Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Paleo Diet

Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #21
Chris Butler

I'm a 43yr. old, large, endurance athlete so my lifts are not impressive.

Currently I'm training with sandbags and stones, gym went out of business.

My macros at the time where Pro - 300gr./ Fat - 225gr./ CHO - 100-200gr. depending on activity level. Majority of my carbs were from fruit. Fats are animal sources and unrefined coconut oil.

Right now I'm working on getting to low single digit BF%
Pro - 350-400gr./ Fat 225 - 300gr./ CHO - Tues,Wed,Fri & Sat - 50gr/ Mon, Thurs - 150gr./ Sun < 30gr.
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Redzic View Post
From what I have read from other people dairy is the key.

If I do cultfit, do I have to remove my man bits?
Hahaha! No, no... no surgery required. Man bits just shrivel up, die, and fall off. The scary thing is that's closer to the truth than I'd like to admit.

Speaking of paleo eating, I just finished cooking up leg of lamb. Life is good.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #23
Dean Redzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Butler View Post
I'm a 43yr. old, large, endurance athlete so my lifts are not impressive.

Currently I'm training with sandbags and stones, gym went out of business.

My macros at the time where Pro - 300gr./ Fat - 225gr./ CHO - 100-200gr. depending on activity level. Majority of my carbs were from fruit. Fats are animal sources and unrefined coconut oil.

Right now I'm working on getting to low single digit BF%
Pro - 350-400gr./ Fat 225 - 300gr./ CHO - Tues,Wed,Fri & Sat - 50gr/ Mon, Thurs - 150gr./ Sun < 30gr.
Sort of like carb cycling? are the bigger CHO days training days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Hahaha! No, no... no surgery required. Man bits just shrivel up, die, and fall off. The scary thing is that's closer to the truth than I'd like to admit.

Speaking of paleo eating, I just finished cooking up leg of lamb. Life is good.
I have seen some strong CF guys though. There are a couple that I coach that clean over 220 and squat 500+ (Its not amazing, but it seems to be better then what I preconceived)
They are starting to realize the importance of maximal strength and not just doing metcons everyday.

I think I have made up in my mind that I will be doing 'the anabolic diet' but just using paleo choices. The carb up days might be a bit hard, but we will see!!!
Dean Redzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #24
Chris Butler

Quote:
Absolutely carb cycling.
Everyday is a training day of some kind except Sunday.

Good luck! It's worth it!
Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:09 AM   #25
Samuel Hughes

Keep us posted. I am interested to see how this works with someone your size

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #26
Steve Shafley

I asked Robb Wolf about this on his blog some time back.

Quote:
Dead simple:
1-Paleo, on the low-carb CKD side in general.
2-Add dairy as needed for significant muscle/weight gain.
3-some strategies to minimize any down sides of the dairy (fish oil, vit-d and the CKD)
4-some rubrics for figuring out what you are doing with both training and food. “I am here, want to get there…these are the steps I need to take.
5-Non-retarded programming. Nothing new under the sun, as you know, there is no magic or free lunch, but with the explosion in people doing training there is a dearth in basic programming knowledges.

I just found some studies the other day indicating gluten suppresses IGF response both from food and training. Could be some of the muscle wasting effects we see in celiac folks. Rutman’s son can lose 5-8lbs in a week from a gluten dose. they found this when Logan was 2.

The whole thing boils down to heal your gut for good absorption, eat an ungodly amount of food (if that’s what you need), control hormones like insulin as best your can, periodize your training (in the words of Dutch Lowy “have a fucking clue”)

That’s it. In many ways it’s an attempt to write a book that I’d actually want to read. Since I just make all this shit up anyway, I will have forgotten that material after I write it, so it will be a good read for me at least once it’s done!
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 PM   #27
Jarod Barker

Quote:

I have seen some strong CF guys though. There are a couple that I coach that clean over 220 and squat 500+ (Its not amazing, but it seems to be better then what I preconceived)
They are starting to realize the importance of maximal strength and not just doing metcons everyday.

I think I have made up in my mind that I will be doing 'the anabolic diet' but just using paleo choices. The carb up days might be a bit hard, but we will see!!!
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, there are some beasts in CF. I mean, they just had that olympic weightlifting competition in Colorado, and some of those guys put up numbers that are nationally competitive. I trained with a guy at a CF affiliate who was power cleaning over 400 pounds, often for reps, and could squat 500 for a set of 8 sending the bar airborne every rep. However, I think guys like that have the genetics to be strong on any program. His flexibility, proportions, and build in general were definitely factors in his strength. He was strong before CF, and he just kept getting stronger.

Just as you point out, the importance of maximal strength is sometimes overlooked in favor of metcons. This goes back to Coach Rut's Max Effort Black Box where absolute strength and metabolic conditioning are sort of in a balancing act. If I had complete control over my own programming and didn't have to follow a training program in order to prepare for a career, I would definitely follow Rut's MEBB.

As Steve listed Robb's diet suggestions, those sound just like what I was told at the CF Football Cert. Which really isn't a surprise since Robb and John Welbourn are good friends. And John is one big, strong dude. You have to see him in person to really appreciate his size.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #28
Steve Shafley

Yeah, in a phone conversation, Robb said that those are the guidelines Welbourn and he have come up with with regards to that topic.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:11 PM   #29
Dean Redzic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Yeah, in a phone conversation, Robb said that those are the guidelines Welbourn and he have come up with with regards to that topic.
Thanks so much for posting that.

I Guess I kind of came to that conclusion in the end (Anabolic diet being a CKD... isn't it?)

I dont understand how milk fits in on the non carb days, but the 2 days re-feed will be filled with milk and fruit...and if I am a good boy 1 snack
Dean Redzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #30
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Thanks so much for posting that.

I Guess I kind of came to that conclusion in the end (Anabolic diet being a CKD... isn't it?)

I dont understand how milk fits in on the non carb days, but the 2 days re-feed will be filled with milk and fruit...and if I am a good boy 1 snack
Non carb days you can always just load the whey protein. In fact, if you're really into the "paleo" diet and eating grass fed animals, you can get whey made from the milk of grass fed cows now from All Pro Science. Use CFFB as your coupon code and you'll get 20% off. Welbourn has had that link up on his website for a couple months now, I would expect it still works.