Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 10-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #51
Allen Yeh

I hate the couch stretch, so much. My left hip I cant even get my torso upright.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #52
Steve Shafley

Hah! I get one side opening up in the couch stretch, but the other side is tighter.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #53
Kyle Collins

Just started these. I had a ton of trouble just doing the first one, getting 10 minutes in the full squat. I had to do it in 30 second to 1 minute increments, My knees felt really stiff upon standing, and it kinda hurt a little bit being in the position. Not real pain, like stiff kinda pain. Balance wasn't a big issue, just generally really uncomfortable.

After doing the first 3 in a row, I felt like I was standing up straighter and walking with my torso further back.. if that makes any sense. Even measured myself because I was feeling taller.
Kyle Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:24 AM   #54
Chris Forbis

This one (the last one) is a cruel fucking joke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nWPeyDfNM

I can't even get close enough to the starting position to figure out what it is that is tight and needs to be worked on. This is the first time out of the first 26 episdoes that I have had this kind of issue with.

Does anybody have any suggestions on easier stretches I could start with and progress from?
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #55
Arien Malec

Issue #75:

Spewing humor, large amounts of pain, addresses a key problem. May just be the best MobilityWod yet.

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/2010...its-world.html
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #56
Mark Fenner

Just want to throw out: I've worked my way up to MobWOD #50. The shear amount you can learn if you pay attention to these (and aren't already an AT, PT, etc.) is amazing: both in "book" terms and in "personal" terms.

You definitely get a theory and a perspective with which to attack your issues.

You also log "a lot" (ok, some) time working on all your bits and finding out what's good, what's bad, and what's ugly. Yeah, that joint lock that went too far 10 years ago? Uh huh. That one. There you go, welcome back.

Also, I've found that the 2nd and 3rd times hitting some of the positions (esp. if they didn't feel "right" the first time around) have been very productive. There's definitely an "aha" that happens from hitting them again.

I think my biggest take away message is that the old martial arts warm-up, 10 second count method of stretching isn't what we should be doing.

Best,
Mark
Mark Fenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #57
Garrett Smith

I just had an interesting experience. The back of my left knee started giving me some grief in the last couple days. Did some basic topical stuff, NBD, some anti-inflammatory stuff, whatever, even started wearing my Kono knee sleeve a bit today (helps remind me to take it easy on the knee).

Then I thought about the upstream-downstream idea I got from the mWOD. I've been doing all the hamstring/quad/ITB/hip flexor stuff, so I was pretty sure above the knee wasn't the issue. I have a ton of "business" in my left calf, particularly on the medial side where I have torn it before. Just did a bunch of stretching, foam roll, lacrosse ball, and soft tissue work on the calf (since the other stuff didn't seem to be working).

I got up from the floor and I think I solved the problem for the time being. Sweet.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #58
Yael Grauer

Do these videos build on one another, or are they randomized CF style?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #59
Arien Malec

Neither, I think. Instead, there are a core set of movement patterns that KStar seems to hit in different ways over time. It's not "calves today, nose tomorrow", and not 15 different ways to address issue #1, followed by 15 different ways to address issue #2.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #60
Garrett Smith

I see no pattern. Some days it is oriented around the CF WOD, some days around how KStar is feeling, some days dealing with issues that people post questions on.

Definitely hitting common issues pretty often. T-spine extension, hip flexor stuff, calves, hams, etc.

Comparisons to CF mainpage, IMO:
  • The mWODs quickly got longer than the initially stated 10 min. (ie. "20 min. metcons", remember that?) in duration.
  • Seems about as pseudo-random as the mainpage CF WODs. The same or similar exercises keep popping up in different combinations.
  • No advice really provided about how to program this stuff in, so it keeps people somewhat dependent.
I find it useful so that I don't fall in a "comfort" rut, and I've taken pieces of it and changed some of the things I used to do in DeFranco's Agile 8 or Simple 6 in my warm-up prehab.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote