Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 05-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #631
Kevin Perry

5/7

DJ's Complex A w/ 45# 3 x 8
Row
Clean
F. Squat
Press
B. Squat
G. Morning

Suuuucked I was sweating balls

Ended with Arms and Abs today.

Oh yea, also did more work on the landscape project at home this morning so lots of hauling around heavy ass bags of egg rock again.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #632
Kevin Perry

5/10

Squat: 45 x 2 x 8, 155 x 6, 185 x 4, 225 x 2, 255 x 3 x 6
Lunges: 45 x 3 x 8
G. Mornings: 110 x 3 x 10

Hmm rough one. I was thinking based on my new energy requirements this will be a rough cycle and I'm not certain If im willing to risk injury or overtraining. I am very pleased with how strong I've gotten and for a summer cut sticking with 5 3 1 may not be a bad idea so this week I may slide into a 3's week based on the last couple of weeks.

Sometimes you get that guilt trip on programing but monthly progression will likely be better on a cut with better recovery rather than kicking your own ass week to week to make reps. An issue I saw immediately with Max-Ot is not being entirely certain of where to choose a weight for 4 - 6 reps since there are no percentages and I've grown accustomed to knowing what weight I will be doing as I believe it gets me more psychologically amped.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #633
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Perry View Post
Sometimes you get that guilt trip on programing but monthly progression will likely be better on a cut with better recovery rather than kicking your own ass week to week to make reps. An issue I saw immediately with Max-Ot is not being entirely certain of where to choose a weight for 4 - 6 reps since there are no percentages and I've grown accustomed to knowing what weight I will be doing as I believe it gets me more psychologically amped.
Good point on the percentages. I built the excel spreadsheet described in the book and print out a month at a time. It is hanging in my garage and I know in advance exactly what it takes to get through a workout.

Nice job on the presses last week. That was some solid numbers.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #634
Derek Weaver

yeah, since Max-OT is more of a bodybuilding thing you're going to autoregulate a bit more.

With 5/3/1, you've obviously got % of 1rm, with Max-OT, you go with what's working and grip it and rip it for those 4-6 reps over however many sets are working for you. If I remember that was like 4-6 x 4-6 sets?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #635
Kevin Perry

Yea it was 4 - 6 reps but only 1 - 2 sets on most exercises, 3 sets for squats and that was about it. I kept looking it over and I did not want to stick with 4 - 6 reps for assistance work.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #636
Kevin Perry

5/11

Bench: 45 x 2 x 8, 115 x 6, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 10, 205 x 2, 215 x 2
DB Incline: 50 x 3 x 10, 10, 8
Dips: 45 x 10, 10, 8

A couple buddies wanted to see me go over 200 today so I figured why not might be good for confidence. First time I hit 205 and 215 which was actually surprising considering the 185 x 10 tired me pretty good.

I need to start doing some conditioning. Was gonna hit the hill sprints today but it was too wet outside and raining this morning. And since school is done for the semester I got some buddies at CF upstate wanting me to do stuff over there with them now that im not constantly busy. I'm a little hesitant to do any CF type stuff for fear of extreme muscle loss, the white buffalo in the sky, and incompatible programming for my current goals.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 AM   #637
Allen Yeh

At least you have hills near you...I think by me the closest thing is the on ramp for the interstate!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #638
Kevin Perry

True, Charleston is really flat isn't it?

5/12

no heavy lifting today did some light metcon

light "franish" workout

21 - 15 - 9
75# Thrusters and Pull-ups
200m run after each round
10 minutes of jump rope

didn't aim to push too hard or time it, just wanted to break a sweat and get some conditioning in.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #639
Kevin Perry

5/13

I wish I had a video of the massive PR I hit today but I had plenty of witnesses and maybe next week if I try it again I'll see if I can get someone to record it.

Deadlift: 135 x 6, 185 x 6, 225 x 5, 260 x 3, 295 x 3, 335 x 6, 405 x 3!!
BB Row: 135 x 3 x 8
T-Bar: 115 x 3 x 8
Pulldowns: 135 x 3 x 8

wanted to really challenge myself cause I've been trying to hit 405 every couple of weeks for a rep, finally hit it today for not 1 but 3 reps! Awesome feeling, I think I had no choice but to hit it since everyone was watching me to see if I would get the lift.

The amazing thing is I did this on less calories.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #640
Allen Yeh

Damn man!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote