Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Endurance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #31
Shane Skowron
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Lance Armstrong is a great example. I hadn't thought of that. Arguably one of the best endurance athletes in the world, yet change the demand from cycling to running and he really struggled. It's not for lack of conditioning, it's lack of specificity.
I wouldn't say he struggled. He finished in under 3 hours with not a lot of training. Most people who finish under 3 hours usually have several years of consistent and competitive running under their belts before they manage that feat. He didn't come close to winning, but the point here is that he already had a huge advantage over other people who have no background in running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
In any case, Shane, didn't you run an ultramarathon at one point? I thought remembered seeing that on the NSC forum. How did you prepare for it? I'm assuming you didn't follow CFE, but I'm interested in what you found worked best.
I've done a bunch of ultramarathons, never DNF'd. I've done a 100 miler while following a strict CFE protocol and a 100 miler on my own training program, and I did better in the latter. Basically my running training consists of a long very slow run at ultramarathon pace, 1 long interval session, 1 short interval session, and sprinting session. Sometimes only 2 or 3 sessions per week. I wish I could run more but I have other training priorities.
Shane Skowron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #32
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I wouldn't say he struggled. He finished in under 3 hours with not a lot of training. Most people who finish under 3 hours usually have several years of consistent and competitive running under their belts before they manage that feat. He didn't come close to winning, but the point here is that he already had a huge advantage over other people who have no background in running.



I've done a bunch of ultramarathons, never DNF'd. I've done a 100 miler while following a strict CFE protocol and a 100 miler on my own training program, and I did better in the latter. Basically my running training consists of a long very slow run at ultramarathon pace, 1 long interval session, 1 short interval session, and sprinting session. Sometimes only 2 or 3 sessions per week. I wish I could run more but I have other training priorities.
Point taken on Lance. Compared to other people he did incredibly well, compared to Lance Armstrong the champion who everyone is used to seeing win, I guess it looks less than impressive by comparison to all his Tour de France performances.

I've never run an ultramarathon let alone a marathon, so I have no basis for comparison, but for the 3 mile run in Marine Corps PFT, I did find that LSD improved my time more than CFE. Following CFE only, I ran a 22:33, and following a program by Hal Higdon, I ran an 18:53. Perhaps this is because I was not used to setting a pace, or maybe it's because I just needed the mental preparation of running longer distances than 400m at a time. In your experience running much longer distances, what do you think is the reason your personal training program worked better than CFE? I realize that individualizing a program is always going to be superior to a general program, but I was wondering if maybe you found that the longer sessions or pace setting sessions had sort of "grease the groove" effect on your performance.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #33
Andrew Wilson
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Evans View Post
This must be 2 years old now but I stumbled across a link to it yesterday. I've really not taken too much notice of CrossFit Endurance other than seeing the DNF remarks on different sites.

Wow! What a humble guy...

http://gregbashore.wordpress.com/201...ance-training/

I particularly like the idea of of taking a world champion and completely changing the way he trains/who he is because you know better

Hmm, and you complete an Iron Man 2 hours slower than Chrissie Wellington but hey, what's her Fran time.
=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPpjURtM5OI wfs
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #34
Andrew Wilson
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 1,140
Default

Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #35
Matt Cricchio
Member
 
Matt Cricchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 245
Default

Strong work. But what, exactly, was the fucking point of all of that?
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #36
James Evans
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
About 16 seconds in - is that Glassman having the gin demon exorcised out of him?
__________________
The rationale for reduced gin intake and the knowledge of the perils of alcoholism and attendant metabolic derangement has almost entirely come from physicians and researchers.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #37
Jacob Rowell
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 389
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cricchio View Post
Strong work. But what, exactly, was the fucking point of all of that?
Can't imagine why you would expect this to have a point, stay on topic, or offer anything helpful.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #38
Derek Weaver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,642
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Cricchio View Post
Strong work. But what, exactly, was the fucking point of all of that?
Your standards and expectations are too high.
__________________
Quote:
And if you don't think kettleball squat cleans are difficult, I say, step up to the med-ball
- CJ Kim
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #39
Andrew Wilson
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 1,140
Default

You should show more respect to who you talk to on the internet, you may not know who you're talking to, I've trained two years under the CrossFit training methodology, which means I have elite fitness capcacities, unf*ckablewith, and know more than you. Screw the development of over 90 years of doctoral research of sports science, exercise science, exercise physiology, kiniesiology, and biomechanics, screw the span of 467 Olympic gold medals over 44 years, screw those people that can run a mile in 3:20, and those decathletes that can bench press 330 pounds, squat 600 pounds, powerclean 152kg for reps with a 44in standing vertical jump, and 10 second 100m and 3:40 mile at a bodyweight of 185 pounds, screw them; those people don't know what they're doing or talking about, its a joke and laughable. You see, they're specialists and have limited capacities across modal functional domains, this means nothing when the time comes to throw a log over a field, drag a tracker tire 50 feet with a crowbar, or carry a sand bag across a tennis court stadium because they don't train work capcacity and metabolic conditioning. A 10 second 100m sprinter can't do that, nor those decathletes, nor those 45 second 400m sprinters that can squat 600 pounds... but I can. I train across broad time and modal domains, I have 2 minute Grace with 135 pounds which means I can lift more bags of trash into a garbage truck faster than 98% of the human beings on this planet. Screw a 3:25 mile over 10,000m like those unfit olympic champions and their phd coaches that know pointless exercise science, they can't deadlift 700 pounds, therefore are useless in the REAL world, its better to run a 17 minute mile over a hundred miles and be able to snatch 150 pounds like me. Because of this, I'm a better athlete then them, fitter, stronger, higher quantity of mental toughness, and physically more experienced. So before you exercise challenge me on the intranet, do your research on who you are talking to, because you may run into the Achilles of fitness.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #40
Matt Cricchio
Member
 
Matt Cricchio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
You should show more respect to who you talk to on the internet, you may not know who you're talking to, I've trained two years under the CrossFit training methodology, which means I have elite fitness capcacities, unf*ckablewith, and know more than you. Screw the development of over 90 years of doctoral research of sports science, exercise science, exercise physiology, kiniesiology, and biomechanics, screw the span of 467 Olympic gold medals over 44 years, screw those people that can run a mile in 3:20, and those decathletes that can bench press 330 pounds, squat 600 pounds, powerclean 152kg for reps with a 44in standing vertical jump, and 10 second 100m and 3:40 mile at a bodyweight of 185 pounds, screw them; those people don't know what they're doing or talking about, its a joke and laughable. You see, they're specialists and have limited capacities across modal functional domains, this means nothing when the time comes to throw a log over a field, drag a tracker tire 50 feet with a crowbar, or carry a sand bag across a tennis court stadium because they don't train work capcacity and metabolic conditioning. A 10 second 100m sprinter can't do that, nor those decathletes, nor those 45 second 400m sprinters that can squat 600 pounds... but I can. I train across broad time and modal domains, I have 2 minute Grace with 135 pounds which means I can lift more bags of trash into a garbage truck faster than 98% of the human beings on this planet. Screw a 3:25 mile over 10,000m like those unfit olympic champions and their phd coaches that know pointless exercise science, they can't deadlift 700 pounds, therefore are useless in the REAL world, its better to run a 17 minute mile over a hundred miles and be able to snatch 150 pounds like me. Because of this, I'm a better athlete then them, fitter, stronger, higher quantity of mental toughness, and physically more experienced. So before you exercise challenge me on the intranet, do your research on who you are talking to, because you may run into the Achilles of fitness.
So is this board Diet IGX now? Those of us in the stands who could give a shit less about either side would really like to know.

By the way, your internet Kung-Fu is honed and effective. Kudos champion.
Matt Cricchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator