Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
Donald Lee

I also enjoyed the article.

The one thing I have grown to dislike about bodyweight training is the difficulty in measuring and making incremental progressions in strength without having to manipulate volume. I like sticking to set reps per set. But, I used to dislike microloading with weight lifting, and now I love it, so maybe some day I'll re-appreciate the way you have to progress with bodyweight training.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
Grissim Connery

yeah i have a love-hate relationship with bodyweight progressions. it makes progress seem more real in the sense that if somebody can deadlift 50 more pounds than me, it doesn't seem like a huge deal. on the other hand if somebody can full planche and i can only tuck planche or straddle planche, then the difference seems more profound.

making real progress also seems more like a random holiday when doing bodyweight stuff. with bar work, you can be close to something and then just brute strength it out and get a new PR. with bodyweight, it's like doing elementry school math forever, and then all the sudden you can do calculus out of nowhere. it's just a painful patience game.

i think the only reason i can deal with it now is just knowing that at some point, it will happen. it was like the first static handstand or muscle up day. "oh shit, i did it! woah!"
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #13
Garrett Smith

Speaking of bodyweight training, has anyone here perused the new "Convict Conditioning"?
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I also enjoyed the article.

The one thing I have grown to dislike about bodyweight training is the difficulty in measuring and making incremental progressions in strength without having to manipulate volume. I like sticking to set reps per set. But, I used to dislike microloading with weight lifting, and now I love it, so maybe some day I'll re-appreciate the way you have to progress with bodyweight training.
Yeah, I agree.

There are exercises like pullups/dips were you can load. Same with things like hanging leg raises and such...

but mostly it's just "feeling" it as the exercises get easier. That's one of the things I don't like as much -- you don't get the sense of progress as you do with weights at least directly.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Speaking of bodyweight training, has anyone here perused the new "Convict Conditioning"?
Hmm, looking at the chapter/page list I guess it looks OK...

http://www.dragondoor.com/b41.html
Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
Grissim Connery

i originally didn't look at convict conditioning because i thought the name was stupid (a little too tough guy sounding). after looking throught the chapters i really do wanna take a look.

i really wanna see the bridge progressions. i've always wanted to do some of this stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZJwMpvJiYM
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #17
Blair Lowe

Nice article, Steve. I really liked the fact it summed up a lot of things. Ho-hum, I am tired. Blame the tri-tip.

The Convict Conditioning looks interesting as it popped up on GymnasticBodies. That and the Dinosaur conditioning are more involved works besides GB as to BW conditioning. More so than Pavel's elementary stuff (the opposite arm/leg pushup and pistol).

Steve, thoughts on straddle-L work? Currently I focus on straddle-L work instead of the basic manna progressions because my straddle-L sucks so much that I never thought I could get much out of the beginning manna progressions using straddle-L. Do you think I should continue this or split time between straddle-L and manna. Yes, I am using myself as a test dummy in my programming for my guys. Do you think I should concentrate on straddle-L with them till it's satisfactory or split time with it (straddle-L/manna). I could either do 30s of each or alternate days of it. We are almost out of season and preparing to go into off-season.

Grissim, Ido Portal has some interesting progressions on bridging on the wall over on his site. I found the first half of those bridging progressions to be in what we work beginners or advanced beginners in our rec or developmental gymnastics class.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 AM   #18
Steven Low
Super Moderator

1. Work on compression for L-sit and straddle-L everyday. After a couple months in.. everyone can handle this.

2. L-sits/straddle-L 60s for the skill work every 3-4 days. Once they can do either in one set that's great... then maybe go for the 90 or 120s.

3. Start integrating manna at the MSH variation once you have a sufficiently developed straddle hold. I don't like starting it before then because you need more equipment, and people will try to get ahead of themselves.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
Donald Lee

So, out of nowhere, I was able to do the BL pretty easily today. After I solidify the BL, what else should I start working on? I'm already working on FL and Planche.
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
So, out of nowhere, I was able to do the BL pretty easily today. After I solidify the BL, what else should I start working on? I'm already working on FL and Planche.
Do you have rings?

If you want to be serious about bodyweight training there's always manna.

Handstand variations of course...

And as always iron cross. I usually suggest people first get both back lever and front lever before starting cross, and do some sufficient elbow preparation work. Coach Sommer's bulgarian dips are good as well as taking planche and strap assisted handstand/HSPU to the rings.