Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Some interesting info:

All whey protein manufactured in the US is from the whey run off of cheese manufacturing. The grass fed whey is the run off from organic, grass-fed cheeses. This means that the whey has basically been pasteurized twice.

Now, there's a manufacturer in France whom has "native" whey available. This means the protein was manufactured from the milk, not the cheese by products. Apparently this means that more unfractionated whole proteins are available.

The Protein Factory is the only place I've seen selling this stuff right now.

$14.00 a pound for the bulk, unsweetened isolate. France doesn't allow any hormone enhancement with their milk cows.

More info below. I found this kind of interesting.

http://proteinfactory.com/shop/produ...3&cat=0&page=1

In the PF forum there are some threads about this and grass fed whey.
I never knew that before. I just always assumed that all whey came directly from milk. At $14 a pound it's cheaper than grass fed whey too, and if you buy the 5 pounder, it's an even better deal. Thanks for passing that along. I think I'm going to try this next, it's cheaper and I can't believe you can actually customize your own protein powder.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #12
Steve Shafley

There's also trueprotein.com on the west coast, which is another quality company, though they do not offer the native whey stuff.

Now, take into account that there's no research on the claims made for native whey at this time, and also, due to the interest this has generated, there are some US manufacturers looking at making native whey products if the volume is there.

The protein factory and true protein both have good reputations.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
Samuel Hughes

I use trueprotein. Great customer service and totally customizable product if you want to geek out. No idea how it will treat your GI tract, but I have never had problems with any of it. I get 5% off with my discount code as well-- slh332.

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Jarod Barker

All this time I've just been buying ON, Designer Whey, or GNC brand, I didn't even know there were companies out there that let you design your own mix. I'm definitely going to have to try this out. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
Samuel Hughes

just reading another one of your posts chad, I'd highly recommend trying some beta-alanine for interval oriented efforts as well. I picked it up when I was boxing, but I think it would be very helpful in the test/training format you described. For me, a cup of coffee and a small spoon of beta-alanine gets me through most almost any workout. Fairly cheap too.

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
Jarod Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Hughes View Post
just reading another one of your posts chad, I'd highly recommend trying some beta-alanine for interval oriented efforts as well. I picked it up when I was boxing, but I think it would be very helpful in the test/training format you described. For me, a cup of coffee and a small spoon of beta-alanine gets me through most almost any workout. Fairly cheap too.
Thanks Sam, I'll give some beta alanine a shot. I used to use GPLC preworkout, but I didn't think it was worth the price for the small difference it made. Beta alanine is relatively cheap though, so I'll definitely give it a shot.

UPDATE: I switched flavors of APS whey, and magically all my troubles just disappeared. So, I believe then just from process of elimination that it must have been something to do with the "Natural Chocolate Flavor" that was upsetting my stomach. On a side note, this is some of the best tasting vanilla whey I've ever tried.

Thanks for all the input guys!