Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default Helping girlfriend with time constraints

My girlfriend just started lawschool, so she wants to know how to workout in a shorter amount of time. she's lookin at about 3 days a week for 1 hour. for simplicity, i just told her a half hour of cardio (jump ropes and such), and a half hour of strength. one day a week, she's going to try to work out with me, so on that day i'll mix stuff up and give her a metcon or something.

anyways for strength, i taught her to DL and sidepress (inspired by "power to the people"). the DL came naturally. she did 135# on her first day (almost got 155#). i don't know strength numbers for girls, but i think that's pretty good. the side press has been shakier. i wondered if instead she should do pushup progressions.

my question is whether you guys think she should side press or do pushup prog. (approaching one arm pushup) for a bare essentials training schedule?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

What kind of equipment does she have access to? Is she in a commercial gym?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
Samuel Hughes

A couple of thoughts:

-3 days means probably a deadlift day, squat day, and a press day
-for time's sake, pick a rep scheme, maybe more reps for girls, and superset each lift with another exercise that is somewhat taxing (i.e press and burpees).
-superset 2-3 solid accessory lifts, focusing on antagonistic points of interest, be they strength or aesthetic. Complexes work too. This ends up being very similar to a short metcon.
-Cardio after

Hope this helps.

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
Dave Van Skike

teach her to squat. once that's under control, simple is best. density training, http://www.ironsports.tv/it_all.htm

Clean and Press/Squat. Max reps in 20 minutes, shooting for 50 total. If she feels like doing some chins or knee to elbow after each that's cool. perfect workout for an hour. She will get stronger and maybe bigger if she eats, fitter in a very real sense or anything that matters
Old 09-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Grissim Connery

she goes to a Bally's right now. i would like her to go the the school gym because it has a lot of OL platforms, but she just prefers the commercial gym atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Hughes View Post
A couple of thoughts:

-3 days means probably a deadlift day, squat day, and a press day
-for time's sake, pick a rep scheme, maybe more reps for girls, and superset each lift with another exercise that is somewhat taxing (i.e press and burpees).
-superset 2-3 solid accessory lifts, focusing on antagonistic points of interest, be they strength or aesthetic. Complexes work too. This ends up being very similar to a short metcon.
-Cardio after

Hope this helps.
her problem before was that she was doing every leg machine in the gym. i wanted to show her first that she can make improvements with little variety and cut down time as well by picking all encompasing motions. i figured it would be good to add supplemental exercises once an actual deficit has been found. in the meantime, i thought she should just develop a basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike View Post
teach her to squat. once that's under control, simple is best. density training, http://www.ironsports.tv/it_all.htm

Clean and Press/Squat. Max reps in 20 minutes, shooting for 50 total. If she feels like doing some chins or knee to elbow after each that's cool. perfect workout for an hour. She will get stronger and maybe bigger if she eats, fitter in a very real sense or anything that matters
i could see that sort of metcon for when i'm available to tell her to keep going. she's the kinda person who needs somebody to tell her to do it. otherwise, she'll probably have to stick with regular cardio when she's on her own.

i picked DL over squat b/c i thought it would be easier to teach and get moving along with. i'll see if she'd prefer the squat.

chins or KTE is a long shot from now. although she can do a full body pull well, her upper body pullng strength is surprisingly weak right now. body rows are pretty tough for her. i figured enough DL and she should eventually be able to hold a deadhang.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Dave Van Skike

don't confuse the above with a metcon. you will get stronger if you strart with about 70% weights. 20/40 works slightly better but i got my first 4 plate squat after a 5 weeks of that thing several years ago.

i'd want her to be a technically sound squatter but beyond that regarding template. simple wins everytime.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissim Connery View Post

her problem before was that she was doing every leg machine in the gym. i wanted to show her first that she can make improvements with little variety and cut down time as well by picking all encompasing motions. i figured it would be good to add supplemental exercises once an actual deficit has been found. in the meantime, i thought she should just develop a basis.

i could see that sort of metcon for when i'm available to tell her to keep going. she's the kinda person who needs somebody to tell her to do it. otherwise, she'll probably have to stick with regular cardio when she's on her own.

i picked DL over squat b/c i thought it would be easier to teach and get moving along with. i'll see if she'd prefer the squat.

chins or KTE is a long shot from now. although she can do a full body pull well, her upper body pullng strength is surprisingly weak right now. body rows are pretty tough for her. i figured enough DL and she should eventually be able to hold a deadhang.
I don't understand the bold. At least I don't think I do. Are you saying supplemental stuff once a strength/muscular imbalance is found? Or are you talking calories/body composition stuff?

If she goes to Bally's, they should have a Gravitron or whatever it is. The chin/pull up assist machine. Tell her to use it.

Like Samuel said:
Monday- Squat + assistance. That could be in the form of a circuit or super set or straight set stuff.

Wednesday Upper Pull or Push + Assistance (see above)

Friday - Deadlift + assist (see above). show her some circuit options she can use each day to fill in assistance.

Or like Dave said, Density training. It's not metabolic conditioning but can and often does have a similar effect. She doesn't need someone there to tell her to keep going. She just needs to set the timer for 20 minutes, keep track of work done. Aim to improve over time.

I have training ADD like a dork though, so easier said than done.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Squat, press, and pull every time in some form. If you want to add conditioning at the end, fine. Don't trick it up, and don't worry about progression. The first year of law school is not the time to try to teach her a bunch of crap. You'll be lucky if she keeps her three day commitment to this. If you can't write her entire program on a small sticky note, it's too much.

Bally's is fine. Off campus is a nice change for 1Ls.

Do like Dave said and teach her to squat. In fact, if every first year law student learned how to properly read a case and squat to depth, the profession and the world would be a better place.

Teach her basics that she'll stick with through 1L. Once she's a second year, you'll have more time to teach stuff.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #9
James Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post

Do like Dave said and teach her to squat. In fact, if every first year law student learned how to properly read a case and squat to depth, the profession and the world would be a better place.
Probably the best legal advice I've ever read.