Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Jay Ashman

Steve, you got that right... I have the Magnificent Mobility video and its a godsend.

you can't go wrong with Cressey at all... in fact I use his stuff a lot for reference.
Jay Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Allen Yeh

On the topic....

http://ericcressey.com/is-pitching-v...that-important
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
William McDaniel

A lot of good responses already so I will try not to cover what's already been said. Throwing for a pitcher and throwing for a position player are two related, but different skills. A pitcher is throwing the exact same distance, from the exact same position, with the exact same mechanics every time. His goal is pin point accuracy, repetitive motion, and deception. A position player throws from an almost infinite number of distances from a wide variety positions and usually on the move. His goal is general accuracy and a quick release. Think of it this way, a pitcher is like a cannon a position player is like a quarterback.

Since the OP was asking about a position player I will refer my answer to that type of throwing. Overhead pressing, although not harmful, is still only marginally helpful. Throwing hard is a result of power in the legs and hips being transferred into the whipping action of the arm. If a position player wants to increase his arm strength he should focus on powerful legs and hips and a supple and durable shoulder. This means squat, deadlift, power clean, presses, and shoulder mobility work.

In addition to this, he must train his ability to repeat the proper throwing motion every time from a wide variety of stances. This means many hours of the following: throwing from one knee, long toss, and lots of infield and outfield practice. Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
Chance Adams

I have a little experience with strength & conditioning for baseball. My younger brother was drafted out of HS by the Royals last summer. He's an outfielder. Anyway, like many have mentioned before any lifts that promote hip drive/leg&core strength are good for baseball players. For throwing though, you have to get your arm in shape. All the shoulder/bench/etc. work will not help much if you don't throw. We would go through 45 minute throwing sessions a few times per week during off-season. Start just by throwing short distances and gradually work out to long toss (as far as possible while still able to reach a target) then throw at that distance for a few minutes. From long distances, it's natural for most players to put quite a bit of arch on the ball, that's fine. After a few minutes of toss at a close to max distance, gradually work your way back to a short distance (90 ft or so). This is where all the work comes in. Try to keep the same velocity on the ball that you were applying from the longer distances but work on releasing the ball later in the movement. Think of "pulling" the ball down from the release point of a max distance throw, to allow for accuracy and less arch on each throw as the distance decreases. This really helped my brother. He didn't pitch much but it also increased his mound speed by a consistent 7-8 mph.

Lengthy explanation. I hope it helped.
Chance Adams is offline   Reply With Quote