Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Andrew Lyons-Berg

Angry hurt shoulder snatching

hey so a couple of days ago I was snatching and I guess I hurt my shoulder. I didn't notice any particular moment where i did it, but after the workout it started feeling weird, like i had tweaked it or something. When I went to lift the next day I noticed significant pain while doing overhead squats. I took a couple of days off and I thought I was feeling better, but today i tried to train and the pain was back.

It doesn't hurt when I'm pulling, or when I'm pushing downwards--i can do dips fine--but only when I'm lifting or supporting overhead. I can also feel it when I reach back behind me, like to grab the seatbelt of the drivers seat to put it on. I'm really not sure, but I think it feels less like a muscle thing than something joint-related. I've been icing and I plan to lay off the movements that aggravate it for a while, but I'm wondering whether I might need to do something more. Any ideas about what I've done to myself?

Thanks a lot
Andrew Lyons-Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Dig in with your fingers around the shoulder and feel for any tight spots.

Likely, tweaked one ofyour rotator cuff mucles... possibly subscap or supraspinatus. Loosen everything up.. don't forget to check a bit into the arm, chest and around the scap as wll.

Note any tightness you have with a marked google image.

Any other shoulder articulations hurt?

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html
Old 06-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Andrew Lyons-Berg

Thanks for your quick reply, Steven.

The area with the most noticeable tightness and soreness is on the back of the shoulder; I've tried to indicate the where it is on the picture that should be below here.

Also, I found the movement that seems to irritate it the most, but I'm not sure how to classify it based on the list of articulations you posted. It's the rotational movement that brings the lower arm from pointing down to pointing up, with the upper arm parallel to the floor. I guess its basically the motion involved in a muscle snatch. This video shows it way more clearly than I can explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE-so...eature=related

Thanks so much for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shoulder_anatomy_muscles01.jpg (67.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Likely infraspinatus.. based on what you said. Then looking at the photo I'd say that confirms it.

Try to loosen it up wiht some massage. You can ice if you want... may want to try heat if it helps too.

Move it as much as possible WITHOUT aggravatign it./ Wil help keep you from losing mobility

If you're taking anti-inflams that's fine too.

Stay off of exercise on that shoulder it hurts. Once it starts improving work some rotator cuff work in.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Andrew Lyons-Berg

thanks a lot Steven, this has been really helpful.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Josh Ferguson

I hurt my shoulder a week after my first lesson at Mike's Gym. Now it catches when I try to hit the overhead squat position. My trainer suspects a torn labrum, doctor will confirm tomorrow.

Does anyone out there with labral tears still Snatch? It really doesn't affect my press or jerk, but I wanted to be able to snatch more than my bodyweight eventually.

Last edited by Josh Ferguson : 07-08-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling error
Josh Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ferguson View Post
I hurt my shoulder a week after my first lesson at Mike's Gym. Now it catches when I try to hit the overhead squat position. My trainer suspects a torn labrum, doctor will confirm tomorrow.

Does anyone out there with labral tears still Snatch? It really doesn't affect my press or jerk, but I wanted to be able to snatch more than my bodyweight eventually.
Catching is indeed indicative of torn labrum.

Depending on the extent of the damage you may require surgery. After repair you should be good to go.... within 8-12 months.

If you don't get it repaired based on the problems you are having now you may have trouble snatching for the rest of your life... but it's possible it may go away.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Josh Ferguson

Doctor says not torn but that I have supraspinatus impingement. Can you say resistance bands?

Apparently my shoulder is clicking and popping, not clunking. I'm psyched that there's nothing indicating surgery at this point, but it sucks to be told to take it easy as I am making the best gains of my life at this point.
Josh Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Nicolas Gonthier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Ferguson View Post
Doctor says not torn but that I have supraspinatus impingement. Can you say resistance bands?

Apparently my shoulder is clicking and popping, not clunking. I'm psyched that there's nothing indicating surgery at this point, but it sucks to be told to take it easy as I am making the best gains of my life at this point.

You are not alone. Me too i got the same same thing
Nicolas Gonthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Work on mobility (non-painful), anti-inflammatory, massage if it helps, and ice if it helps.

As it improves work start to add in rotator cuff exercises, then isolation and then your compounds. Should take a week or two between the adding in of more exercises.

roll your t-spine and work on loosening up your muscles with massage.