Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #21
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
I like the idea. I get what he's saying about physiological assessments vs. subjective self-assessments. When I incorporated a HR monitor into mountain bike training, my results improved drastically (perceived stress had little to do with actual HR stress).

I'm making my way through Jamieson's stuff right now. I have received his newsletter for quite some time. One of my staples is now doing one of Dan John's complexes (for 5x8, ascending weight) and HRIs on the prowler.

I look forward to seeing more of this.
The power meter is more accurate for tracking progress in mountain biking than a HR monitor. Power meters are ridiculously expensive, so a Garman Forerunner with GPS and HR monitor capabilities would be the best option for a fitness junkie. HR can vary from day to day, time of day, environmental temperature, etc.

I wanted to get a Garman Forerunner, but after dropping out of the military, I realized I have no interest in running, biking, or any other form of endurance, except for some light cardio benefits.

If you're just looking at the heart benefits, a HR monitor is fine, but for performance, I think something with GPS is better.

Also, there's an iPhone app that can be used with your heart rate strap to monitor heart rate variability, which can be a good indicator of stress levels. It's not likely to be accurate, because the higher end heart rate monitors that track heart rate variability have different heart rate straps, but it seems to be reliable enough to track the variances from day to day. In other words, you can probably use it to determine whether you should go light or heavy on a certain day.

http://www.myithlete.com/
Donald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 AM   #22
Ryan Hagenbuch

I have a Garmin 305 Forerunner and love it. I don't bike, but they sell an attachment for the bike to calculate distance, calorie expenditure, etc. Definitely worth it to track progress if you do enough endurance work .
Ryan Hagenbuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Donald Lee

http://www.reactivetrainingsystems.c..._id=4&vmcchk=1

TRAC is out.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:56 PM   #24
Garrett Smith

Donald,
Do you know if this is applicable to other strength training pursuits other than PL? Sorry if I missed the answer earlier....
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Donald,
Do you know if this is applicable to other strength training pursuits other than PL? Sorry if I missed the answer earlier....
No idea.

The training generator may not be, but I'm sure TRAC can be used for anything. I was trying to find that out myself. I purchased Team RTS because the first month is free, but for some reason, my order got cancelled.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #26
Donald Lee

It's been fixed. I'm messing around with the Training Generator right now.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #27
Ian McLeish

Hey Donald, how are you liking the TRAC system so far? I purchased it last night and did my first test this morning. Like you , i figured I had nothing to lose since the first month is free.

Also, are you using a HR monitor for the morning HR test or are you counting a pulse?
Ian McLeish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
Donald Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian McLeish View Post
Hey Donald, how are you liking the TRAC system so far? I purchased it last night and did my first test this morning. Like you , i figured I had nothing to lose since the first month is free.

Also, are you using a HR monitor for the morning HR test or are you counting a pulse?
I'm using the HR monitor.

I don't know how it works, but it seems to be very accurate so far. I haven't been able to work out too much in the past couple weeks because of school and irregular sleep. Usually, my CNS and ANS indicators are all right because I have not been able to workout often, but through the heartrate readings, it tells me that I have high stress levels. I also enjoy the training recommendations based on the TRAC results. It'll tell you stuff like, 'continue training normally,' 'if you have a workout scheduled for today, consider moving it back,' 'do some light 10-15 minute cardio,' 'take some extra B vitamins,' 'consider lowering the volume if you have a training session today,' etc.

It also has a graph with all the trends in your stress level, ANS balance, and CNS level.

It's also a great check to your ego. You might feel good enough to do a full workout, but it'll probably have negatives effects the next day and the day after if the TRAC tells you to lay off. I actually sort of had that happen. I recorded a level 10 for stress levels that day, so I probably shouldn't have worked out at all. But I got to get in workouts when I can nowadays, and I felt surprisingly good for not sleeping too much. I ended up having to drastically lower the volume of the workout though, because I just didn't have as much as I thought.

I'd also like to add that it's interesting how stress levels don't always correlate with your readings on the ANS balance and CNS levels. If I get my life/school/study habits in order soon, I'll update more on how my training and using TRAC are coming along.

Edit: If you're looking into a HR monitor, I recommend the Polar RS 100. It has multiple functions. It has a timer, stop watch, and most of the heart rate functions you'll need. The only major negative is that it doesn't store multiple data sets, so you have to memorize or write down a data set before using it again.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Donald Lee

Also, I tried using the Training Generator, but it has a lot of technical bugs, and it's very clunky. I tried probably 10+ times to get it to work, but with so many individual paramters to fill out and without a good editing feature to go back and make changes, it is basically unworkable. It's very hard to understand all the programming terms and organization on there, too. The Training Generator makes you organize every little detail of your training. It's like you're playing chess in organizing your training.

Like I said earlier, one of the problems is, with all the complication, you have to be able to edit and make changes as you learn how to work it, but it has glitches and is clunky in the exercise selection/assignment area. For example, it might have a slot for Deadlift Supplemental High or Low Supplemental, but you might want to use 2 different exercises for that per week. It won't let you do that even if you have Deadlift Supplemental assigned for twice per week, because it only lets you have 1 exercise per type of exercise. You could work around it if it gave you another option like Deadlift Supplemental 2, but most of them don't have that option.

Basically, the Training Generator is unworkable as it stands. If anybody can get it to work without Mike Tuscherer's help, I'd be very surprised. After failing for about 3 hours or so, I finally realized I could do almost the same thing by hand. The Training Generator's only useful when you're changing training stress and intensity and volume every single week. You just put in those parameters, and it'll give you reps per set, goal RPEs, intensity (i.e., 80-85% 1-RM), etc. In the training manual, Mike tells you basics. Then, he tells you another step and tells you when to start implementing it. Then, he tells you another step and tells you when to start implementing that, and so on. In the Training Generator, he puts everything in that he has in the manual and more, and he doesn't give you an option of utilizing some parts or all of it. You have to use it all. You could just choose like medium stress every week and 80-85% 1-RM every week or something like that to get around the complexity, but you still have to click on every little box.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #30
Ian McLeish

Yeah, I have some type of polar HR monitor, not sure what model though. I felt like the HR numbers were dropping pretty bad when i was laying down and I seem to remember that was a problem with them, was that laying down gave an inaccurate reading. my #s were 58, 108, 90 and 77. seemed all over the place. Not sure what that means, but i did a workout today since TRAC doesn't start working for like a week.

The only thing that scares me is that i am like you and in school and can't workout some days, so i'm hoping that it's not gonna end up putting me in the gym 1-2 days/week. I'm afraid of opeining up a can of worms, but i'll give it a shot to see how it works. I'm coming off a bout w/ adrenal fatigue, so i figure it could be a HUGE help....

thanks for the reply...
Ian McLeish is offline   Reply With Quote