Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Mike Kerce

Default Where to Start?

if you're not training for or participating in competition, is there any reason to buy competition KBs? i'm just trying to get into kb training and i want to buy quality equipment, but what should a newb be looking for when buying KBs? does it matter, or should i just pick up what i can find and give it a whirl? thanks to any that can provide some advice.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 AM   #2
Bill Ripley

No reason to buy comp bells. There are plenty of people making quality bells that are much cheaper. Start with Pavel's program minimum - swings and get ups - and move on from there. And for gods sake keep the swings shoulder height or lower.
Bill Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Mike Kerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ripley View Post
No reason to buy comp bells. There are plenty of people making quality bells that are much cheaper. Start with Pavel's program minimum - swings and get ups - and move on from there. And for gods sake keep the swings shoulder height or lower.
ha - i'm really glad you said that. the CF style of "American" KB swings always seemed somewhat pointless to me, and like a good way to get hurt. glad i won't ever have to do them again.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Derek Weaver

I would actually spring for the competition KBs.

If you think you're going to be doing long sets and progressing to heavier bells, the uniform handle and uniform size of the 'bell itself will ensure proper and consistent technique as you progress.

Perform Better runs deals all the time. I think they are either having a sale or will be having one soon.

I wouldn't go through the AKC for the KBs. They were definitely more expensive last time I checked.

Muscle Driver is also a good place to check out for GS style KBs
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Pat McElhone

Where do you live? Many Fitness stores carry Body Solid KBs. I have paid between $1-$1.2/lb for these bells. In Chicago area, they are sold by Fitness Factory Outlet. Some of these bells are very, very good in quality (as good as Dragon Door's), other not so good (rough finish, handles too large for the bell). If you can avoid mail order, you will save a ton in shipping and ensure the bell is a good one before buying it.

I recommend you buy the book Enter the Kettlebell. It is a very good resource and a good starting point. Buy a 35lb bell and swing it, snatch it, clean and jerk it. If after that you really, really love it, the buy competition bells as you collection grows. But, you can get a lot of training out of 35lb bell. Good luck.
Pat McElhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #6
Mike Kerce

thanks to all who gave feedback. i'm checking out all the sites you posted.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Gary Ohm

Great advice so far. Check out http://thekettlebellking.myshopify.com/ as well. Bert is the owner and is great to deal with. His prices are less than $1 a pound with very reasonable shipping. I don't get a commission, but tell him hi for me anyway.
Gary Ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ripley View Post
And for gods sake keep the swings shoulder height or lower.
Why the antipathy towards these? Seriously. Is it just the association with CrossFit? I've seen Dan John say why don't you just snatch? Why can't you do both?

I always did DB swings to overhead (and still do). I've never seen Ross Enamait challenged for promoting this. When I bought kettlebells I just carried on with this style. I read an article by Glassman wanking off about the increase power output of the American Swing and how it maximised the Tanqueray to Watts Metric and that almost put me off doing them but in 4 years I've never had any injuries or even suggestion of pain.

I'm curious, not playing devil's advocate.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

Nothing to do with CF but I don't like swings above head/shoulder height either. Especially for people that aren't even familiar with swings to begin with.

I can't look at videos here at work but from what I recall I thought Ross E. only goes up to shoulder height for swings as well?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
James Evans

Above head as far as I'm aware and he favours one hand swings. I lean towards DBs for one hand swings because of this.

If I'm teaching DB swings I just encourage the learner to swing as high as they find comfortable. Some people go to overhead naturally, some to chest height, some to eye level.