Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #21
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Will Heffernan, who owns/operates Informed Performance in Dublin, said something like this: "I don't know how these guys can make multi-disk DVD sets, write blogs and books, and keep answering questions on their paid forums. I have barely enough time to keep on top of my athletes' training and my own training."

With the huge upsurge in hiring assistance to put together material (as per Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week) I often wonder if any given guru's material is indeed their material, or the product of someone else and then given the guru's stamp of approval.
Get a group of professional million dollar athletes/actors as clients....train them a couple hours a day...charge them $300/hr and you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want. Or only train large groups like 15+ kids in some huge circuit for an hour charging them all $30/hr (paid for by parents or school).

Something tells Mike Boyle and other guys like him out there such as Juan Carlos Santana who pump out DVDs/seminars...their gyms are empty most of the day, and they are not doing the non-superstar 1-on-1 training, some dude getting paid $15/hr is. All the huge sport specific places here in Atlanta are typically dead until school lets out.

The more info/DVDs you put out ----> the more people assume you are an expert -----> the more you charge -----> gives you time to put out more DVDs ----> and the cycle continues on and on until you are a trainer on the biggest loser and have peaked.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #22
Jay Ashman

Regarding the trap bar statement he made....

the trap bar is great as an assistance lift to either deads or squats but not the "best" lift for lower body. Deadlifts create more power, squats create more overall leg power. Trap bar deads have your legs in a higher than parallel position and thus can't mimic a squat, and it isn't a true deadlift because you are essentially squatting from the floor.

I like trap bars for kids and young athletes because it is far easier to teach them first on that then move to proper deadlifts than start from the DL immediately. After a few weeks with that we usually move to deads and the learning curve is easier.

This is all my opinion so don't mind me.

As far as Boyle goes, I respect his knowledge but he is a marketer, bigtime and that is obvious...

Mike:
Quote:
Or only train large groups like 15+ kids in some huge circuit for an hour charging them all $30/hr (paid for by parents or school).
That is what I do on the weekends. Every Saturday I take two groups of young FB players out and drill them to get ready for camp. Its amazing how competitive parents are with youth sports.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #23
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
wait, what? grammar caught me there
very likely i was drunk when i wrote that.

what i meant to say is this. I want to agree with Boyle specifically when he took on the back squat as holy grail in S&C. I know a lot of really really strong guys with high mileage knees who have dropped squatting in favor of other things and do quite well. I've gone months front squatting only and watched my other lifts go crazy...and I'm a shitty front squatter for my size. I know a number of masters strongmen who will only back squat from a box and with chains and bands and these are guys who are putting 300 overhead for reps, running with 7-800 pound yokes so you can't exactly call them weak.

OTOH, I've never seen a person who banged out sets of 5 on the back squat @ 405 who wasn't all around pretty strong. so i could be wrong about the squat. ymmv.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #24
Derek Weaver

I think that most people have a problem with Boyle because of his view on the back squat. I admit that I'm intrigued by the "bilateral deficit", but don't really know where I stand.

Regarding him being a marketer. Yeah, he is. He's found a way to make a nice living in addition to what I'm guessing is a well paying job at BU.

However, as I said before, he's gotten results with his athletes. Making a blanket statement about the trap bar being the best bilateral exercise is kinda stupid, because like Shaf said, "for what?". With your average, uncoordinated high schooler or immobile desk jockey, it's a great compromise between the squat and deadlift. For the competitive lifter, not so much.

His client base isn't PL or Oly men and women though.

I know that I tend to come off as a Boyle apologist, which isn't the case. I do think that he's got a lot of good stuff that people tend to brush off because of the delivery and his business model.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #25
Allen Yeh

Controversial, yep. Someone can be controversial and still know what they are talking about in certain aspects though right? Just look at a recent blowup with Lyle Mcdonald, does that make the information he had put out any less valid? Maybe less...palptable but not less valid.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM   #26
Brian DeGennaro

Controversy gets more people reading about him.

Nothing against Boyle at all myself, just a few raised eyebrows. You can't always agree with EVERYTHING people say, don't want to become a sheeple.
Brian DeGennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #27
John Kimbrough

thanks for the link. Another intersting read
John Kimbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #28
Blake Barnes

Quote:
Will Heffernan, who owns/operates Informed Performance in Dublin, said something like this: "I don't know how these guys can make multi-disk DVD sets, write blogs and books, and keep answering questions on their paid forums. I have barely enough time to keep on top of my athletes' training and my own training."

With the huge upsurge in hiring assistance to put together material (as per Ferris' 4 Hour Work Week) I often wonder if any given guru's material is indeed their material, or the product of someone else and then given the guru's stamp of approval.
Quote:
There's a whole lot of crap associated with Boyle. I view him more as a marketer than anything else at this point.

These pretty much sum it up. I think you have to take everything that guy says with a grain of salt. Especially if you watch this video. If I remember correctly, he later went back to [bilateral] Squats and decided they were ok to do (maybe it was when his athletes were losing a lot of strength?).