Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #11
Frank Needham

Here's what I've got to offer so far on my first visit to the Chiro for cold laser. Unfortunately, and because I was laying on a treatment table face down, I did not get the equipment manufacturer name nor was I able to get a good look at the laser. I did ask the mfr name but the guy only knew the model number and said it was a Model 880? First the chiro did the normal routine of "adjusting" me and seemed to find that satisfactory but I kept bugging him about the cold laser thing and what he knew about it. He didn't have much to say about it other than they don't use it that frequently. Because I bugged him about it he had one of the office assistants come in and apply the device to the affected area of my foot for about 10 minutes. There is no sensation at all of anything taking place. From what I could tell about the procedure this is something literally anyone could do to themselves if they had access to the laser. As for any noticeable effects from the first treatment all I can say is that my left heel area feels marginally better and I say that with hesitation because I'm always leery of the placebo effect when being treated for anything not quantifiable. I am going back on the 29th for another round and will report here on my progress, or lack thereof.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
Jarod Barker

Hmmm, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that cold laser had to be applied often. I have a friend who plays college ball and severely injured his shoulder. They used the cold laser on him every single day. I would suspect that consistent, repeat treatments would be necessary for any measurable reduction in healing time.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Frank Needham

I believe you are correct for ideal conditions. When there are other factors like a job, studying and family in the mix you just do what you can when you can.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
Garrett Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Hmmm, I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that cold laser had to be applied often. I have a friend who plays college ball and severely injured his shoulder. They used the cold laser on him every single day. I would suspect that consistent, repeat treatments would be necessary for any measurable reduction in healing time.
Yes. Absolute minimum guideline I give to patients to expect progress is 2 treatments a week.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
I believe you are correct for ideal conditions. When there are other factors like a job, studying and family in the mix you just do what you can when you can.
Believe me, I totally appreciate your position. That's all the better I could to either. It would be a struggle for me to match Dr. G's recommendation of 2 treatments per week. It's hard enough getting out of work early 1 day a week let alone twice. I'm just saying, I know that in the training room for college ball players, when they got injured they were required to check in everyday for their cold laser treatment. It is amazing to me the quality of medical treatment some college sports programs offer.

If money were no object, I'd have a TENS unit, ultrasound, and cold laser all in my home gym.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:29 AM   #16
Jarod Barker

Ok, I've done quite a bit more reading on these things, and some people claim you can burn yourself on the laser... but I've yet to see anyone state that they actually DID burn themselves.

If I go ahead and splurge on a vetrolaser, (the female says if I buy a laser she's buying a puppy... sounds fair to me hahaha), is the vetrolaser enough or are the acupunture laser and 6 light laser necessary too?

And it says to keep it away from the thyroid. I have some nasty costochondritis that flares up from time to time, and occasional neck pain, how far do you have to keep it from your thyroid?

In your practice, do you think it works better than ultrasound or any other alternative?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 AM   #17
Garrett Smith

The Vetrolaser is enough for most things that a layperson (ie. not educated in acupuncture) would need. I'm not experienced with their 6-light laser.

If you want to treat your neck, simply treat it from the posterior side, not from the front. Don't treat directly over the thyroid from the front.

I don't use ultrasound. For most things, I think US is a waste of time.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #18
Jarod Barker

Cool, thanks doc! I think I may go ahead and get one of these. Seems like a smart investment. I'd imagine a quality laser will last for years.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #19
Frank Needham

Yesterday was my second visit and of course the Chiro wanted to know if the CL improved things any. All I could say was it is too early to tell. Your mind plays tricks on you when you want to believe something is going to happen so even though the injury does feel a bit better it may not be from the CL but instead just staying off it. I'll give it 3-4 weeks of CL visits and then do a test run, maybe a tough hike or something like that to see how it feels after. Oh yeah, here's the CL this office uses: http://www.microlightcorp.com/products/ Pretty pricey stuff. If it does indeed work though I guess the $$ is worth it.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #20
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
Yesterday was my second visit and of course the Chiro wanted to know if the CL improved things any. All I could say was it is too early to tell. Your mind plays tricks on you when you want to believe something is going to happen so even though the injury does feel a bit better it may not be from the CL but instead just staying off it. I'll give it 3-4 weeks of CL visits and then do a test run, maybe a tough hike or something like that to see how it feels after. Oh yeah, here's the CL this office uses: http://www.microlightcorp.com/products/ Pretty pricey stuff. If it does indeed work though I guess the $$ is worth it.
Wow, that is expensive!