Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
Jeremy Jones

There is nothing more American than the use of the TM and (C).

God Bless America.TM
Old 11-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #12
Danny John

Yes, and now I see that Gary Valentine is being attacked for disagreeing with not agreeing with the general agreement that we all should agree with everything that is everything.

I should have warned Gary about posting...

I also invented the Flying Hungarian Double Leg Tricep Twist...but no one ever calls me out on that. (Trademark)
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:59 AM   #13
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post

I also invented the Flying Hungarian Double Leg Tricep Twist...but no one ever calls me out on that. (Trademark)
I think I've seen that on the WWE.....

In regard to the attacks...I think Jerry is being defensive of his "people" not saying right or wrong but enough about drama and onto questions on the actual exercise.

What do you think of the points being brought up about the goblet squat? I really liked how simple it was when you taught it to our class in DC in January and I've since then passed on the knowledge in an effort to teach people how to squat. In your experience with your HS'ers and athletes is what Gary Valentine says about the promoting slumping and/or thoracic kyphosis? I guess I haven't used them with people in a large number setting so I've never noticed any problems in that regard?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #14
Danny John

Gary's point might be valid...but who are we kidding? The issue with squats is the hips and the depth and the bar and the...

I can fix Gary's point when I hand you the PVC.

Whenever I visit the forum (the "other" one)...usually when someone mentions that I was mentioned...I miss what once was...

Lots of quality people don't go there anymore and the fun people...Shaf...have been banned. I am still mentioned as a moderator in one section...which is funny: I don't believe in moderation. It is like lukewarm tea. Revelation even takes a shot at it!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #15
Will Tagye

Hey Dan! It is good to see your name and Goblet Squats together. In fact after you showed us those in DC I use them quite often.

Multiple rounds of goblet quats mixed with sprints and swings as you have suggested is a great workout.

If you really want to be nasty you can do B2B Tabata goblet squats. But of course that is just plain mean and I would never do such a thing.

-Will
Will Tagye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
Robb Wolf

We use Goblets and "sack of potatoes" On a daily basis to help reinforce various elements of both the squat, DL and the OL’s. They are simple and they work.

I think the topic of "when to say when" with regards to allowing form deterioration in a session is very interesting. John Davies (renegade training) Charles Poliquin as a short list insist on PERFECT technique, even in met-con sessions. Personally I think you want to achieve as much output with as perfect of form as possible. The argument that great adapations lie even in the compromised form arena may be true but would output a year, five years and 20 years down the road be even better if movements are curtailed when form degrades past a given point? Not sure and this is the stuff of epic pissing matches but I think it's a very interesting and important point for anyone coaching or training people. Pushing someone to create form deterioration can be instructive and an important part of training. Making deteriorating form THE point of training (faster times, greater loads…) I have not found to be particularly helpful.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #17
Greg Everett
Administrator

i concur with my esteemed colleague... I have yet to be impressed with any products of deteriorating form for the sake of shaving a few seconds off of a metabolic workout. those with well developed technique (in particular the o-lifts and variations) are able to push the metCon way further than anyone who goes the other route, i.e. push the metCon and then develop the form. Long term repetition of shitty form just further engrains those motor patterns, which then become habits to UNlearn before you can learn the right ones. Seems to me learning them first, and getting them squared away before dropping them into a high-fatigure situation is wise.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 PM   #18
Steve Shafley

That place was dead, anyway.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #19
Danny John

Shaf, in the immortal words of John Belushi in Animal House:

"It ain't over until I say it is over."

I gave it the nine months that my therapist (Gary/Rev GJ) told me to give it.

It will be subtle. But ugly...