in my life and realized I can't do MMA anymore. I have other responsibilities and a hobby like MMA consumes me too much with the competitve aspect.
That is totally understandable. I was training for a bit in Jeet Kune Do, BJJ, and Kalis Ilustrisimo before I realized I couldn't afford it and didn't have the time to devote to all that. Being good at everything sometimes just doesn't work out...
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Grissim Connery

I'm dealing with the same situation this week. i feel really pressured to do arnold's, but because of school, i've not trained as much as i would like to be confident. midterms are this week, so i don't want to think about my game while i'm studying, and also i have no money right now. yet the pressure to compete and excell is intense.

it's one of those times to remind yourself that it's just a hobby, and it doesn't put food on the table.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Grissim Connery

oh and about the books, they're all solid. the saulo one is probably the most informative book i've seen. i remember when i was having trouble with what he calls the "x-pass" (it's not an x-guard pass, it's just a variation on standup passing). i flipped through for just a minute and saw it. he had one line that made me go "...oh." that was my main pass for like 3 months. then of course, everybody knew what pass i wanted to do, so it doesn't work anymore hah.

maybe in a few months when everybody gets used to my passes now, i'll bring it back.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post

Damn dude, you don't have to drop the whole thing. Assuming you like the martial arts aspect and not just the fighting, you can still train and enjoy your hobby.

I quit Kenpo in my early 20s because I started to acquire responsibilities that kept me from being able to train 15 hours a week (and other stupid things). I didn't want any part of it if I couldn't be the best. I regret that decision to this day.

I found judo years later. I didn't really start competing until I was a brown belt (in judo, the divisions are below brown and brown + black, that's it). Every opponent I face has more experience and better technique than I do. This problem is compounded by the fact I only get to go to class once a week (if I'm not traveling), which isn't enough. I teach a Jap JJ class and mix in some occasional BJJ, but that's all I get for training.

I win some, and I lose some. Yeah, it's frustrating to lose to a 22 year old NCAA wrestler because I don't have time to condition like he does, but I'm happy just to be on the mat and still compete with the kids at 35. Schedule permitting, I may enter a NAGA tourney later this year if I can get some more mat work in.

It's all about managing expectations. My growth is limited by the constraints of adult life. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy the time I can spend.

Hopefully you can find some balance.

PS I also sold my MA library which really pisses me off today...especially since I have repurchased a few books I used to own.

Give it some thought. If you change your mind, I'll "buy" your library for $300, you keep the books, and we both get good feedback.

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 03-02-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
Chuck Kechter

What Gant said... Reframe and enjoy the play!

"Who cares if your "deadly art" was originally practiced in a temple in some obscure corner of Bangladesh if an ill-tempered girl scout with 6 months of boxing can knock the hell out of its practitioners?" --Mike Driscoll
Chuck Kechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Mark Joseph Limbaga

If I may chime in...

I have been training on and off for God knows how long...

I got to compete in MMA last year at age 30 ( damn I'm getting old) since I barely had enough time to train due to work-related issues... If given the opportunity to train more often and probably compete, I'd take it but heck, you also gotta pay the bills

Now, whenever I get the chance to train, I always grab it... Many guys have the time but don't maximize their training, many guys give up more important things for training, many guys don't train enough and want to compete, making themselves look foolish...

find balance, you can always make do with what you're given...
Mark Joseph Limbaga is offline   Reply With Quote