Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #31
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
I really waffle between agreeing with Gant and not giving a damn.
People arrive here right before they hit rock bottom. Things should be looking up for you soon.

Last edited by Gant Grimes; 07-20-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Gant Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #32
Grissim Connery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Thompson View Post
Dammit, this makes me as mad as the new Star Wars trilogy does (not the initial anger, the residual anger I still have to this day). WHY, GEORGE LUCAS, WHY? Fortunately, this will fade out of my consciousness quite soon, but I'm surprised it has gotten to me so much in the short term. I have a LOT of residual hatred for the new trilogy (and the changes to the old trilogy).
woah, woah, let's keep this civil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I really equate a snatch to something like a golf swing (with a crapload of weight). It is most important that it is done correctly and consistently. Take from that analogy what you will--and note I distinctly dislike golf for completely different reasons.
i'm curious about that reason. i don't really play them, but there's always been something fascinating to me about precision sports. the sheer fact that you can eat a cheeseburger during golf, bowling, darts, pool, etc. is something to be appreciated. i'm not sure on what level though...

Back to the main topic, i'm kinda waiting for a UFC effect to happen. if you think about when it first started, everybody came in with whatever fighting styles, and after some years it boiled down to just a few main ones dominating the scene.

although now it seems that the people who dominate have blended these main styles together, people most likely come from one primary background, whether it be boxing or wrestling or BJJ or blah blah.

The guys who normally seem the most ill-prepared are the guys who just "train MMA" without thoroughly learning one style first. this now seems like training for crossfit because you're kinda trying to learn everything without having any solid basis to begin with.

thus solid pro WL or an olympic gymnast could probably come a rip through much of the CF competitions, especially after getting some basis in less familiar skills. the big difference though between CF and the UFC though is that i think being the best weightlifter or best gymnast has way more appeal than being the best CFer. thus they would most likely not switch over. meanwhile, being the UFC champ may be more appealing than being the champ in some fighting styles. thus more guys would probably switch over.

That judo/wrestling/rugby girl is a beast.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #33
Danny Lehr

Default I'm for it

First I want to make clear that I am a CF gym owner. With that being said, I think this is a good thing for USA weightlifting. There will surely be a lot of people competing in this that just needed an extra little push. This will seem like a less threateing environment perhaps. One thing that CF gets knocked for by a lot of people is the elitist attitude that too many people in the community exude. I feel like the response by some in the weightlifting community is in that same vein. Also, from what I understand the membership numbers for USA weightlifting are under 10,000 total. If this is the case, an increase in members surely will not hurt. The meet will be a regular weightlifting meet, followed by a 10 minute crossfit WOD. If a lifter wanted to get some platform time in, they could do the snatch, c & j, and then bounce out...no hard feelings.

Now that I got all that out, I must admit that I plan on competing. I've wanted to compete in an weighlifting event for a while, it just hasn't worked out. This fits into my schedule, so with some pressure from outside folks I'm going to do it. I also plan on competing in some O lifting only meets in the future. I will also admit that it would be easy for a weightlifter to wreck house. With good numbers on the lifts, 10 weeks is more than enough time to get a decent met con base. I've taught double-unders to 53 year old women in 20 minutes, and with athleticism and strength a good kipping pull-up will come within days. Anyway, if anyone wants some advice on how to get prepped for the met-con in 30 minutes a week, just let me know. I'd love to share it but I don't think anyone else cares.
Danny Lehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM   #34
Joe Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
i'm curious about that reason. i don't really play them, but there's always been something fascinating to me about precision sports. the sheer fact that you can eat a cheeseburger during golf, bowling, darts, pool, etc. is something to be appreciated. i'm not sure on what level though...

This is where you have strayed...You drink an ASSLOAD (We all know that is more than a shitload) of beer while playing these sports.
Joe Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #35
John Warkala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post
i don't really play them, but there's always been something fascinating to me about precision sports. the sheer fact that you can eat a cheeseburger during golf, bowling, darts, pool, etc.
If you can eat a cheeseburger and drink a beer while competing, it's a game not a sport !
John Warkala is offline   Reply With Quote